Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

slugboy

Staff member
Sad to say, but I don’t think any of those would even take an interview. Meyer’s said he is enjoying tv, Freeze just signed a huge contract with a big buyout, Chadwell will have better offers, and I don’t think Deion is leaving JSU.
I don’t know what’s going to happen, and I've thought some of the names on our wish list have been kind of silly (I don't think we're taking Clawson from Wake, for example) -- but some of the other offers may not be that much better. Nebraska will be able to pony up more money, but is it an easier place to win these days?
Georgia Tech is a place you can win, and we can fix our mess up, so Chadwell might be an option. It's not a slam dunk--it's a long shot that he'd be here, but it's possible.
The buzz is that Deion isn't interested in Tech, even though he's said so a few times.
I do think that our most likely hires are coordinators, and aren't on that list.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sad to say, but I don’t think any of those would even take an interview. Meyer’s said he is enjoying tv, Freeze just signed a huge contract with a big buyout, Chadwell will have better offers, and I don’t think Deion is leaving JSU.
I can't believe there wouldn't be this much noise about Deion from outside the fanbase if he wasn't at least willing to interview

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously a change is needed. That being said, a coach getting fired is always worst case scenario for any schools. That means it didn't work out, a school is going to spend a LOT of money not only firing a coach, but hiring the next coach. Families will be disrupted. Athletes who signed up to play for a coach will have uncertainty now. It's just a mess all around...but ripping the band aid off and letting the healing process begin is needed.

On another note. I wrote an anecdote about seeing CPJ around this sports bar over the years. As it happens, and I didn't want to share it as it's a "I know someone who knows someone" type story, there's a bartender (who's a big GT fan) that's been there forever and is pretty well connected to some donors and GT AA types who frequent that place. She told me a change was coming after this weekend as someone from GT told her a tentative meeting was being called about Collins and Stansbury. I just kind of nodded my head and said "We'll see...".

Well, let's see...

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
As it happens, and I didn't want to share it as it's a "I know someone who knows someone" type story, there's a bartender (who's a big GT fan) that's been there forever and is pretty well connected to some donors and GT AA types who frequent that place. She told me a change was coming after this weekend as someone from GT told her a tentative meeting was being called about Collins and Stansbury. I just kind of nodded my head and said "We'll see...".

Well, let's see...
My bartender doesn't know anything about football.
Fail Theresa Mcqueen GIF by Hollyoaks

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Both?

Heard rumor that they’ve got someone lined up for AD that Tech folks would like. Any word? Marvin Lewis maybe?
didn't Marvin leave with some baggage?
Ryan Bamford, perhaps, as a choice, if we're looking for someone who has a good idea of what running an athletic department at GT is like.

and while we're in this exercise, what legal counsel approved CGC's original contract? don't contracts have to be reviewed by an or the attorney? because that person needs a stern talking to.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Bamford, perhaps, as a choice, if we're looking for someone who has a good idea of what running an athletic department at GT is like.

and while we're in this exercise, what legal counsel approved CGC's original contract? don't contracts have to be reviewed by an or the attorney? because that person needs a stern talking to.
I posted a link to the contract in another thread. Will need to look for it, but the lawyers name is on the contract with her signature. I would not let her do any more deals for us in the future!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

About what? The thing people are freaking out about (the January 1st thing) isn't some unique clause to this contract and doesn't actually entail what people pretend it does

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I'd much rather go outside of the "tech line" to find our next AD. Someone from a smaller school with a big vision, thinks outside of the box, and isn't tethered to the way GT has been doing things. Or an assistant AD from a big program that has a vision for a school like GT and how we can take the next step. The only person I'd want with ties to GT is currently Clemson's AD...and that's not happening.

I think the fact we keep trying to hire guys with ties to GT is what's gotten us into this mess. GT needs fresh ideas from someone that's not "tainted" with the GT way.