Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

alagold

Helluva Engineer
From AJC -
"As of Saturday, the first-string line consisted of Will Bryan and Trey Klock at the tackles, Andrew Marshall and Griffin at the guard spots and walk-on Michael Muns at center. Center Freddie Burden, a two-year starter, is sitting out the spring after hand surgery earlier in the offseason."

wow, from "a lot of OL depth "to no Devine and a walkon at ctr

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The line depth is always a little thin in the spring. The replacements don't show up until July. It seems there is always a player or two coming off surgery and the entire senior class gone. This year is no different.

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So, nobody else commenting on Marshall at og ahead of shamire?

Maybe with Burden expected back in the summer, this is a way to give Marshall some reps at a spot where he can help sooner. He probably won't play a lot at center once Freddie gets back. Get him some reps now, let him get used to it and he could play a lot. I think the coaches want Marshall out there in the fall and this is the best way to do it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
CfI_KCFUYAAikCJ
CfJfKBgXEAAARmf

Dedrick Mills

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Of course you would like to have the d line on the ground with you, but they don't have to for the play to work, it's all about slowing them down and throwing them off their path to the ball. I can't remember who it was but an o line coach ( who I think is a coach in the pros) said even when drive blocking it's not always about getting your guy turned completely away from the play, he said if you can just push him back, even if he gets an arm on the RB he shouldn't make the tackle at that level with just an arm. So it's not always about having it perfect everytime, I personaly just want to see the guy thrown off his route to the ball And slowed down.

IMO the backside line men stay on there feet, slow the D down and get downfield to block. The belly flopping in past years IMO is for the birds. or maybe Porpoises. The Orange Bowl year there was a lot more drive blocking when we turned around a poor start.

I hope to hell coaches figure out why our O line was so bad last year. All the talk about missing assignments has to reflect on poor coaching. Last year should not have happened IMO with the returning O line we had. It is a lot more complex than the limited substitution days when I played, but the fundamentals are still the same.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
IMO the backside line men stay on there feet, slow the D down and get downfield to block. The belly flopping in past years IMO is for the birds. or maybe Porpoises. The Orange Bowl year there was a lot more drive blocking when we turned around a poor start.

I hope to hell coaches figure out why our O line was so bad last year. All the talk about missing assignments has to reflect on poor coaching. Last year should not have happened IMO with the returning O line we had. It is a lot more complex than the limited substitution days when I played, but the fundamentals are still the same.

I hope so also.That performance last yr was horrific at times.
Of course, the excuses have already started--PJ this week--"we sure are young" (what were we last yr, TOO OLD?)
I'm also waiting for--"we didn't have bowl practices to get guys more exp"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hope so also.That performance last yr was horrific at times.
Of course, the excuses have already started--PJ this week--"we sure are young" (what were we last yr, TOO OLD?)
I'm also waiting for--"we didn't have bowl practices to get guys more exp"
You seem to be out of sorts this morning. Throw some strawberries into those bran flakes and cheer up. But if protest you must, keep in mind that coaches need spring practice, too.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Muns has been just about in th e2 deep for some time. An Upperclassman who has been a back up center for a few years now. He know what he is doing. I don't mind him getting the reps at all. Who know what horrific luck we may have on injuries?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line: we're getting Marshall ready at guard because we can't count on Shamire.
This is what I was getting at. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Klock/Griffin/Burden/Marshall/Bryan line (aka a light, athletic line that looks more like the first 3 or 4 years of Johnsons regime than the last 3 or 4)