Spring Game Postgame Thread

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I just wish LJ had been healthy last year. I think he will be the starter, with either Graham or Oliver coming in when we need a change of pace.

I think with a healthy LJ paul probably doesn't retire. Think about it, with a healthy Mathew Jordan and LJ marshall is an AB, we probably end up winning 2 more games in 2017 based on Jordan's power running alone. and last year LJ gives us an arm to hit lynch and stewart more consistently with.

The simple truth is that one of our advantages to running the Flexbone was a lot of highschools use to run it, now its all about the spread rpo even at that level. These kids are adopting this offince because it is their old offense.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
For the folks watching the spring game at home, they had random students attempt to field punts from Harvin during the timeouts, and Kyle Cerge-Henderson also took a turn. For the record, Harvin struggled a bit. Only 2 were really catchable. One was caught off the guy's chin, and the other was misjudged and landed a few yards behind the dude. It reminded me of Smalls trying to field a fly ball in The Sandlot.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
For the folks watching the spring game at home, they had random students attempt to field punts from Harvin during the timeouts, and Kyle Cerge-Henderson also took a turn. For the record, Harvin struggled a bit. Only 2 were really catchable. One was caught off the guy's chin, and the other was misjudged and landed a few yards behind the dude. It reminded me of Smalls trying to field a fly ball in The Sandlot.

On Kyle's attempts to catch Harvin's punts, Harvin was punting into a fairly strong headwind and still knocked the ball 40+ yds

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
A few days later:

1. We are going to play fast on offense. No huddles during the whole game except for TV timeouts. And it didnt appear we are doing check with me stuff either.

2. Jerseys are growing on me, but probably should be white bottoms vs gold. Looks like we're going for the UCF color palette with Navy instead of black. And I think UCF has pretty clean unis.

3. I'm hoping it was limitations on defensive calls that drove our issues on D. We didn't really get a stop until the walk on QBs started playing. Or maybe we're really going to be that prolific on O, but I doubt it.

4. Graham can be electric, but needs to make quicker decisions. Too many sacks taken that would've been brutal in a real game.

5. Brown is going to be a playmaker for us. Dont know that we've had someone that quick and fast ever.....maybe Jonathan Smith? I dont remember Kelly Campbell being that quick, just super fast

6. I think Mason is going to be the starter at RB, but will likely split time with Jamious. I think there is a bigger divide in that group than I'd like. Mason is going to be a threat on those swing passes.

7. Lots of guys on the sidelines injured. I'm hoping the physical practices it appears we've been running help our toughness more than the losses due to injuries. Been awhile since I've seen us running Oklahomas.

8. Guys seemed to be having fun. A little less business-like than what we did with CPJ. I'm guessing this will be good for recruiting, but will it translate onto the field?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think LJ is the likely starter, but part of me wants to see what Graham can do. He showed an electric burst on a couple runs, and he was surely limited by the lack of contact on the QBs, as he would have potentially escaped several "sacks." You want the ball in the hands of a guy like him every snap. He's a home run theat every play. No clue if he can make the right reads and decisions, and questions of his arm were not answered Friday. Graham would have been the best athlete CPJ had at QB, and maybe it was just the #, but Graham gave me flashbacks to Joe Ham Friday night. If he's not the QB, I want his explosiveness on the field somewhere.

I see a lot of what Bryce Perkins from in Graham. I thought that 1st TD showed a lot of touch.

I see no way Yates play unless there is an injury. If Graham is eligible, it will be a tough decision. Graham is more dynamic but LJ appeared reliable. Do you want 20/25 guy with 200yds 2 TD or the 14/25 250yds with 70yds 4 TOT TDs & 2 picks guy at QB?

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I see a lot of what Bryce Perkins from in Graham. I thought that 1st TD showed a lot of touch.

I see no way Yates play unless there is an injury. If Graham is eligible, it will be a tough decision. Graham is more dynamic but LJ appeared reliable. Do you want 20/25 guy with 200yds 2 TD or the 14/25 250yds with 70yds 4 TOT TDs & 2 picks guy at QB?
Do we get to pick when and where he throws the picks? :LOL::LOL:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
SO different from other Spring games.
The passing game (QBs and WRs) was better than I would have thought. When the new recs come in Fall , there will even be a bunch of new talent.also--Griffin at RB , might start.
The DL rush was erratic but we really didn't get that many yds running..
We definitely need to work on run game esp near goal.
At times it looked like we were playing 2 hand touch DEF. (few sticks and then gang tackles).
It was a glitzy show and was it was successful.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I think with a healthy LJ paul probably doesn't retire. Think about it, with a healthy Mathew Jordan and LJ marshall is an AB, we probably end up winning 2 more games in 2017 based on Jordan's power running alone. and last year LJ gives us an arm to hit lynch and stewart more consistently with.

The simple truth is that one of our advantages to running the Flexbone was a lot of highschools use to run it, now its all about the spread rpo even at that level. These kids are adopting this offince because it is their old offense.

LJ playing last year would have given Lynch and Stewart a lot more reps last year and they'd probably be getting looks from NFL teams right now.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
SO different from other Spring games.
The passing game (QBs and WRs) was better than I would have thought. When the new recs come in Fall , there will even be a bunch of new talent.also--Griffin at RB , might start.
The DL rush was erratic but we really didn't get that many yds running..
We definitely need to work on run game esp near goal.
At times it looked like we were playing 2 hand touch DEF. (few sticks and then gang tackles).
It was a glitzy show and was it was successful.
On the tackling it depends on who you were looking at. QBs were not live so it really was touch on them.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, LJ is clearly the starter, and it's not close. In fact, I think a true freshmen (Jordan Yates) will probably be the backup this season. I like Graham and Oliver, but Oliver is a backup or plays another position, and I think Graham struggles a bit with the touch and anticipation passes needed for this offense. He's definitely a good "change of pace" option at QB, as his athleticism and speed is among the best on both sides of the ball. For what Patenaude wants to do with the offense, I find it hard to see their long term fit there.

Don't know about "clearly" but if Graham isn't the backup I hope he's switched to RB and/or WR. He is just too explosive of an athlete to be wasted on the bench otherwise. Similar with Oliver, his combo of size & speed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about "clearly" but if Graham isn't the backup I hope he's switched to RB and/or WR. He is just too explosive of an athlete to be wasted on the bench otherwise. Similar with Oliver, his combo of size & speed.
I think you guys don't have your minds right here. We need three QBs at the position and one of them should not be a freshman with no game experience. I think Graham stays at QB even if he's number 3 in the rotation. We have plenty of talent at the other positions he can play and we'll need him at QB in 2020, no matter how Yates or Oliver do.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the competition at QB works out in the fall and, even more to the point, in the games. I presently think the position is still too close to call. LJ looked good, by all reports, (I wasn't at the game), but the D was playing with shackles on. This will not be the case in the fall, much less against the Tiggers.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Graham stays at QB even if he's number 3 in the rotation.
Not saying Graham won't win the job, it's way too early, but in this transfer portal world of college football there is no way he stays at Tech if he's sitting at #3 in the QB rotation IMO. And I also have faith in the coaching staff that they woudn't leave him there.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

Totally agree.

Graham is a running threat. LJ can run. Graham hit Blancato in the facemask with a slant and I didn't see a lot of separation between him and LJ's accuracy. LJ got some gimme balls early. Watch Curry back-pedal on the first play, watch our coverage on the second play. These were designed completions. Graham's release is a little slow, but he definitely has the arm strength. I think the "ATL" philosophy is real, and they will play anyone who can help. Last year, Temple rotated QBs in the first game and CoachPat said they have installed multiple QB sets already. I would expect a wildcat with Oliver at QB and Graham at Slot/RB. CoachPat, for better or worse, is known for gimmick plays.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Graham is explosive and will give you chunk plays a plenty. LJ is cerebral and will take what the defense gives him, but won’t unnecessarily put the ball in harms way. Graham had a fumble in the Spring game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Graham is explosive and will give you chunk plays a plenty. LJ is cerebral and will take what the defense gives him, but won’t unnecessarily put the ball in harms way. Graham had a fumble in the Spring game.
I think had Graham been allowed to run in the Spring Game instead of the phantom sacks, he would have torn chunks from the D and the White team might not have been picking up garbage Saturday morning. I think there were several instances where "close" wasn't going to be close enough to tackle him.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Building on what others have mentioned this earlier... after watching the spring game exhibition, I think it'd be wise for us to run the ball 60-65% of the time this year. I'm sure we'll improve offensively in the pass game, but context is key. Our defense was limited by play calling and, in fairness, is probably still a below avg. P5 defense until proven otherwise. Expect our pocket to collapse faster in the fall with more happening on the back end.

I'm still not bullish about any position group on D, though our likely starting safeties - Carpenter and Thomas - certainly look the part.

On the flipside, Christian Malloy had more wiggle and slither than I expected. Also showed good instincts following a blocker in the open field. There wasn't much opportunity for others, so it's hard to project, but I wouldn't be surprised now if Malloy gets a big portion of the RB1 snaps by end of year.

Building on what others have mentioned this earlier... after watching the spring game exhibition, I think it'd be wise for us to run the ball 60-65% of the time this year. I'm sure we'll improve offensively in the pass game, but context is key. Our defense was limited by play calling and, in fairness, is probably still a below avg. P5 defense until proven otherwise. Expect our pocket to collapse faster in the fall with more happening on the back end.

I'm still not bullish about any position group on D, though our likely starting safeties - Carpenter and Thomas - certainly look the part.

On the flipside, Christian Malloy had more wiggle and slither than I expected. Also showed good instincts following a blocker in the open field. There wasn't much opportunity for others, so it's hard to project, but I wouldn't be surprised now if Malloy gets a big portion of the RB1 snaps by end of year.
Do you think the D will be better (even slightly), worse, or about the same as last year. I think for the most part we can live with about the same, but it sure does need to improve as fast as possible.