Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Deep Throat tells me this am that it's Brent Key.
You’re the second person that’s heard that. He has completely underperformed since day one and he’s not leaving too. I kinda thought we were about to pull off the Bandaid. ADTS, CGC, CAT, CBK, and any dissenters.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'd much rather go outside of the "tech line" to find our next AD. Someone from a smaller school with a big vision, thinks outside of the box, and isn't tethered to the way GT has been doing things. Or an assistant AD from a big program that has a vision for a school like GT and how we can take the next step. The only person I'd want with ties to GT is currently Clemson's AD...and that's not happening.

I think the fact we keep trying to hire guys with ties to GT is what's gotten us into this mess. GT needs fresh ideas from someone that's not "tainted" with the GT way.
Stansbury sealed his own fate. What we learned was he is no Homer Rice.

Allen Greene, Auburn's former AD recently resigned ... no buyout, hugely respected by other AD's. Not a football guy (he was baseball at ND), but he did interview outside of Auburn 4-5 times before he resigned. Ran a clean and professional program. Good communicator.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You’re the second person that’s heard that. He has completely underperformed since day one and he’s not leaving too. I kinda thought we were about to pull off the Bandaid. ADTS, CGC, CAT, CBK, and any dissenters.
Apparently, he is Associate Head Coach. Not sure yet if it's embedded in his contract. If so, and if GTAA were to pass over him, we may another buyout to do along with Collins.

BTW, the meeting tomorrow is the same meeting as originally scheduled for the 13th. The GTAA accelerated it which suggests that TStan is out as well. Time to clean house. Funny thing is, Deep Throat thinks it was the Collins' presser, and Ken's question, that was the last straw.

Malzahn got fired within about ten minutes after uttering, "We won six games this year. That's pretty good."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury sealed his own fate. What we learned was he is no Homer Rice.

Allen Greene, Auburn's former AD recently resigned ... no buyout, hugely respected by other AD's. Not a football guy (he was baseball at ND), but he did interview outside of Auburn 4-5 times before he resigned. Ran a clean and professional program. Good communicator.
At AD
Keep looking " hire and fire - till we get a winner at top.

A winner at top will not be a yes man for the hill. Need Constant improvment by hill to be able to overcome our limitations.

We are lucky to be in ATL and near home of many many good players. Portal and travel is our friend.

A winner at top will not take bs even from some one he hires . Plus he will work with him to get constant improvement.

A dud at top needs tons of money to fix mistakes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And replace all of them with who, midway through a season?

This isn’t a permanent hire. It’s just to get through the season while the HC (and AD?) search happens.

slugboy

Staff member
correct me if I am wrong, but won’t Stansbury be the first Tech AD to be fired?
I think you’re right, although we’ve had “resignations” that surely weren’t voluntary.

(“MBob” wasn’t long for the role when he left, so that’s one)

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
That is going to make the fanbase that is still paying attention very unhappy. If anybody was thinking that firing the HC might improve the mood or juice ticket sales at all, that will kill it.
Honestly, Tech fans will look for any reason not to support the program. Not liking an interim head coach is among the dumbest reasons, but I've seen it all at this point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
correct me if I am wrong, but won’t Stansbury be the first Tech AD to be fired?
Mbob was so much like the prez he just waddled away.

Hopefully manage the decline is over.

Whoever added new ast coaches, super recruiter , specialy coaches analysts has done good thing.

Last edited:

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Any chance this wakes up the hill, and provides more financial support to get us to the middle of the pack in the acc? CPJ was always asking for more help and never got extra money for staff. was the hill ok with 6-7 win average season with the occasional 9 or better season and they thought that we were where we needed to be and there is no need to provide extra money?PLEASE DONT MAKE THIS ANOTHER CPJ VS CGC ARGUMENT

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
For some, it may be a celebration when the inevitable house cleaning begins. For me, it will feel more like a funeral.
yes, I agree, the CGC firing and probably the reassignment of ADTS is a house cleaning and it will be a huge relief for us fans but it does feels like a funeral too.....we hung together through this nightmare so let's stick together for the players in the short and long term and find the right AD, HC and staff to move us out of this embarrassment.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Team will be a lot better with Key at the Helm. Chip long has been held back by Collins and key has had disagreements with Collins doing that. Also, Collins has overrode some of the decisions by the recruiting staff and Kenyatta Watson. Expect recruiting to pick up with the recruiting staff being able to actually do their job and not having the head coach over ride their decisions and make them do what Collins wants and not what the recruiting staff wanted to do.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Allen Greene, Auburn's former AD recently resigned ... no buyout, hugely respected by other AD's. Not a football guy (he was baseball at ND), but he did interview outside of Auburn 4-5 times before he resigned. Ran a clean and professional program.

Is that why Auburn fired him?

/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Knowing Georgia Tech athletics, Stansbury will come out from the meeting and announce an extension for his man because they never realized how tough the greatest transition in the history of college football was going to be so tough. 😐

7 year automatic renewal contract with no designated end date. Don’t laugh. We’ve done it before. 😐

The transition is going to be even tougher now when our best players go in the portal. Preventing that is the biggest challenge I see in the transition. We lost a massive amount of talent (Gibbs and others) last year.

I thought Collins would be a lot better than he was. Never liked his style (brag before results) but I expected GT to be relevant in Coastal which is a low bar.

GTBlaze

Banned
Honestly, Tech fans will look for any reason not to support the program. Not liking an interim head coach is among the dumbest reasons, but I've seen it all at this point.
If it keys, he is not a very good coach at anything and he doesn’t have a very good personality