Spring Game Postgame Thread

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think the D will be better (even slightly), worse, or about the same as last year. I think for the most part we can live with about the same, but it sure does need to improve as fast as possible.

Given where we ended statistically last year, there isn’t much room to get worse. We were #111 out of 130 teams in FEI. For that reason alone I won’t choose worse.

Add to that, I’m a believer that 1) we do not have 111 talent and 2) a defense-first coach will have greater focus there. Therefore, we should improve in my opinion.

But again, low bar. The degree to which we improve will be most impacted by our ability to generate a pass rush. Clayton maybe? Scheme? A surprise like Lee? I think that’s most critical to answering the “how much” question.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Then, you’re calling CGC a liar because he said specifically what he meant by it in his post-game presser.

Ok I caught the first part of that presser now.

Homage - special honor or respect shown publicly.

Did CGC lie? Hmmmm. Not....necessarily. He could have intended a bit of honor and respect by starting in the formation the way he did. Followed right up by the play call pass to the TE. That was just a QB read not scripted. (y)

And his point about it being the first TE pass caught since Colin Peek caught one against UGA. Totally an homage to the triple. Not at all a symbolic display of what the scheme is transitioning to. LMAO. I think the koolaid is spiked. :ROFLMAO:

And to repeat. I have no problem with the messaging of what the change is. It’s necessary and proper to convey that message. But dang. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I apologize to everyone that gets butthurt by my own take on this one. I’m sorry you are so easily butthurt. Not directed at @ElCidBUZZingFAN or anyone else particularly.....just anyone reading this and feeling their nethers aflame :D

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Geez. Why can't we just enjoy nice things?!

CGC has never stepped on CPJ's toes, and I highly doubt he's trying to show up a coach that was not only one of the most successful, but is still dearly loved by a majority of fans. I'm 100% convinced CGC and/or someone on his staff surfs various GT boards. I think they know how most of us feel about CPJ...I have no doubt they understand that a lot of us still like CPJ and we sure as heck are appreciative of the things he did here.

I actually suggested this in one of the threads a few months ago. When I saw it, I stood up and clapped. I took it as a sign of respect, but also a symbolic gesture of moving from one era to the next. That's all. That's it.

Let's enjoy the increased interest in GT football, the increased alumni support, the increased sidewalk fan support, increased recruiting interest and recruiting commits, the increased media attention, and overall fun a lot of us (current players included) seem to be having because it's new. Respect the past, but let's enjoy the process as our current coach is trying to build upon what CPJ was able to accomplish. GT is rarely in the position we're in. Let's not ruin it by thinking negative about something that was supposed to be positive.

Go Jackets!!!
I have seen references to this without a full explanation. Exactly what was the play in question?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
IMO, LJ is clearly the starter, and it's not close. In fact, I think a true freshmen (Jordan Yates) will probably be the backup this season. I like Graham and Oliver, but Oliver is a backup or plays another position, and I think Graham struggles a bit with the touch and anticipation passes needed for this offense. He's definitely a good "change of pace" option at QB, as his athleticism and speed is among the best on both sides of the ball. For what Patenaude wants to do with the offense, I find it hard to see their long term fit there.

Agree 100%. Lucas is the clear starter at this point. Graham made a couple of very nice passes but also some really terrible ones

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Very 1st play, they lined up in a 3O formation, CGC gave a signal, and they shifted to a no back set.

It was a nice move to recognize CPJ, while showing where we're going with the offense.

You left out the part where the QB threw a pass to the TE at the end of the play.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Graham is explosive and will give you chunk plays a plenty. LJ is cerebral and will take what the defense gives him, but won’t unnecessarily put the ball in harms way. Graham had a fumble in the Spring game.

I think we will see a lot of both these guys in the fall, and maybe a package that features TO as well

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Very 1st play, they lined up in a 3O formation, CGC gave a signal, and they shifted to a no back set.

It was a nice move to recognize CPJ, while showing where we're going with the offense.

Don’t tell anyone outside this forum this but I think it means we’re still practicing the triple-O in secret.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on what he was told that brought them to GT.

Ehhh, I get the point you are making but I think its a little much to expect a WR to be nothing other than happy by a new system that involves the spread.

My first love told me she would be with me forever and she changed her thoughts on that o_O