Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Work in progress! Stay healthy guys and play with an attitude- Or get pissed at me and play with s chip on your shoulder!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Glad u are back.
Glad Will didn't bulk up.
Looks really fit.
By his senior year you won't recognize him.
Love your t shirt.
I hate those blue shirts.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Option gained 9 yards...
you're probably a good person to comment on my comment. Maybe it would have been better as a question than a statement. I noticed the gain too. Is the idea just to slow the D-Line down enough to get by them and then it doesn't matter? I could see that, but it just looked like the d-line was waiting for the dive at the knees and sidestepped it. If the play's already by them, then it probably doesn't matter. It just didn't look very effective.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
It looked like The tackle scooped the DL who ended up on the ground, the guard got tied up releasing to backer. The Center and play side guard were engaged originally, they drove the DT 4 yards off the ball , then tried to cut him. I think the whole ideal is to stop or slow down the backside pursuit. Sometimes just making the defender change his path is all that is needed for a big gain.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It looked like The tackle scooped the DL who ended up on the ground, the guard got tied up releasing to backer. The Center was engaged originally, the play side tackle drove the DT 4 yards off the ball , then tried to cut him. I think the whole ideal is to stop or slow down the backside pursuit. Sometimes just making the defender change his path is all that is needed for a big gain.
When is the next Saturday practice open to all of us...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
you're probably a good person to comment on my comment. Maybe it would have been better as a question than a statement. I noticed the gain too. Is the idea just to slow the D-Line down enough to get by them and then it doesn't matter? I could see that, but it just looked like the d-line was waiting for the dive at the knees and sidestepped it. If the play's already by them, then it probably doesn't matter. It just didn't look very effective.
Of course you would like to have the d line on the ground with you, but they don't have to for the play to work, it's all about slowing them down and throwing them off their path to the ball. I can't remember who it was but an o line coach ( who I think is a coach in the pros) said even when drive blocking it's not always about getting your guy turned completely away from the play, he said if you can just push him back, even if he gets an arm on the RB he shouldn't make the tackle at that level with just an arm. So it's not always about having it perfect everytime, I personaly just want to see the guy thrown off his route to the ball And slowed down.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@flea77

Has Will said if it feels different going into year 2 of the offense? I am sure he (and the team) was ready to get started on 2016 and put 2015 behind them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coach has high expectations for Will and Trey, I could gleen that from his comments in the post practice presser. Smh how there was no mention of Shamire. Very disappointing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It looked like The tackle scooped the DL who ended up on the ground, the guard got tied up releasing to backer. The Center and play side guard were engaged originally, they drove the DT 4 yards off the ball , then tried to cut him. I think the whole ideal is to stop or slow down the backside pursuit. Sometimes just making the defender change his path is all that is needed for a big gain.
I wonder how the D unable to hit Justin affects the success of plays? I know it has nothing to do with OL's making their blocks or not, but if the D ain't going full speed at the POA, then it has to be an advantage for the O.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how the D unable to hit Justin affects the success of plays? I know it has nothing to do with OL's making their blocks or not, but if the D ain't going full speed at the POA, then it has to be an advantage for the O.
I think it works both ways. It might give him a extra fraction of a sec in some instances , but the play is also called dead if he gets touched. Most colleges do not allow QB's to get hit in practice anymore.