Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Would love for us to test our luck with some 5 stars starting with someone from Savannah. No one is a sure bet. I am always amazed to see so many pros that come from little known colleges.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO the backside line men stay on there feet, slow the D down and get downfield to block. The belly flopping in past years IMO is for the birds. or maybe Porpoises. The Orange Bowl year there was a lot more drive blocking when we turned around a poor start.

I hope to hell coaches figure out why our O line was so bad last year. All the talk about missing assignments has to reflect on poor coaching. Last year should not have happened IMO with the returning O line we had. It is a lot more complex than the limited substitution days when I played, but the fundamentals are still the same.
I must have been out of town and missed that "poor start". I don't remember specifically but after scoring on the first possession after the interception we scored again one or two possessions later. (And of course in the ACC championship game we rolled up and down the field against FSU in the first half with either 26 or 27 straight running plays.) The blocking assignments for the most part changed at halftime, when Johnson makes his major adjustments, and they kept running the same plays, as a Tech lineman said, because MSU never adjusted anything. Poor or not poor coaching -- I think I just invented some English -- is a debatable issue and fair game for a board. But let's not cherry pick to make a point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So do we go back to the 4-3 instead of 4-2-5 this year?Mitchell Vic and PJ at LB. Then Griffin Gray and the Austin twins in the secondary.

Imo, we should run a 3-3-5 where we typically rush 4 but the rushing linebacker changes based on offensive alignment. However, we've recruited to a 4-2-5, so we got to make it work.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Imo, we should run a 3-3-5 where we typically rush 4 but the rushing linebacker changes based on offensive alignment. However, we've recruited to a 4-2-5, so we got to make it work.
I just can't see us not having all 3 of them on the field at the same time.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The DL has the depth and experience now. We have to be able to move the pocket with 4. If we can't we might as well plan on each game being a shootout. Our secondary has talent, but we just cannot expect them to cover and contain for any length of time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You better have a stout defensive line to run a 3-3-5, and super fast physical linebackers.