Spring Practice

Bud was an average head coach at Tech and a successful HC in the NFL. He took the Cleveland Browns to the AFC championship game where Elway had that ridiculous drive to pull out the victory.
Bud had 2 years as HC in the NFL, with the Browns. He was 9-6 in his first year and 2-7 in his second year, hardly a "successful" tenure. He is most noted for building the "Steel Curtain" defense with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bud should never have been hired as HC at Tech, but he also should not have been fired when he was. He had finally turned things around in 1969, beating the mutts for the first time in 7 years, repeating that in 1970, and only barely losing to them in 1971. Unfortunately, the powers to be at Tech, who had not wanted him to be hired initially, finally got their way and got rid of him after the 1971 season.

I think most younger GT fans will be well aware of the exploits of Heisman, Alexander and Dodd...and the recent successes of Ross, O'Leary and Johnson. But that 20 years between Dodd and Ross doesnt get talked about much. I know all the names, but had to consult Wikipedia for the details.
I just can't imagine that there are Tech fans who have not at least heard of Carson, Pepper, and Curry. Although Pepper's antics grew thin quickly, and I never liked Curry, we had some pretty good teams off and on during those 20 years between Dodd and Ross. Note, I didn't mention Fulcher. I personally thought that he COULD have been a great coach, but the internal politics at Tech, plus the Eddie McAshan nonsense wore him down.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just can't imagine that there are Tech fans who have not at least heard of Carson, Pepper, and Curry. Although Pepper's antics grew thin quickly, and I never liked Curry, we had some pretty good teams off and on during those 20 years between Dodd and Ross. Note, I didn't mention Fulcher. I personally thought that he COULD have been a great coach, but the internal politics at Tech, plus the Eddie McAshan nonsense wore him down.

I also note that you didn't mention another name that shallt not be named. The kids wanting to grow into more mature Tech fans will model your approach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I, myself was born at the tail end of December, 1980. If only I had waited a few more days!

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the staff CGC has assembled has a much better chance of being a plus than a minus.

The most important issue is talent.

To repeat one of my refrains, we're in the Jimmy & Joe game again and I think our success is ultimately going to depend on how close we can move our talent level to a clear 4th in the ACC (and a clear 2nd in the Coastal).

I think CGC knows he can clearly separate from Wake, Syr, BC, UVA, NCSt, Pitt, Louis & Duke.

The challenge will be surpassing UNC & VT but if a couple of things fall or way, I think both can be had.

I think the staff CGC has assembled has a much better chance of being a plus than a minus.

To repeat one of my refrains, we're in the Jimmy & Joe game again and I think our success is ultimately going to depend on how close we can move our talent level to a clear 4th in the ACC (and a clear 2nd in the Coastal).

I think CGC knows he can clearly separate from Wake, Syr, BC, UVA, NCSt, Pitt, Louis & Duke.

The challenge will be surpassing UNC & VT but if a couple of things fall or way, I think both can be had.
I agree that CCG has assembled an AWESOME staff.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bud had 2 years as HC in the NFL, with the Browns. He was 9-6 in his first year and 2-7 in his second year, hardly a "successful" tenure. He is most noted for building the "Steel Curtain" defense with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bud should never have been hired as HC at Tech, but he also should not have been fired when he was. He had finally turned things around in 1969, beating the mutts for the first time in 7 years, repeating that in 1970, and only barely losing to them in 1971. Unfortunately, the powers to be at Tech, who had not wanted him to be hired initially, finally got their way and got rid of him after the 1971 season.
Bud was caught in the usual NFL politics. He was named head coach as a place warmer and was supposed to lose his first year, but they ended 1 game short of the Super Bowl. So, the Browns had to keep him and he coached half the next season with no control on personnel decisions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I don't see a clear recruiting advantage expectation over uva, pitt, unc, LOLvl, or ncst. Said differently, if I were a fan of any of them, I'd expect to out recruit Tech.

I was negative 15 back then old man. But dont worry, I'll get off your lawn now. Wouldn't want to raise your blood pressure
Young man, I was negative 15 when Tech won the NC in 1929, but I sure know all about it, as well as pretty much every other year before and after that. Like I said, most tried and true fans of any school actually take time to learn about the school they support. You don't need to get off my lawn; just clean it up before you do. ;)

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

IMO, the 5/7 year challenge is surpassing Miami. If we are competing for 2nd place with VT/UNC, that's pretty much status quo.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

If I may, sir.

It was actually the powers that be (then) that got Bud Carson the HC job. They insisted we hire a (vomit) “Tech Man”.

Dodd, as the AD, was literally on the way to Knoxville to hire Doug Dickey as our HC. Can anyone imagine that? In 1966 the GT job was considered better than ut.

Word got to Dodd to turn around and come back because we were going to hire a “Tech Man”. So said all the big shot alumni and administrators - most notably Mr Chip Robert.

Doug Dickey would have killed it here vs Carson.

And I am told that, back then, the final straw for Carson was not only the player revolt of 1970 (that I think influenced our embarrassing last 2 games of 1971) but also his affair with Linda Sharpe (was that her last name then?) of Channel 11 while he was still married. People reacted to those things differently back then - especially from the football HC.

So, yes, the Powers got rid of him but they, in fact, put him in to start with instead of who Dodd wanted.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Young man, I was negative 15 when Tech won the NC in 1929, but I sure know all about it, as well as pretty much every other year before and after that. Like I said, most tried and true fans of any school actually take time to learn about the school they support. You don't need to get off my lawn; just clean it up before you do. ;)
Give that man some aloe because he just got BURNED! ;) (Said in complete jest, of course!)

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Based on early indications, we are going to recruit well. How well remains to be seen, but I do see us being top 3 in the coastal annually, maybe after this first year. We've been there pretty regularly, so when you say it just as I said it, it doesn't really sound like a step up... but I see us becoming the destination school that Collins is selling. I think we have some bright days ahead.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah. If CPJ had had VT/UNC level recruiting classes, we’d have played in another Orange Bowl or two.
An improvement over status quo would be winning the Coastal nearly every year. And we are playing straight up now schematically, no 3O arbitrage.

So to achieve our goal, we have to aim to win recruiting in the Coastal, otherwise we are just "competing for the coastal", which is where we have been.

If I may, sir.

It was actually the powers that be (then) that got Bud Carson the HC job. They insisted we hire a (vomit) “Tech Man”.

Dodd, as the AD, was literally on the way to Knoxville to hire Doug Dickey as our HC. Can anyone imagine that? In 1966 the GT job was considered better than ut.

Word got to Dodd to turn around and come back because we were going to hire a “Tech Man”. So said all the big shot alumni and administrators - most notably Mr Chip Robert.

And I am told that, back then, the final straw for Carson was not only the player revolt of 1970 (that I think influenced our embarrassing last 2 games of 1971) but also his affair with Linda Sharpe (was that her last name then?) of Channel 11 while he was still married. People reacted to those things differently back then - especially from the football HC.

So, yes, the Powers got rid of him but they, in fact, put him in to start with instead of who Dodd wanted.
You are correct that Dodd did not want Carson to succeed him. There were apparently two different groups of the "powers" when Carson was hired, and the pro-Carson group, whoever they were, overrode what Dodd wanted. I thought the player revolt was in 1971, but there was indeed one in one of those years. I don't remember his affair, but I'm sure that played a large part in his firing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If I may, sir.

As a 69 grad I noticed the drop off of the effectvness in game play calling. Sure there was a drop off in talent but it was pretty much the same play call every game. The thing I loved was the defense didnt drop off and actually played harder.
It seemed like Coach Carson was no nonsense guy who was great at game preparation. Then it was time for the press conference where the press thing was very very tough for him.

The away win over a good Auburn team was typical. The same plays even though Larry Good was near perfect in passing. He was unstoppable as the few dropped passes hit the receivers in the hand or face. We fought hard and won on a last play FG as the sun came out. The sun shined like a spotlight on the white and gold uniforms as the team came out of the huddle. Still see the ball splitting the uprights.

The end for Carson came when legendary sports writer at the Atlanta Journal, Furman Bisher, wrote a blistering top of sport section article on the whole Dodd replacement fiasco. It opened with " Georgia Tech is the Ramblin Wrek and a Helluva shape it's in. " He had to go.
The Atlanta press is vital .

Imo, unlike the unnamed coach referenced by ae87, I think Carson's record would have significantly improved if given more time.