Spring Practice

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Any one here know who the first 2 ol guys that have cross trained as dl?

I thought Hansen would be a good dt. Last year he played guard and stayed low w arms up and a wide leg drive. In the offseason videos he seems to have shed some pounds.
R sr Brad Morgan and r fr Maye rotated to dt on defense. Probably doesn't mean anything till later in year .

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Fine. J Thomas is our best player. But who on this roster has honestly “proved” themself to you? Maybe Benson because he rushed for 1000 yards in 2017? But honeslty, after what I saw in the final 2 games of last season, not a single player other than Thomas has demonstrated anything.

Except for my boy Tobias...he’s a straight baller.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, I'm not sewing seeds of doubt or discontent, but Bud Carson was an EXCELLENT DC, and yet he turned out to be a pretty bad coach.

I'll grant you that there are a lot of excellent coordinators who sucked as HCs.

However, CGC has already proven he's not one of those because he didn't suck at Temple.

I also expect us to eventually be very good in the areas where CGC has experience (D & Special Teams) unlike others who specialize on a particular side of the ball but turned it over to a coordinator who sucked (eg, O'Leary & Ted Roof).

Also, CGC's D has been good at 3 different schools.

So to sum it up, there's reason to be optimistic about CGC succeeding because:

1- He's had some previous success as a HC

2- The side of the ball he specialized on didn't suck while he was the HC.

Building a program on D and Special Teams can get you a long way down the road toward winning.

Thank God for Google or I would never understand any of your antiquated references! You really couldn't come up with something in the last 45 years?
Actually GOL was not really a good coach in and of himself (former DC's seldom are), but he succeeded and exceeded expectations because he had sense enough to hire a great staff of assistants. CCG has done the same, and that will prove to be a BIG PLUS for him, in the event that he fails in other ways. Look, I am behind him 100%, but some people on here just ASSUME automatically that he's going to be great. Ironically, those same people will be the first to bail on him after any sign of failure.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, I'm not sewing seeds of doubt or discontent, but Bud Carson was an EXCELLENT DC, and yet he turned out to be a pretty bad coach.
Bud was an average head coach at Tech and a successful HC in the NFL. He took the Cleveland Browns to the AFC championship game where Elway had that ridiculous drive to pull out the victory.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A tried and true Tech fan would know Tech's history without having to resort to Google.

I think most younger GT fans will be well aware of the exploits of Heisman, Alexander and Dodd...and the recent successes of Ross, O'Leary and Johnson. But that 20 years between Dodd and Ross doesnt get talked about much. I know all the names, but had to consult Wikipedia for the details.