Taxslayer Wrap-up

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let there be no doubt that both teams were pumped for the game. Just rewatch and see the pushing and shoving.

A couple of breaks went our way to help us stay confident.

The scoop and score (Gamble causes fumble and Davis takes it to the house).
The D with the 4th down stop inside the 10.
Have to give CTR some credit today.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Great end to a great season. I got to spend the day with my Dad @Everbank Stadium, and cheer for the brave and bold in the white and gold. There are many reasons for optimism moving into the offseason.
-Dedrick Mills could be a Dwyer-esque type talent at BBack.
-Our left side of the line will be good for 3 more years. Lee, Braun, and Cooper will have this offseason to truly Mesh with Bryan and Klock.
-All of the receivers that received meaningful minutes are coming back.
-There will be healthy competition at QB this spring and into next fall.
-Searcy, Lynch, Green, might be our deepest and most talented AB corp, in a while.
-the DL loses Gamble, but a lot of people coming back have experience.
-we will miss PJD, but we have athleticism and experience coming back.
-our entire secondary returns, which is huge IMO.
-We may miss Butker more than anything, we need to make sure Bulovas signs the dotted line.
-Rodwell, I have mixed reviews on Rodwell, yes he was a very inconsistent punter, but he was as automatic as you can be as a place holder.
If anyone disagrees, please respond, but I can't help but feel excited after witnessing that game today.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Great end to a great season. I got to spend the day with my Dad @Everbank Stadium, and cheer for the brave and bold in the white and gold. There are many reasons for optimism moving into the offseason.
-Our left side of the line will be good for 3 more years. Lee, Braun, and Cooper will have this offseason to truly Mesh with Bryan and Klock.
-Searcy, Lynch, Green, might be our deepest and most talented AB corp, in a while.
-We may miss Butker more than anything, we need to make sure Bulovas signs the dotted line.
-Rodwell, I have mixed reviews on Rodwell, yes he was a very inconsistent punter, but he was as automatic as you can be as a place holder.
If anyone disagrees, please respond, but I can't help but feel excited after witnessing that game today.

It will be difficult to replace JT and Freddie on offense. Defensively PJ and Gamble are going to be missed. We don't actually lose that much compared to years past but as always at Georgia Tech it seems like the ones we lose are hard to replace. The kickers were very good this year and there have been times in the Coach Johnson era when special teams play was cause to hold your breath. Not so much this year. The primary reasons for optimism next year is the potential to have a very good offensive line and to have a defense that will be one of the best in the Johnson era. (I know that is not saying much but bear with me here)

Needs: Kicking game, depth on both lines, development of a backup to Mills and a satifsfactory quarterback competition. As far as I know, we are in good shape at Aback, receiver and the secondary.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.....-We may miss Butker more than anything, we need to make sure Bulovas signs the dotted line.

I don't disagree about BUtker. But he got a lot of points at GT and should be in the NFL next year. He even made the short, right hash FG today. The 53 yarder to end to first half was more likely to be good. But given how BUthker is going to NFL and got a lot of accolades (and points) I think we can (hope we can) keep Bulovas AND Harvin.

Harvin will be a massive upgrade over Rodwell.

Anyway for the game, I think CPJ should be fired for giving away our game plan. Dive. Nothin but dive. My son watched the game with us and was bored stiff. Every dive play we cheered ..... and I think more than half the plays were dives. But if it works, don't stop. The object is to win and the other team can't score without the ball. Football is a simple game.

We could well be better next year and win fewer games. That's because our ACC opponents are getting better too.

It was so nice to see us be much more physical than UK. Remember about 4-5 years ago when we were undersized and mauled on the lines? No mo.

I'm not worried that much about losing JT. The system is set up to create QBs.

slugboy

Staff member
I really had fun watching the game.
I think we'll miss Burden and Gamble a lot.
I think our running game looks great.
Butker has been huge. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes an NFL team.
I think we're in good shape at QB.
I think our return game will be better next year. I like having Stewart on punts. Cottrell looks like he's going to make waves on kickoffs.
On defense in the 4th, it makes sense why we moved to prevent--we ran off a lot of time what way. I would have loved holding them to 3 points, though.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that Rodwell definitely got a lot better this season. The blocked punt today was bad, but the run/punt option thing that he did this year did wonders to his punting. It almost never looked pretty, but he was fairly solid this year, and had that crazy long one against UNC.