Taxslayer Wrap-up

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Well there were the pre bowl get togethers/activities/meals. Then you had pregame warmups. Then the opening kickoff. Then the first play from scrimmage......well they kinda had to stf up from there except for Coach Stoops whining and ref crying butthurts.
Sounds like the Yellow Jacket fans had a hell of a good time in Jacksonville. It would be nice to go to the Citrus Bowl against Florida or Auburn in 2017.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you think they do that? A straight dive excepted, when the midline and the triple option start with the Bback into the line, why would they leave a hole there? Somebody just got lined up wrong, or were they guessing maybe toss or ...? Just seems really odd.
Just from watching the cutups it appeared to me that their gameplan was to stop the QB and the pitch first. Also looked like they based out of a 3-3 which allows them to play games at the mesh with the end and Lber. Fortunately for us we executed our scheme better than they did. We were able to hammer them on the dive, g scheme and trap.

They did sell out when Paul pulled the string on the pass to Heine.

The moral of the story is even though they had a month to prepare they couldn't replicate game speed. Nothing wrong with their scheme or their players just superior offensive execution of a scheme that is hard to prepare for.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's funny, but you never hear that about other schemes. Three of the top offensive minds got stuffed during bowl season. Leach, Meyer, and Peterson. I guess with time to prepare, their air attack got figured out?
I think the real issue for "figuring" out most systems is being able to replicate it in practice. And that means having the athletes to run it full speed. If you have a month to prepare then your chances of seeing how fast things can happen improve a lot. Of course, once you get to the game your guys have to execute. Meyer's guys were just outclassed on both sides of the ball.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hear less and less of the "this O can be stopped pretty easy with a month to prepare" nonsense I seemed to hear the first few years of the CPJ era. Is the fallacy of that :poop: about played out now?
They finally figured out they needed that month to buy train tickets out of town.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hired by name. Same as the Bowden boys. Bet Sabans son or brother could get a great gig.

Yep. If his name was Mark 'Hill' or some other such nonsense, he'd probably be wrapping up his 4th year coaching middle school girls lacrosse.

I hear less and less of the "this O can be stopped pretty easy with a month to prepare" nonsense I seemed to hear the first few years of the CPJ era. Is the fallacy of that :poop: about played out now?

It's crazy. The reality is that we struggled in bowls since the Chan years but everyone decided to ignore that and pin the troubles on CPJ's offense. Kinda like how we get credit for producing Megatron even though we run the option. If half these eggsperts took half a second to look, they'd realize Mega pre-dated CPJ.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I actually heard/saw it reported several times before Ky game.