Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Haven't missed a game since I watched my first one 8 years ago. Don't think that will change any time soon.

Yeah, my post was tongue in cheek suggestion that we won't have all 3 on the field at the same time often in response to you saying you can't see that (watch us when we do that.) Ha ha, funny?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So do we go back to the 4-3 instead of 4-2-5 this year?Mitchell Vic and PJ at LB. Then Griffin Gray and the Austin twins in the secondary.
I doubt those would be the three at LB none of them would be that good at covering a TE you might see two of them and a guy like bridges or curry. Our base deffense is still the nickle though, roof said he's running the 4-3 because he needs more film on the LB group. Also Lawrence Austin doesn't play cb he plays the nickle and safety. If I had to guess you would see griffin and gray at safety and Durham at cb and I wouldn't sleep on Simmons at the other cb spot.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Any word on Tyler Cooksey? 6'3 220 w/ sideline-to-sideline speed in his HS film.

Also very interested in Dorian Walker and Jalen Johnson's performance, if anyone is in the know

Techster

Helluva Engineer

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Desmond Branch getting rave reviews so far.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/roof-likes-what-hes-seen-so-far-from-transfer-bran/nqy4p/

“He’s definitely in the depth (chart),” Roof said Monday. “As far as where and how much, that hasn’t been determined yet, but I think he’s a guy that definitely will be in the rotation. If we were to play tomorrow, he would be in the rotation.”

I think our DL is going to pleasantly surprise us this year.
I agree with you, roof also said that kallon has made strides and that the potential is there, he believes there is a sense of urgency with him because it's his last year. A rotation with kallon Cerge henderson, gamble, and maybe an incoming freshman like adams in the middle and guys like branch, freeman, saint amour, rook chungong, and possibly woods on the outside seems like a pretty decent group of guys that are physical and have good speed with decent size.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/roof-likes-what-hes-seen-so-far-from-transfer-bran/nqy4p/

“He’s definitely in the depth (chart),” Roof said Monday. “As far as where and how much, that hasn’t been determined yet, but I think he’s a guy that definitely will be in the rotation. If we were to play tomorrow, he would be in the rotation.”

If Branch can lock down SDE, Gamble can move inside. Of course with Clemson on the schedule Tech has to go 2-deep on the line.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan

If it's not greatly improved over last year, we will need to 30+ ppg. I think the DL is the most crucial part for a turn around from last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Noticed that Whitehead is out for spring with an undisclosed injury and this is a guy who needs the work. Remember how the Kool Aid was flowing when he transferred in?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Every year you have +'s and -'s. Sometimes it it works out in your favor, sometimes not and sometimes you break even. Remember we lost Gotsis and that's no small loss. Think of how everybody underestimated the loss of Shaq before last season.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I was a chief offender. The guy's films look incredible and his former coaches said he was the most athletic defensive lineman they had ever had. I still do not understand what happened with him.
Don't be too hard on yourself. That was a rough offseason. We were desperate for DL at the time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would bet we are looking to go more 4 3 4 this year and less 4 2 5. I think choice this is due to a combination of talent at positions and experience, just like last years choice.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
The base is the nickel thanks to all the spreads but one of the nickel backs could end up being David Curry who is more of a hybrid player.

I agree. He has the measurables to be a nice fit in the scheme. I don't know if he can play, but I would like to see this type of player as the nickel in the 4-2-5.