Taxslayer Wrap-up

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well I am first of all glad we won to cap off a very successful season. I thought it was telling of ESPN and ABC at halftime of the Bama game when they did not even mention the score of the Tech / Kentucky game but played the highlights of the LSU / Louisville game and hyped the SEC a little more. Just another fine example of media playing to their agenda.

To be honest, I thought we played pretty poorly and could have easily beat these Cats by 50 points of more if we had played better and if CPJ had called a bit of a better game. The B Back dive play was there all day and it was clear they could not stop it. Why Johnson kept trying to throw the ball and run wide plays was a mystery to me. I would have just run the damn ball right down their throat the whole game. The defense played OK but still gave up way too many third and longs and gave they Ky. receivers too much space. Well I have been critical of others saying we just did not win good enough so I will quit complaining but it gets frustrating to see us play below our capabilities and leave these games in doubt when we should be dominating these basketball schools.

As for next year, you never know what you got until you get out there and play. I would not get overly excited or overly depressed. It is a long way until we tee it up to play Tennessee in the new dome. Hopefully the guys will put in a good off season of work and preparation and come ready play this coming fall.

Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......The B Back dive play was there all day and it was clear they could not stop it. Why Johnson kept trying to throw the ball and run wide plays was a mystery to me. I would have just run the damn ball right down their throat the whole game. ........

As for next year, you never know what you got until you get out there and play. I would not get overly excited or overly depressed. It is a long way until we tee it up to play Tennessee in the new dome. Hopefully the guys will put in a good off season of work and preparation and come ready play this coming fall.

Go Jackets!

I was glad we ran the dive as much as we did and would have liked to see one entire drive of nothing but dive and eating the clock. For a non-GT fan, that is the most boring thing to watch. But I only want to win.

Imagine next year if we can add the mid-line as a regular staple with one of the two QBs sharing playing time!! Just straight up smash mouth football. ACC style.

As to next year, you are so right we won't know till we get there. When I do my "113 Years of GT Football" review, I'll highlight the wide variance in performance from year to year. 9 loses to 9 wins. Wow.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was kinda cool they had started to turn the program around and would be another tough team for ugag to play. The coach made me change my mind. If I were one of there recruits I would be totally turned off about wanting to play for that jerk.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be good to show these idiots the two plays where their two guys went down. Nothing dirty about them from the replays I saw. Just football in the trenches. One was a clip that happened in the middle of the battle (first time I have seen this called on us in a long long time). The other I cannot quite remember just remember thinking that was just in the course of the fight. and wasn't the chop block penalty (first in a long time for us) come from our D and not our O? they are cry babies when they are supposed to be the big, rough, SEC football players (had to laugh when the announcers took Kentucky to win because they are so big and tough).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was shocked when it went from 1 second to 3 seconds

I believe this is what happened. On the play in real time Stewart caught the ball and fell and rolled/tumbled out of bounds. The clock stopped at 1 second when the ref signaled for it to stop at the end of the play. The K coach contested the call claiming Stewart was not out of bonds. This would mean a first down with clock starting when the chains were reset. Stoops was correct in that Stewart hit the ground in bounds for a first down . However, by calling for a replay look, the Stewart hit on the ground occurred at the 3 second mark. Stoops won the argument but it cost him 2 seconds and 3 points likely. Stoops was right and the refs got it right but the K fans in the stands did not get it at all.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your are right... the game clock should have started when the chains were set and the game clock never started. This should have resulted in an end of quarter without a snap. GT benefited from someone not starting the clock once the chains were set and the ref moved out of the way.

I am not sure what a coach can do at that point. Can you challenge that the clock did not start as it should. If you won would they end the quarter?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Your are right... the game clock should have started when the chains were set and the game clock never started. This should have resulted in an end of quarter without a snap. GT benefited from someone not starting the clock once the chains were set and the ref moved out of the way.

I am not sure what a coach can do at that point. Can you challenge that the clock did not start as it should. If you won would they end the quarter?
Great question - does anyone know?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It worked. But there have been so many times, me included, where paul guessed wrong and we end up with an incomplete pass on 3rd down trying to run the clock out we all pull our hair out going wtf.

Just like going for it on our 15. It worked. Not exactly the same scenario but it didnt vs pitt.

Point is....paul is the same guy. We fans react ebb and flow. He is who he is. I will take the good of his gambling and deal with the occasional bad vs the chan gutless wonder ****.
The Pitt situation was totally different. I totally understand going for it 4th and inches at the 15 up with time left on the clock and us being successful running the clock. The worst thing would be that Kentucky would have tied the game. The Pitt situation was a tie game with only a couple of minutes left. In that situation, punt the ball and rely on your defense to get you to OT and win it there. Don't make it and you've essentially guaranteed Pitt field position (essentially already in FG range for Blewitt) and a good chance to win the game. Very different situations in my opinion.

It reminds me of the 2013 game against uga. Instead of trying to push the ball 25 yards at the end of the game, he ran the clock out and went to OT. I always felt we should have tried to advance the ball and win that game in regulation. I never had a good feeling in OT.
The game called by the refs certainly was not an example of great reffing. Both teams got hosed on some calls and got away with several obvious penalties. It was pretty equally bad though and neither team got shortchanged on the bad or no calls.

Most blatant one we got away with was a pi / def hold on...PJD I think.

Bottom line though. The better team stomped the lesser one physically....playing clean football you whiney pussycats. Stick to bball if football is too rough for your sweet souls. Or man the F up.
That wasn't a catchable ball. That's why it wasn't called. They saw it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Well I am first of all glad we won to cap off a very successful season. I thought it was telling of ESPN and ABC at halftime of the Bama game when they did not even mention the score of the Tech / Kentucky game but played the highlights of the LSU / Louisville game and hyped the SEC a little more. Just another fine example of media playing to their agenda.

To be honest, I thought we played pretty poorly and could have easily beat these Cats by 50 points of more if we had played better and if CPJ had called a bit of a better game. The B Back dive play was there all day and it was clear they could not stop it. Why Johnson kept trying to throw the ball and run wide plays was a mystery to me. I would have just run the damn ball right down their throat the whole game. The defense played OK but still gave up way too many third and longs and gave they Ky. receivers too much space. Well I have been critical of others saying we just did not win good enough so I will quit complaining but it gets frustrating to see us play below our capabilities and leave these games in doubt when we should be dominating these basketball schools.

Go Jackets!

Did we see the same game? Through 3 quarters Tech held the pussycats to less than 200 yards total offense and 3 points. Tech was up by 20 points to begin the 4th. Garbage time numbers to make it look closer that is actually was.