Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Like I said earlier they better be locked in and play with a chip on their shoulder after last seasons **** show. I just do not have a good feeling about that game. BC hasn't won a league game since BC and knowing GT luck this is the game we give away.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah.....but BC was the top ranked defense at the end of last season. Ranked 2nd in rushing defense behind only Alabama. BC is no slouch.
They've had a great defense, I'll grant them. However, they were (are) anemic on offense. Traditionally, we've showed that we can score some points, especially at the beginning of the season when everyone's healthy.

I'm not taking anything for granted; BC plays big boy football. However, I feel pretty confident we'll be able to outscore them, regardless of how strong their defense is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Considering CPJ said the OL wasn't very good in '14, I'm not sure he "got" dumb.
Well, I kinda write that off as Johnson hyperbole since the offense set a dozen school records or so as I recall. Maybe I am dreaming or something, seriously. He tends to the side of criticizing the Maker for taking a day off.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I kinda write that off as Johnson hyperbole since the offense set a dozen school records or so as I recall. Maybe I am dreaming or something, seriously. He tends to the side of criticizing the Maker for taking a day off.
I don't think it was hyperbole, but I'm not an OL guy. I leave it to others on here who know OL work (maybe @flea77 or @Boomergump) to comment. I think Mason was a force, while the two B-Backs and most all the A-Backs were very experienced Couple that with the speed/decision-making of JT, and a struggling OL can look good.

Like I said, I'm not the guy to judge, but the one who is (CPJ) flat out said that the OL wasn't that good in '14, and he wasn't just being snarky when he made that comment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it was hyperbole, but I'm not an OL guy. I leave it to others on here who know OL work (maybe @flea77 or @Boomergump) to comment. I think Mason was a force, while the two B-Backs and most all the A-Backs were very experienced Couple that with the speed/decision-making of JT, and a struggling OL can look good.

Like I said, I'm not the guy to judge, but the one who is (CPJ) flat out said that the OL wasn't that good in '14, and he wasn't just being snarky when he made that comment.

He also said he was expecting more from them because they were more experienced. My recollection was him saying that perhaps they weren't as good as they were getting credit for.

The bottom line is that nobody on O, including JT, stepped up and played to ability in 14.

I think the biggest problem was between the ears, not making the right reads/adjustments by each position grp.

2Cents

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The video was right after Brad moved from defense. I wonder how long it takes to make the transition from DL to OL... I think more than a week. (I am a Brad fan and will admit my bias. I did get my bias from a few of his great plays in the spring game. That does not mean he is perfect, but I saw a great base to build a great OL guard).

CPJ said the OL was not very good in 2014, but I saw a lot that says CPJ must have a very high bar. They may not have been good by CPJ standards, but by the end of the season they were the best "unit" CPJ had at GT. Individually, I agree with CPJ's statement... as a "unit" they went to the right places with few mistakes. I have so many OL highlights on my vine account. Freddie, Shaq, Braun, and Erin Joe had some great blocks. Chamberlain also picked up his game 100% compared to 2013. Shaq's leadership made the unit better than the sum of its parts (and the BB's and AB's knew where to go as well).

Brad and Bryan are going to be very good pair. I hope Freddie can come back strong without all the stress. Klock and Fromayan are the ones I want to see play more. I would love to see Scott or DeVine step up enough at guard to allow Brad (guard) and Bryan (tackle) to play on the same side of the line. I love the meanness they both put on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Scott, not Brad, started on DL. I don't know if Brad started at OT.

Regardless, you have to know where the DT is lined up, even when the QB doesn't change the playside at the line.

We'll get there or suffer.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Anyone following GT FB for any significant amount of time knows that we hardly ever follow a good/great year with one the next. The posts this time last year, and later in the summer, we're off the charts as regards the lack of understanding of our team. Almost like some were trying to jinx us.

That being said, I have no idea what to expect this year.

My feeling is our OL is not coached well and I have a lot of empathy for JT5. He deserves better than last year, and I fear, this year. As for rest of team - no idea.

I do feel we will win one we were not suppose to, but also lose one we are suppose to win. That loss will be in terms of a massive upset.

Pray daily I am wrong.