Spring Game Postgame Thread

Milwaukee

Banned
Just a couple initial thoughts, I'd like to hear from everyone there and the tv viewers.

1 - The gold jerseys aren't just spring practice jerseys, these are official jerseys. You can tell from the ACC stitched logo. These are the best jerseys Adidas has made for us thus far and we should wear these for every home game. The new Tech Gold is perfect and the bright white numbers pop. None of the ugly "stinger" stripes on the sleeves like you'll notice on the white team's sleeves a la last year. These are clean and classic. Wear these with white pants all day every day and we can either wear the Gold hats or the White hats and it will look great.

2 - I don't like committing 100% to the gun. We're inside the 10 all night and come out in the gun 4 wide. Even 1st and goal from the 1 inch line we were in gun spread out. I can't deal with this style of football, but I'm probably in the majority on this. Get under center with 2 tightends and a fullback with power formations every once in a while please.

3 - Lucas Johnson looks like a BIGTIME D1 qb, he absolutely looks the part. Graham looks so much better than I was expecting as well. We might seriously have an embarrassment of riches at QB with Yates in the fold. 100% kudos to Paul for this entire haul. These kids look GOOD, like really good.

4 - Our WR corp is gonna be a PROBLEM for defenses. Brown looks impossible to deal with in the slot, Malachi is a baller, Sanders can play inside or out (I pictured him exclusively outside for some reason but didn't realize he had this burst that he has), and Camp is gonna be the big anchor outside. This crew impressed me more than anyone.

5 - I'm worried about RB...a lot. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Couldn't tell anything from D as we played 5 base plays the entire night. It was good to see Jha Lee with the sack/fumble. LB crew I'm worried about in a big way as well just based off the small sample size tonight.

Attendance record broken at 21k. Kudos to the staff. Fun game overall.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The OL looked better than the DL but not sure what they were allowed to do in this game. Griffin was quick on the snap. Almost looked off sides a couple of times but he must have good reflexes. Miss not having Big B out there. Tragic loss.

1. Thank you Coach for the CPJ tribute.
2. Our skill guys are really fast.
3. Not worried about the running game because even in the CPJ era, we did not run the base offense in the Spring game.
4. It will be interesting when Oliver is back in the fall as Krivonte as well.
5. Just a fun night, wish I could be there.
6. Might just be a very good year coming up for us. CPJ did not leave a bare cupboard like some other past Tech coaches.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
1- don't care about uniforms
2- agree we need to show a power running game, I think this was done for fans to show the pass.
3- defense was limited on plays. Nice touch on long balls and slants. Really looking forward to seeing what the offense brings over the next year. Checking down to running back, wow.
4- receiving looked good, need to run through the ball. Will come with more practice.
5- LB need Webb to commit tonight.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts (but I’m just a fan, no football expert)

1. All the returning players looked stronger to me. Strength and conditioning paying off

2. Lucas is the clear #1 to me as right now. I didn’t like Graham’s reads as much and he tried to force too many things. Lucas takes what the defense gives him. Graham is quite electric though and ran the read option well.

3. Defensive line has depth, but maybe not a high ceiling. The 2s were mashing the OL 2s. But our starting OL was doing well

4. Wide receivers might be our best position group. Those dudes can ball.

5. Such a clear culture change. There was a lot more swagger on the field. Players were having a blast

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
1. Plenty of playmakers on offense.
2. Graham has so much talent, but winning the job with LJ healthy might be dang near impossible. He looked very smooth.
3. CGC and Thacker have their work cut out for them this year. We need to land some studs on the DL.
4. CJ pumping the crowd looked amazing.
5. Depressed that I live so far away now. I think the vibe at Bobby Dodd this year will be incredible. Hope I can make a home game or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much the same obvservations however. I will say that on the run game to night we basically ran 3 plays. Inside zone, Read option off inside zone, and a trap off inside zone. We had one triple off inside zone as well. I'd be willing to bet you will see more run plays in the year but they wanted to work on passing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The OL looked better than the DL but not sure what they were allowed to do in this game. Griffin was quick on the snap. Almost looked off sides a couple of times but he must have good reflexes. Miss not having Big B out there. Tragic loss.

We need help in middle dl
Rotating over Lee and Morgan on d was not effective. Never saw Hansen ?? Maybe late.

Also lee was not effective pass blocking.
Seemed off balance. Did he have brace on one leg?

The top 4 wide receivers are like cats- jump and hang in air fighting for ball
( last time I will say it- if Lucas was healthy last year ....)

The young ol has potential if they get stronger Maye will play some this year
Let's go jackets .

Deleted member 2897

Today we:
1) Got more football commits than Clemson.
2) Beat Clemson in baseball.
3) Beat Clemson in Lacrosse.

We get Jamious Griffin, of all positions, we’re deep at RB.

Camp, Carter, Brown, Sanders. That’s 4 WRs right there I don’t want to have to cover. And we get more next fall like 4-star Ezzard.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Thank you Coach for the CPJ tribute.
2. Our skill guys are really fast.
3. Not worried about the running game because even in the CPJ era, we did not run the base offense in the Spring game.
4. It will be interesting when Oliver is back in the fall as Krivonte as well.
5. Just a fun night, wish I could be there.
6. Might just be a very good year coming up for us. CPJ did not leave a bare cupboard like some other past Tech coaches.

Who was the last Tech coach to leave the cupboard bare? Curry?

Milwaukee

Banned
The gold is fine but I'd like to see the numbers outlined.

Ya know, I thought so as well, but man after looking at these...with this new Tech Gold (finally) this **** was poppin. These looked GOOD. No outline even needed.

Geoff if your minions are combing this board please know that we want those Gold jerseys tonight un-altered rolled out for gameday. Those were fantastic work from Adidas. Finally.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, I thought so as well, but man after looking at these...with this new Tech Gold (finally) this **** was poppin. These looked GOOD. No outline even needed.

Geoff if your minions are combing this board please know that we want those Gold jerseys tonight un-altered rolled out for gameday. Those were fantastic work from Adidas. Finally.

they are basiclaly a throwback to this look

http://cecilbuffington.com/images/1970_sun_bowl_vs_texas_tech_2.jpg

sorry i don't have a better picture

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just a couple initial thoughts, I'd like to hear from everyone there and the tv viewers.

1 - The gold jerseys aren't just spring practice jerseys, these are official jerseys. You can tell from the ACC stitched logo. These are the best jerseys Adidas has made for us thus far and we should wear these for every home game. The new Tech Gold is perfect and the bright white numbers pop. None of the ugly "stinger" stripes on the sleeves like you'll notice on the white team's sleeves a la last year. These are clean and classic. Wear these with white pants all day every day and we can either wear the Gold hats or the White hats and it will look great.

2 - I don't like committing 100% to the gun. We're inside the 10 all night and come out in the gun 4 wide. Even 1st and goal from the 1 inch line we were in gun spread out. I can't deal with this style of football, but I'm probably in the majority on this. Get under center with 2 tightends and a fullback with power formations every once in a while please.

3 - Lucas Johnson looks like a BIGTIME D1 qb, he absolutely looks the part. Graham looks so much better than I was expecting as well. We might seriously have an embarrassment of riches at QB with Yates in the fold. 100% kudos to Paul for this entire haul. These kids look GOOD, like really good.

4 - Our WR corp is gonna be a PROBLEM for defenses. Brown looks impossible to deal with in the slot, Malachi is a baller, Sanders can play inside or out (I pictured him exclusively outside for some reason but didn't realize he had this burst that he has), and Camp is gonna be the big anchor outside. This crew impressed me more than anyone.

5 - I'm worried about RB...a lot. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Couldn't tell anything from D as we played 5 base plays the entire night. It was good to see Jha Lee with the sack/fumble. LB crew I'm worried about in a big way as well just based off the small sample size tonight.

Attendance record broken at 21k. Kudos to the staff. Fun game overall.

Ty for the insight. Only one question. Did the D hamstring the O by only running 5 base plays ?:D (troll over :p)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Big praise indeed from a big Nike fanboy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Offense:
OL: Will be interesting to see the starting 5 play together consistently, but will definitely need some work. Looked good at times though.
WR: strongest group on the offense!
RB: Mason looked to be the best!
TE: Cooksey looked good!
QB: Graham could end up being the starter if he puts it all together, Johnson had some nice throws.

Defense:
DL: DE’s outplayed the DT’s, we will need some guys to step up.
LB: Curry looked more decisive than last year, Swilling showed his athleticism in space.
DB: strongest group on offense, lots of tight coverage, contested catches, and not much YAC.