Ted Roof's job

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
He inherited a Deffense that was already good, it's not like he was the one that built that defense up and originally coached the kids up, the defensive coordinator before him did that imo. There's obviously a reason he did that there but hasn't at other places imo, and the reason is what I said above. Penn state had a better defense the year before he came. So I am being honest....I don't see what he has done, if it was him that did so good at penn state shouldn't he be able to do that at other schools? Maybe I should rephrase my question to, what has roof done and built up himself?

It's one thing to talk about a coach using the former coach's players (I.e. In terms of recruiting), but you can't say that he used the former coach's scheme and play calling. If you are talking about player development, I would first look at the positional coaches. However, I'm sure penn state's players were more talented to begin with.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's one thing to talk about a coach using the former coach's players (I.e. In terms of recruiting), but you can't say that he used the former coach's scheme and play calling. If you are talking about player development, I would first look at the positional coaches. However, I'm sure penn state's players were more talented to begin with.
I wasn't talking about scheme at all, I was talking about player development. I didn't say anything about using the former coaches scheme or play calling. And penn states players were definitely talented before roof got there, they gave up less points per game the year before he was there, and that's my point. I want to know where he himself recruited and built a top D with his player development.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Please stop on all this coach job stuff till we return from to Athens.
A couple good games and then a couple bad games are likely.
I hope we have a major signiture win to demonstrate that coach has fixed the offense and roof has built a a foundation.
View attachment 1939
We did ok last year save a few plays.
What do you mean by a signature win to show roof has built a foundation? He has had plenty of time for that and one win against a team that isn't that good isn't a good gauge for that. Our D has been awful for a good while now. I've said this before but here it is again I like roof as a recruiter but not a D coordinator. In his career he hasn't build a top D anywhere imo, so why would we think it's going to happen at GT? I trust cpj for one reason and that's his history as running an offense, if roof had that history I would trust him as well.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
What do you mean by a signature win to show roof has built a foundation? He has had plenty of time for that and one win against a team that isn't that good isn't a good gauge for that. Our D has been awful for a good while now. I've said this before but here it is again I like roof as a recruiter but not a D coordinator. In his career he hasn't build a top D anywhere imo, so why would we think it's going to happen at GT? I trust cpj for one reason and that's his history as running an offense, if roof had that history I would trust him as well.

I keep seeing the AU job come up.

He won a NC b/c of Cam. His D was terrible. Gave up a lot of points, Cam just had to outscore them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the Ted Roof critics are not accurately reporting the facts of his record as a defensive coordinator. He was the DC at Auburn when they won a National Championship, he had a great defense at Minnesota and at Penn State with Bill O'Brien. He is building a solid defense here at Tech. He was offered the DC position at LSU just in the past year or so. Do you think LSU would hire someone incompetent to lead their storied defense?

I guess the purpose of message boards is to give so called fans an outlet to express their opinions. It's unfortunate so many of those opinions are uninformed.

Go Jackets!

Minnesota: was ranked in the 70's in total D when he was there.

Penn state: he inherited.

Auburn: their D was not good at all but they had cam newton.

Ted roof met with les miles but they also had 25 other candidates lol and he was not offered the job unless you can show me otherwise? Also your talking about a school that just fired their head coach who interviewed roof for the job. So that doesn't mean it would have been a good hire, schools and coaches do make mistakes on who they hire.

So I don't see how any of these points are valid arguments as to him being a good D coordinator. Plus we are GT were not a factory school so if we are going to go down this route of comparing him to other schools we need to compare apples to apples.

I want someone to show me where he himself has built a solid D not using other recruits or using other players that had already been developed and was already on a very good D before he got there, because that's what he has to do at GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Specific recruiting info on TR
Today on way to gt/gsu stopped at whataburger in century fla. Guy saw my gt shirt and asked who we are playing. Blah blah asked how is coach roof doing. My answere definitely good recruiter and seems to be building defense but pretty bland.
He said, my son nieko robinson was recruited by ted roof to psu. Bill obrien and he flew to mobile and came to century to recruit him. When roof left psu his son returned and is playing at south ala. Nieko Robinson. The guy had nothing but good to say about roof.

Roof recruited a guy from basically south alabama to state College Pennsylvania.
Go ford plan should include
Give roof some assistance and put him on a plane.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Today on way to gt/gsu stopped at whataburger in century fla. Guy saw my gt shirt and asked who we are playing. Blah blah asked how is coach roof doing. My answere definitely good recruiter and seems to be building defense but pretty bland.
He said, my son nieko robinson was recruited by ted roof to psu. Bill obrien and he flew to mobile and came to century to recruit him. When roof left psu his son returned and is playing at south ala. Nieko Robinson. The guy had nothing but good to say about roof.

Roof recruited a guy from basically south alabama to state College Pennsylvania.

That's a cool story but Nieko leaving PSU had NOTHING to do with Roof.

I am sitting 2.7 miles from USA campus where Joey and I are friends.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Not to down play roof as a recruiter because I think he's probably one of the best we have but penn state was arguable the kids best offer and a lot of kids will go to a school that has the best program if they weren't offered by a lot of schools.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to down play roof as a recruiter because I think he's probably one of the best we have but penn state was arguable the kids best offer and a lot of kids will go to a school that has the best program if they weren't offered by a lot of schools.

Nieko wasn't eligible to play FBS.
That's why he had to go to JUCO and then South.

But yea who wouldn't pick PSU over South...c'mon

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Jerry, help me out here.
A recruits dad said he's a good guy.
What specifically do yiu know?

1. IMO for last two classes HE us recruiting bigger stronger more field ready freshman and he's playing them. Needs to take hard look at staff, recruit wider area, and run the yellow jackets loose.
2. Roof will get a signiture part of win when defense gets muliples turn overs in second half that allows offense to score late. See 1

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's a cool story but Nieko leaving PSU had NOTHING to do with Roof.

I am sitting 2.7 miles from USA campus where Joey and I are friends.
Wonder if roof had said what would have made him leave?
Could he not play with big school? Was he an academics issue? Home sick?
USA seems to be pretty good? Is nieko a starter?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's hard for me to phantom the level of dislike for Ted Roof by these folks. I mean if he was a bulldawg, a wife beater and a child rapist, well yeah. Fortunately, it's just a vocal minority. Their really going to slit their wrists when Ted is named Head Coach at Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard for me to phantom the level of dislike for Ted Roof by these folks. I mean if he was a bulldawg, a wife beater and a child rapist, well yeah. Fortunately, it's just a vocal minority. Their really going to slit their wrists when Ted is named Head Coach at Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!
I would rather GT hire one of those firms that some schools use to suggest who to hire as head football head coach rather than have GT hire Ted Roof as head coach. I will always like Ted because of the memories i have of him kicking arse at linebacker for GT but he's a mediocre coach in my opinion.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Minority lol? I think you wanting to keep roof is the minority.

If your so right why did you ignor my last comment about your argument to why roof is so good?

Also people that have said they want a new D coordinator said they like roof as a person and even a recruiter. So how is saying they want a new D coordinator showing a level of dislike?

Wanting a new coordinator and not liking someone are two totally different things, it's almost like your just seeing things that aren't even there. Take what people say for what they are actually saying without twisting it. Show me one time someone said they don't like roof.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Wow, was hoping for a suggestion measureable and trackabble stat we could watch improve against vt, unc, uga.
Percent drives with 3 out. Improved field position. Stopped opening drives.

Today should be a cake walk for the defense