Ted Roof's job

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can't say I'm happy with the D the last couple of games. We have gotten exposed a bit. I can't say for certain what calls would fix things. It's a game of inches and our guys on D keep coming up a few inches short. There were a couple of nice pass plays Duke made that I thought we had successfully defended, bat away or pick, only to see the WR haul in a helluva catch for big plays. Were those plays successful for Duke because of bad play calls, bad schemes, or bad techniques? If we had made the pick or bat away instead those plays would have been big in their affect on the scoreboard.

I see a little improvement here and there but the problem is our breakdowns seem to be increasing which is not what you want mid season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Many are discussing our talent or lack thereof so I'll chime in a bit.
I like our safeties but one is young and I think the game hasn't slowed down for him yet.
Our corners are scrappy but short. Creates big problems with scheme.
We lack speed and agility at LB.
Our DEs can't bring constant pressure. A flash here and there but not enough heat.
Our DTs......I think there is huge potential here and I have high hopes for the future. Our best overall is an undersized senior with huge heart who works his butt off. But he's undersized and it shows at times. I think our next best there are one true frosh, one RS frosh, and one true soph. I love the upside of these 3 but they are still maturing physically and no where near their prime in college.

They have made some good plays and are capable of better I think. But no they are not a top 40 D and probably not top 60. Then again there probably isn't much separating the top 50 and top 80 Ds around the country, which is probably a big reason why we see more shootouts than defensive struggles on Saturdays.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I like our safeties but one is young and I think the game hasn't slowed down for him yet.
Our DEs can't bring constant pressure. A flash here and there but not enough heat.
Our DTs......I think there is huge potential here and I have high hopes for the future. Our best overall is an undersized senior with huge heart who works his butt off. But he's undersized and it shows at times. I think our next best there are one true frosh, one RS frosh, and one true soph. I love the upside of these 3 but they are still maturing physically and no where near their prime in college.

They have made some good plays and are capable of better I think. But no they are not a top 40 D and probably not top 60. Then again there probably isn't much separating the top 50 and top 80 Ds around the country, which is probably a big reason why we see more shootouts than defensive struggles on Saturdays.

We need better CBs and DE's. LB has some cruits but I don't know about their speed. We need more athleticism over size there.

Who do we have at DE in the pipeline? I'm talking big fast athletic guys like attaochu? None that I know of.

We will not get a rush without them.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wish I knew the magic answer to fix this... I will drop this statistic that includes the Duke game...
"Duke converted eight of 13 third downs, increasing Tech’s defensive third-down conversion rate to 50.9 percent, last in FBS."

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Wish I knew the magic answer to fix this... I will drop this statistic that includes the Duke game...
"Duke converted eight of 13 third downs, increasing Tech’s defensive third-down conversion rate to 50.9 percent, last in FBS."
Over the last 3 games, our opponent has converted on 27 of 44 third downs. That's a conversion rate of 61%.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't go quoting actual facts and stats. Roof lovers will go all over the way to bend those numbers... Just to say how great he is...
It is a piss poor trend but lets see the stat line at the end of the season. 4 More regular season games than we can compare stats with all the other NCAA or ACC defenses. We are lose 3 starts next year and only 5 in the two deep. Duke QB didn't make a mistake during the game that I can remember. The TO in the first half definitely masked our isses but ya know we still got the W. And to be honest, that probably knocked them out of bowl eligibility. The only game they may be favored in is the Miami game given how Miami is reeling. That was a bittersweet game. Duke seemed well prepared coming out of the bye week and we looked in chaos the second half. We are missing the one player on the D side that used to help stop the reeling. JA45 was that guy for awhile. Just no dynamic

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It has been so frustrating watching the D from BDS the last two home games, but last night I watched the game replay and actually the D looked much better than I recalled. There was a lot of hustle and effort (even some animated enthusiasm among the players) and the overall performance was encouraging at times. We were real close to breaking up several passes but were just a little late. Some pass rush would go a long way in improving our D. Communication also continues to be an issue, not only getting the call from the sideline and getting lined up, but our CBs were still chasing the receivers while the ball carriers are running loose downfield (for instance somebodys need to yell "run" or "pass" after the snap and give them some help).

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
It would also be nice if we got some calls. I know holding doesn't happen often but when it is so blatant you have to get those calls. We always seem to be at the bottom of the ACC at opponents penalty yards.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

interesting thoughts
on corners--the short part was OBVIOUS 3 yrs ago when we signed them but ANY mention of that was pooh-poohed as negative--even in the world of many 6-3 ,215 lb WRs--probably playing as well as possible
safeties-one is a QB learning def and the other was lightly recruited for a reason
DE--Rod RC (a starter) had 1 tackle assist in dook game and no rush--and he is on 1st unit--enuff said,- also I don't know what happened to Keshun but it "ain't good"
DT-I agree, and hope for future
LBs-- without PJ, very limited in exp and cover or tackling skills at this point

def not good BUT-- this game may have turned on the AJ tackle/fumble that saved a TD--the type of plays that we have GOT to get just sometimes to win

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The TV camera focused in on Coach Roof at one point during the second half Duke onslaught and Coach Roof just rested his face in his hands. That kinda summed up the defense's performance for me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The TV camera focused in on Coach Roof at one point during the second half Duke onslaught and Coach Roof just rested his face in his hands. That kinda summed up the defense's performance for me.

LOL...then he raised his head and a bunch of curse words followed if you read his lips.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

I kinda want him on the sideline just so he gets his point across. Roof is fiery and you can see it before when he is yelling the play call into the headset.

I kinda want him on the sideline just so he gets his point across. Roof is fiery and you can see it before when he is yelling the play call into the headset.
So was he on the sideline or upstairs Saturday? I thought I saw before the game that he was going to be in the box, but it sure looked like him that I saw on the field a couple of times during the game. Which was it?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It has been so frustrating watching the D from BDS the last two home games, but last night I watched the game replay and actually the D looked much better than I recalled. There was a lot of hustle and effort (even some animated enthusiasm among the players) and the overall performance was encouraging at times. We were real close to breaking up several passes but were just a little late. Some pass rush would go a long way in improving our D. Communication also continues to be an issue, not only getting the call from the sideline and getting lined up, but our CBs were still chasing the receivers while the ball carriers are running loose downfield (for instance somebodys need to yell "run" or "pass" after the snap and give them some help).

This is one of the things that is so frustrating. We are so tantalizingly close to getting a stop, then like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football it's taken away.

I am wondering if Simmons will take a step forward in his run defense this week. That could help out a lot. Duke just ate him alive with the read option, to the extent we couldn't have him on the field. But we needed his rush terribly. Per the announcers there was a big t0-do on our sideline about it. Seems like it's more something he needs to learn than lack of ability. Hopefully this is the catalyst to his learning.

Hopefully PJ is 100%. He's a fiery guy and his return and desire to chase the ball down and make a hit....well, that kind of thing can be contagious. This would be a good week for the defense to play better!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Don't go quoting actual facts and stats. Roof lovers will go all over the way to bend those numbers... Just to say how great he is...

For a poster who can post great stuff and has some good observations, it's baffling to me you are unaware how the above comes across.

People have different opinions. Show some respect for others' opinions and they will have more respect for yours--and more chance of coming around to seeing it your way. Not only more effective, but more decent as well.