Taxslayer Wrap-up

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Also our defense played less man and got pressure with a 4 man rush and held them out of the end zone for the most part. Two scores on two incredible plays by the UK QB and Rec. Coach Roof and the staff did a great job!

We did physically dominate and outside one series roof called a great game and had a great gameplan. Too bad he doesnt have a month to prep for every game ;)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Pitt situation was totally different. I totally understand going for it 4th and inches at the 15 up with time left on the clock and us being successful running the clock. The worst thing would be that Kentucky would have tied the game. The Pitt situation was a tie game with only a couple of minutes left. In that situation, punt the ball and rely on your defense to get you to OT and win it there. Don't make it and you've essentially guaranteed Pitt field position (essentially already in FG range for Blewitt) and a good chance to win the game. Very different situations in my opinion.

It reminds me of the 2013 game against uga. Instead of trying to push the ball 25 yards at the end of the game, he ran the clock out and went to OT. I always felt we should have tried to advance the ball and win that game in regulation. I never had a good feeling in OT.

That wasn't a catchable ball. That's why it wasn't called. They saw it.

I said it wasnt the same. But it is the same from the standpoint of rolling the dice. If you recall we had time to punt it there with 3 timeouts to still win the game iirc. But the bottom line is the comparison is not between the situations rather living with his aggressive style. Not sure if you see my point there or not. If that was chan he punts BOTH times

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Your are right... the game clock should have started when the chains were set and the game clock never started. This should have resulted in an end of quarter without a snap. GT benefited from someone not starting the clock once the chains were set and the ref moved out of the way.

I am not sure what a coach can do at that point. Can you challenge that the clock did not start as it should. If you won would they end the quarter?
I might be wrong, but after watching the game when I got home I think I know what happen

1- The sideline ref ruled that he made the catch and got out of bounds. When he was running up to mark the ball he was waving his arms over his head meaning " stop the clock, he was out of bounds". With that ruling the clock starts on the snap of the ball. I think this was a bad call as BS was was down before he slide to the sidelines. So he should have been making the big circle arm motion.

2- With UK losing the review, it is basically as if U.K. Called a TO so the clock starts on the snap.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky got all the calls. I really don't see how anyone can say we benefitted in the slightest from the refs. Both injuries on their D-Line was from straight drive blocks. The announcers even admitted it.

I can't remember a play where Keshun wasn't getting held - and it never got called.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I said it wasnt the same. But it is the same from the standpoint of rolling the dice. If you recall we had time to punt it there with 3 timeouts to still win the game iirc. But the bottom line is the comparison is not between the situations rather living with his aggressive style. Not sure if you see my point there or not. If that was chan he punts BOTH times
I followed what you were saying. I agree he's agressive, sometimes to the detriment of his team. I would not have had an issue if he didn't get it yesterday. But I thought the Pitt game was less agressiveness and more a poor decision. Likewise, the lack of aggressiveness in the 2013 uga game perplexed me. I loved the call yesterday. If you can't get 3 inches, then maybe you don't deserve to win.

You get what you get with CPJ. I much prefer that than the vanilla crap Chan put out. It's unfortunate that he was so damn conservative. I think with an aggresive offensive scheme, Chan could have been very successful with our attacking defense. We could have lost some games spectacularly, but we'd have won some spectacularly too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Comments from Jax--
I can't believe that Ky seemed to switch to a 3 front at end of game so there was no one (except LBs back off) in front of the guards.It GAVE Mills 3 yrd for sure.
That fumble return KILLED KY fans.They never really recovered.Team Played uphill all day.
It is SO sweet to have a SR QB to handle the team. AND a SR kicker who was PERFECT on every kick.Lord, I hope we don't miss him as much as I fear.
The Ky fans were NUMEROUS but amazingly docile.It was like they had never been there before-o yeah,they haven't.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I followed what you were saying. I agree he's agressive, sometimes to the detriment of his team. I would not have had an issue if he didn't get it yesterday. But I thought the Pitt game was less agressiveness and more a poor decision. Likewise, the lack of aggressiveness in the 2013 uga game perplexed me. I loved the call yesterday. If you can't get 3 inches, then maybe you don't deserve to win.

You get what you get with CPJ. I much prefer that than the vanilla crap Chan put out. It's unfortunate that he was so damn conservative. I think with an aggresive offensive scheme, Chan could have been very successful with our attacking defense. We could have lost some games spectacularly, but we'd have won some spectacularly too.

Fwiw, I disagree with both y'all. It seems like you're assessing a bet on a coin flip. He makes his decision based on what we can do and what the D is doing.

Versus Pitt, he had a play that he thought would work based on practice, and we ran it wrong. Versus Ky, they didn't cover the guard.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I disagree with both y'all. It seems like you're assessing a bet on a coin flip. He makes his decision based on what we can do and what the D is doing.

Versus Pitt, he had a play that he thought would work based on practice, and we ran it wrong. Versus Ky, they didn't cover the guard.
I get that too. He knows much more than me, and I like that he's aggressive in play calling. However, I didn't like the call in the Pitt game because of the situation, same in the 2013 uga game. A play can always get blown up. It's what happens IF the play gets blown up that's more important to me. I thought the Pitt move was too risky, yesterday wasn't. He gets paid to make those decisions, not me. I get to sit back and kibitz.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I've disagreed several times with a CPJ call but I 100% agree with going for it there against Pitt. That tipped pass deflated our team and the odds of converting that 1st down vs stopping Pitt with no momentum greatly favored picking up the 1st. I was upset we lost but I was damn glad CPJ had the balls to go for it there. The players let themselves, the fans, and CPJ down by failing to run the play correctly.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've disagreed several times with a CPJ call but I 100% agree with going for it there against Pitt. That tipped pass deflated our team and the odds of converting that 1st down vs stopping Pitt with no momentum greatly favored picking up the 1st. I was upset we lost but I was damn glad CPJ had the balls to go for it there. The players let themselves, the fans, and CPJ down by failing to run the play correctly.
They let the fans down? Lol, we don't mean much besides cheering, I'm not sour at them one bit nor did they let me down. They played hard that game and put up enough points to win, I don't expect every play to be perfect.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Any word from GT Bob?

Computer is being bitchy at the end of the season. The straight broadcast should be up tonight. I have the radio coming. I capped from two different sources, but haven't had the chance to play with them.

Also got the UNC game sans the last second or two and post game, so I'll have that up soon too.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They let the fans down? Lol, we don't mean much besides cheering, I'm not sour at them one bit nor did they let me down. They played hard that game and put up enough points to win, I don't expect every play to be perfect.
Sorry probably should have worded that differently. Just meant to say it should have been a first down because CPJ called the correct play and it was just not executed.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Great end to a great season. I got to spend the day with my Dad @Everbank Stadium, and cheer for the brave and bold in the white and gold. There are many reasons for optimism moving into the offseason.
-Dedrick Mills could be a Dwyer-esque type talent at BBack.
-Our left side of the line will be good for 3 more years. Lee, Braun, and Cooper will have this offseason to truly Mesh with Bryan and Klock.
-All of the receivers that received meaningful minutes are coming back.
-There will be healthy competition at QB this spring and into next fall.
-Searcy, Lynch, Green, might be our deepest and most talented AB corp, in a while.
-the DL loses Gamble, but a lot of people coming back have experience.
-we will miss PJD, but we have athleticism and experience coming back.
-our entire secondary returns, which is huge IMO.
-We may miss Butker more than anything, we need to make sure Bulovas signs the dotted line.
-Rodwell, I have mixed reviews on Rodwell, yes he was a very inconsistent punter, but he was as automatic as you can be as a place holder.
If anyone disagrees, please respond, but I can't help but feel excited after witnessing that game today.

I agree with all this. Dwyer will forever be the template of a Georgia Tech Bback and to be sure Dedrick is a different sort of beast but this is a "grown man" running through arm tackles. I do not pretend to be an expert on offensive line play but it is apparent to me that our line got better down the stretch. We will miss Freddie and Eason to be sure but we have lots of good young talent to work with. Player development will be an ongoing concern for defensive linemen. We got better but MUST improve conditioning and strength. There is no replacing JT, Pat, PJ, and our kickers but its college ball next man up. Thanks seniors for many wonderful memories. Godspeed in your future endeavors.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I think everyone is missing my point totally. Which was not to analyze Pittsburgh or Kentucky but to state the fact that his gambling style succeed sometimes and doesn't others and I would much rather have that then what chan would do and punt. Whether the success or not is due to player error or playcall or whatever doesnt matter. Its his style to go and i like it. And i will live with the bad if it doesnt work regardles of WHY it didnt work

Furthermore it's just like I've always said I would rather have 2014 and 2009 and live with a 2015 then just be seven wins every year

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone is missing my point totally. Which was not to analyze Pittsburgh or Kentucky but to state the fact that his gambling style succeed sometimes and doesn't others and I would much rather have that then what chan would do and punt. Whether the success or not is due to player error or playcall or whatever doesnt matter. Its his style to go and i like it. And i will live with the bad if it doesnt work regardles of WHY it didnt work

Furthermore it's just like I've always said I would rather have 2014 and 2009 and live with a 2015 then just be seven wins every year

Fwiw, I understood and disagreed. I don't think he has a gambling style to go versus to punt.

He doesn't automatically incline to punt or to go but makes a decision each time based on the circumstances.

Milwaukee

Banned
Computer is being bitchy at the end of the season. The straight broadcast should be up tonight. I have the radio coming. I capped from two different sources, but haven't had the chance to play with them.

Also got the UNC game sans the last second or two and post game, so I'll have that up soon too.

Thanks, as always. You make my summers great.