Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Obviously a change is needed. That being said, a coach getting fired is always worst case scenario for any schools. That means it didn't work out, a school is going to spend a LOT of money not only firing a coach, but hiring the next coach. Families will be disrupted. Athletes who signed up to play for a coach will have uncertainty now. It's just a mess all around...but ripping the band aid off and letting the healing process begin is needed.

On another note. I wrote an anecdote about seeing CPJ around this sports bar over the years. As it happens, and I didn't want to share it as it's a "I know someone who knows someone" type story, there's a bartender (who's a big GT fan) that's been there forever and is pretty well connected to some donors and GT AA types who frequent that place. She told me a change was coming after this weekend as someone from GT told her a tentative meeting was being called about Collins and Stansbury. I just kind of nodded my head and said "We'll see...".

Well, let's see...
Unfortunately this is a very accurate statement.

Getting the right coach is very important. I don't expect that to necessarily be the 'big name' coach. I doubt 'big name' coaches will consider GT.
GT is arguably in a worse place now than when CPJ retired. There will be significant turnover no matter who is hired. I'm already prepared for 2 more losing seasons after this one before it really turns around.

I don't see a team that looks significantly more talented than it was 4 years ago - especially on the offensive side of the ball. Not sure the improvement it to any great degree on the defensive side either. Oh, and the punting and field goal units are legitimately among the worst if not the worst in FBS football.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
That is going to make the fanbase that is still paying attention very unhappy. If anybody was thinking that firing the HC might improve the mood or juice ticket sales at all, that will kill it.

Seriously. He’s tied at the hip to Collins. Doesn’t seem like a great move to appease the masses.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sad to say, but I don’t think any of those would even take an interview. Meyer’s said he is enjoying tv, Freeze just signed a huge contract with a big buyout, Chadwell will have better offers, and I don’t think Deion is leaving JSU.
Deion has a soft spot for HBCU's and it's doubtful he leaves for another college gig. He might. FWIW, his plane was spotted in Auburn in the last few days ... an unannounced flight from Jackson. Harsin is rumored to be out so AU is already looking ...

GTBlaze

Banned
I'd much rather go outside of the "tech line" to find our next AD. Someone from a smaller school with a big vision, thinks outside of the box, and isn't tethered to the way GT has been doing things. Or an assistant AD from a big program that has a vision for a school like GT and how we can take the next step. The only person I'd want with ties to GT is currently Clemson's AD...and that's not happening.

I think the fact we keep trying to hire guys with ties to GT is what's gotten us into this mess. GT needs fresh ideas from someone that's not "tainted" with the GT way.
Isn’t that exactly what we just went through with CGC?????

slugboy

Staff member
What if Key is a better HC than a position coach?

Hey, I’m trying to think positively. My girlfriend tells me it’s better for my health.
Go for a long walk in the woods or a park with your girlfriend and a dog. If you don’t have a good dog, adopt one. That’s a better source of mental health.

I thought Key had been a Head Coach, but his top position was as the OC for an 0-12 UCF. (Unless someone is rewriting Wikipedia to cover it up).