Taxslayer Wrap-up

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It worked. But there have been so many times, me included, where paul guessed wrong and we end up with an incomplete pass on 3rd down trying to run the clock out we all pull our hair out going wtf.

Just like going for it on our 15. It worked. Not exactly the same scenario but it didnt vs pitt.

Point is....paul is the same guy. We fans react ebb and flow. He is who he is. I will take the good of his gambling and deal with the occasional bad vs the chan gutless wonder ****.

This pretty much sums it up. Paul is who he is. He is not going to change and he is, in many ways the antithesis of Chan. Chan was the product of pro football. Play conservatively on offense for the most part, win with defense and kicking game. He was a good coach and gave us some memorable wins but I absolutely hated watching his teams play. (Except for the defense, of course) To me, the worst thing about Chan was being totally dependent on a set game plan just like the pros. I know there are those who hate the triple option and all its variances that we employ but as we saw in the bowl game it is very difficult to prepare for because what you try to emulate in practice is nothing like the real thing. JT and Dedrick are executing that mesh a hundred times faster than what you can do in practice with a defensive back or former high school option quarterback its just not the same. Like Coach Bowden used to say at FSU: "Dadgum wishbone"

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well I am first of all glad we won to cap off a very successful season. I thought it was telling of ESPN and ABC at halftime of the Bama game when they did not even mention the score of the Tech / Kentucky game but played the highlights of the LSU / Louisville game and hyped the SEC a little more. Just another fine example of media playing to their agenda.

To be honest, I thought we played pretty poorly and could have easily beat these Cats by 50 points of more if we had played better and if CPJ had called a bit of a better game. The B Back dive play was there all day and it was clear they could not stop it. Why Johnson kept trying to throw the ball and run wide plays was a mystery to me. I would have just run the damn ball right down their throat the whole game. The defense played OK but still gave up way too many third and longs and gave they Ky. receivers too much space. Well I have been critical of others saying we just did not win good enough so I will quit complaining but it gets frustrating to see us play below our capabilities and leave these games in doubt when we should be dominating these basketball schools.

As for next year, you never know what you got until you get out there and play. I would not get overly excited or overly depressed. It is a long way until we tee it up to play Tennessee in the new dome. Hopefully the guys will put in a good off season of work and preparation and come ready play this coming fall.

Go Jackets!

I agree that the dive was there. Kentucky it seems was determined to not give up the big plays on the wide running plays or the seam routes. They played us a little bit differently than most teams. I really believe that they thought their two big boys (and boy howdy they were BIG) would be able to clog running lanes and stuff the inside dive plays. There was not as much gap blitzing by safeties as done by say Duke and Virginia Tech. Others may disagree but I felt like their approach was different from most teams we played this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think Stoop knew but didn't know that FSU 2012 was successful because of talent and speed rather than scheme. He didn't have a real plan to compensate.

That being said, between O penalties and just good D, we were less successful in the red zone than normal.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I know there are those who hate the triple option and all its variances that we employ but as we saw in the bowl game it is very difficult to prepare for because what you try to emulate in practice is nothing like the real thing. JT and Dedrick are executing that mesh a hundred times faster than what you can do in practice with a defensive back or former high school option quarterback its just not the same. Like Coach Bowden used to say at FSU: "Dadgum wishbone"

As PJ has said to me numerous times, "It's the speed at which the offense hits you" that is hard to simulate in practice.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
They are in Basketball but they're completely clueless in Football.

I was surrounded by UK fans in my seat in the stands. They were not obnoxious like UM fans but they did not seem to be very football savvy. They got totally hung up on the 10 seconds put back on the clock when were were driving for a score with little time left in the second Q. GT was stopped on a run play but it took about 10 seconds for the stadium clock to stop. It was obvious that GT would (and the coach did) take a quick time out. The UK fans never seem to grasp that a sideline TO was called and because the field clock did not stop an adjustment was made by the refs to fix the time remaining. For the rest of the game the UK fans sarcastically chanted at every opportunity to "add 10 seconds to the clock". They were also clueless about the events just before the end of the first half.

I do give them credit for turning out in large numbers to support their team.There was UK blue everywhere except 15 minutes after the game when they totally disappeared while we were getting our trophy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was surrounded by UK fans in my seat in the stands. They were not obnoxious like UM fans but they did not seem to be very football savvy. They got totally hung up on the 10 seconds put back on the clock when were were driving for a score with little time left in the second Q. GT was stopped on a run play but it took about 10 seconds for the stadium clock to stop. It was obvious that GT would (and the coach did) take a quick time out. The UK fans never seem to grasp that a sideline TO was called and because the field clock did not stop an adjustment was made by the refs to fix the time remaining. For the rest of the game the UK fans sarcastically chanted at every opportunity to "add 10 seconds to the clock". They were also clueless about the events just before the end of the first half.

I do give them credit for turning out in large numbers to support their team.There was UK blue everywhere except 15 minutes after the game when they totally disappeared while we were getting our trophy.
Guess they didn't want to see how the trophy looked. :)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After uk closed to within 8 on a long pass , 4 minutes remained.

I am so pleased to see the young and I mean very young ol. Three true freshmen and a soph and one senior were so efficient.
If we weren't in panic mode last year the sophmore ,Will Bryan , would be a RF . These guys were key in every play of the drive .
On one play Lee even helped the uk nt get up. That was just before he very seuruptiously moved from lt to strong line right tackle. On the snap he and rt blocked down and Will Bryan folded around them with mills following into end zone.

Along the way coach made the uk coach look stupid on the pass call to Ricky j, but remember this was with mostly high school plus 1 year players on the field.

Sham and klock and freddie had been injured during season and these kids stepped up. During this drive they played like veterans.

Credit to them but Big time credit to coach for adding coach west and for coach west and sewak teaching these young ol.
West + Sewak resulted in an amazing improvement. Great coaching

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems that I bothered the UK fan sitting in front of me. He said he had never heard anybody scream so loud & I hurt his ears & gave him a headache!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL::cry::cool:

SO SAD - SO SORRY - NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in Savannah, your husband be

head-coach-paul-johnson.jpg

:)(y)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This pretty much sums it up. Paul is who he is. He is not going to change and he is, in many ways the antithesis of Chan. Chan was the product of pro football. Play conservatively on offense for the most part, win with defense and kicking game. He was a good coach and gave us some memorable wins but I absolutely hated watching his teams play. (Except for the defense, of course) To me, the worst thing about Chan was being totally dependent on a set game plan just like the pros. I know there are those who hate the triple option and all its variances that we employ but as we saw in the bowl game it is very difficult to prepare for because what you try to emulate in practice is nothing like the real thing. JT and Dedrick are executing that mesh a hundred times faster than what you can do in practice with a defensive back or former high school option quarterback its just not the same. Like Coach Bowden used to say at FSU: "Dadgum wishbone"
Though I still think he sets brushfires he doesn't have to with that defensive posturing on occasion (what he has to be defensive about baffles me; except of course those practice shorts) I like the attitude of "this is what we do, so stop us", and his faith in the offense to get a yard from anywhere on the field, and in his defense to step up if they don't. Oddly i see similarities with Swinney in a different way. Clemson was up 17-0 late in the first with little time left on Clemson's end of the field against OSU, Watson had already thrown an interception, and Swinney had faith enough in both O and D to keep slinging it, trying to get another score before the half. Then I remember GT's players reacting to Johnson going for the win on fourth down against Wake Forest in '08, I think it was. They do react to it, and to a competitive coach who lets them compete. As one said, who wouldn't want to play for a coach like that? Makes me wish Stoops had kept coming toward the Tech bench.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree that the dive was there. Kentucky it seems was determined to not give up the big plays on the wide running plays or the seam routes. They played us a little bit differently than most teams. I really believe that they thought their two big boys (and boy howdy they were BIG) would be able to clog running lanes and stuff the inside dive plays. There was not as much gap blitzing by safeties as done by say Duke and Virginia Tech. Others may disagree but I felt like their approach was different from most teams we played this year.

This. Looking back, it seemed like the Stoopster was content to let us put together long drives and dared us not to make a mistake somewhere along the way. Bend but don't break, if u will. (Hmm, sounds familiar..) To their credit they did force 4 FG (well, 3 if u don't count the one we got as time expired after the blocked punt to end the 1st half)

A good coach would have adjusted when that clearly wasn't working... and firing a corner does not help stop the BB dive...

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
Though I still think he sets brushfires he doesn't have to with that defensive posturing on occasion (what he has to be defensive about baffles me; except of course those practice shorts) I like the attitude of "this is what we do, so stop us", and his faith in the offense to get a yard from anywhere on the field, and in his defense to step up if they don't. Oddly i see similarities with Swinney in a different way. Clemson was up 17-0 late in the first with little time left on Clemson's end of the field against OSU, Watson had already thrown an interception, and Swinney had faith enough in both O and D to keep slinging it, trying to get another score before the half. Then I remember GT's players reacting to Johnson going for the win on fourth down against Wake Forest in '08, I think it was. They do react to it, and to a competitive coach who lets them compete. As one said, who wouldn't want to play for a coach like that? Makes me wish Stoops had kept coming toward the Tech bench.

Along the same lines, I don't know many other coaches who have the balls to call the same exact play on back to back snaps after you got the look from the defense you wanted on the first one but the team didn't quite execute.

And if it's obvious enough for the announcers to notice (see long pass to Searcy in UGag game right after pass to BStewart), you know other coaches know about that tendency. And yet, more often than not it works.

I can imagine the players in the huddle going "well, he said run it again, so let's get it right this time" and feeling amped about getting a 2nd shot.

I remember a long pass from JfN to Demaryius Thomas in '09 (either UVA or ACCCG... or both?) that fit that description. Anyone remember any of the others?

EDIT: The pass to Stewart right before the FG to end the 1st half on Saturday is another example. Pass was a bit off target the first time, so we ran it again and got it.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have really gotten tired of this being called a gimmick offense. It takes far more skill than chucking it down field every play.
If you watched Wisconsin today, they looked a lot like us - under center snaps; 80% runs; jet sweeps and other plays getting to the edge; and then jamming it down your throat football up the middle. No TO but a lot of the same stuff just different plays to some extent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. If a team hasn't played our O much, they tend to take all this "assignment football" stuff seriously and concentrate on stopping the plays we "get the most yards from"; i.e. the edge stuff. If they have played us a lot - like our ACC opponents - they know that the hand that taketh away simply opens the hand that giveth. There isn't anyway to play us by spotting our "tendencies"; those are set as the game goes on after the first series or two where Coach can see what they are trying to do. Also, stopping (or, more exactly, slowing down) one aspect of our game doesn't discourage the players. They know that we'll find a way unless we are completely overmatched (Clemson this year). I think this is very frustrating for opposing coaches, especially as they realize what's happening to them.

And, yes, I love it when that happens.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Fwiw, I think Stoop knew but didn't know that FSU 2012 was successful because of talent and speed rather than scheme. He didn't have a real plan to compensate.
He knew he couldn't compete on a level playing field. His plan was to try to be disruptive hoping we'd get out of our game & he could hype his players up enough to win. It was pretty clear to me- whine like a ***** & hope the refs give you calls, try to get our guys to respond to the antics instead of the game knowing we don't have enough depth if he can get a few of our stars thrown out, pray for a couple breaks and see if you could keep it close at the end. It pretty much worked other than he was unsuccessful getting any of our guys ejected.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Yes. If a team hasn't played our O much, they tend to take all this "assignment football" stuff seriously and concentrate on stopping the Iplays we "get the most yards from"; i.e. the edge stuff. If they have played us a lot - like our ACC opponents - they know that the hand that taketh away simply opens the hand that giveth. There isn't anyway to play us by spotting our "tendencies"; those are set as the game goes on after the first series or two where Coach can see what they are trying to do. Also, stopping (or, more exactly, slowing down) one aspect of our game doesn't discourage the players. They know that we'll find a way unless we are completely overmatched (Clemson this year). I think this is very frustrating for opposing coaches, especially as they realize what's happening to them.

And, yes, I love it when that happens.
If it were me, (I know disregard everything that follows) and I were playing Tech I would blitz creatively with my best athlete, like a strong safety and pray that my linebackers are fast enough to cover the edge. It really helps if you have a tackle or two that is disruptive and difficult to block. Having pro type studs across the front seven like Clemson is even better.