Spring Practice

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Coach P lauding Tobias on a particular play where he changed protection, stepped up in pocket, looked left, looked right, threw a perfect 25 yd back shoulder throw. He said a guy can't do that if he can't throw the football. He called it myth the idea that these guys can only run and not throw. I said a long time ago, look out for Tobias.

I said in a post game thread last year that Tobias knows where to go with the ball. Passing-wise, he made the correct reads, but he just didn't deliver it accurately or have the time to plant and deliver a catchable ball.

A lot of passing on this level is about what's between the ears, and ability to anticipate windows and putting the ball there. Tobias seems to have those traits.

I thought Tobias might not have had the skillset to play in this offense, but maybe we haven't seen his entire skillset. If Tobias is pushing for QB1, then good. Cream rises to the top!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I said in a post game thread last year that Tobias knows where to go with the ball. Passing-wise, he made the correct reads, but he just didn't deliver it accurately or have the time to plant and deliver a catchable ball.

A lot of passing on this level is about what's between the ears, and ability to anticipate windows and putting the ball there. Tobias seems to have those traits.

I thought Tobias might not have had the skillset to play in this offense, but maybe we haven't seen his entire skillset. If Tobias is pushing for QB1, then good. Cream rises to the top!
Nice to be discussing actual football, ain't it? :)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really appreciated the videos.

I can't imagine the multitude of emotions that guys are dealing with. Some of these guys can use the practice and the focus to get some relief from the mourning process, but others have more difficulty with doing that, and it might impact their performances. I know this is early, and I don't have any inside information, but I want to believe that our coaching staff is showing grace where grace is needed during this time. There is not a great playbook on how to do spring practice as a new staff with this type of tragedy occurring so close to the start. My guess is that it will bring the team closer together as brothers than just about anything could - I just wish it had not happened.

Like so many, I am grateful to hear about competition and actual football again.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking about his comment on the significance of his jersey number change? I wasn't really sure what he meant by that but I hope he stays at QB
I think he was saying that we can all debate this fall once the season starts if he's as good as the last GT starting QB to wear 14. :cool:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude said a LOT of really intriguing things:

Our run game will be based off of zone reads, and go from there. It will be a "power" run game.
We will run RPO.
Coach Pat will make use of our QBs ability to run the ball.
QBs will have to make reads on the full field.
Most interestingly, Coach Pat is going to put a LOT of responsibilities on the QB. As a QB recruit who wants to play in the NFL, you have to LOVE that. Calling protections, adjusting the call versus the defense, full field progressions.

Also of note: Tyler Cooksey and Josh Tukes to tight end.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Patenaude definitely has the look of a consultant or business executive. He looks like someone who could hold a room.

This is Coach Pat's BIG CHANCE.

There are so many good coaches who for whatever reason don't get the chance to run their scheme on the P5 level.

After 28 years Patenaude now has his chance.

I'm sure he's "juiced" about the opportunity.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Coach Pat has the QB’s to run his offense too. I knew Tukes would end up at TE, he was a PF in high school. Boe & Smith probably played some DT.