Spring Game Postgame Thread

slugboy

Staff member
Mods can we talk football?

I’ll do what I can.

I think the spring game was as much of a reward as anything. I was glad to see some of the speed outside.

Talking X’s and O’s would be nice, but we were so vanilla that it’s hard for me to pull much out of what we saw. Practice is a grind, and the next real game is so far away that I’m just looking for players to push each other to get better as fast as they can. I’m seeing that. I’m also seeing them venting a little pressure and having a little fun. That fun will help them get through the summer.

I did see some good hands out there, and some closing speed from the corners. I’d have liked to have seen more tipped passes and maybe a few more interceptions. I’d like the defensive backfield to be a more threatening place to throw.

Loved the forward pass to Joe Hamilton that would have been followed by an illegal forward pass. This game doesn’t count though.

Funny thing I did like is that Collins sounds like a professional wrestler in interviews. At least, to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
“Nod to the past”

That can be interpreted many ways. I’m sure CGC could take shots during every interview if he wanted to. He will find many engaged audiences for it.

I haven’t claimed CGC is taking shots. Get informed you are being called out.

“A little homage to the past on the first play.”

That’s a direct quote.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t hear that presser. I’ll have to give it a listen. Call me skeptical for the moment.
I was at game and loved that on this teams first play we lined up and went thru 4 formations.
Formations were
Traditional under center spread, 2 back rpo, 1 back rpo, and 5 wo. ( And we pasted to Often injured Tyler cooksey who is trying out for tight end).

In 20 hoping to see occasionaly see a quick line up the Tobias O 2018 run around right end or pitch to the single b .

We did run one rpo stretch option right where he laterals to rb.

In cgc post game he said he wanted to give a hat tip coach johnson. Listen and judge for yourself if he is lying.

Watching the game w binoculars I was amazed that the guys have picked up the new offense so well. Sure some are better than others - - = like

LJ sees field , reads it and has the wide varieties of passes .

Ingraham has a cannon and a magical athletic first step into defensive backfield .

The other qb backups know the routes but the ball is in the air way too long.

I am optimistic about qb s and wr being ready for season opener. I no longer am envisioning a dumpster fire . I love the play where they send the 250 bb to sideline and throw him the ball and he makes 7 yr gain trucking the cb.

What if we did run the old scheme a few plays!!!

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
My gripe about the shirts has nothing whatsoever to do with my notable distaste for blue

Yes, it does reflect your notable distaste for blue! At least be honest about it! I've been catching up on this thread today, and I've read no fewer than a dozen comments from ONE PERSON about the FREE shirts handed out to students. Don't you have anything better to gripe about? Hey, we got it - OVER AND OVER AGAIN - you think it's not a good idea to hand out Navy Blue shirts in the 'Gold' versus 'White' game, and you think our marketing department is a bunch of idiots. You also think anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot!!! YEAH, WE GET IT!! Now get over it! You have a problem with BLUE!

Let's look at it another way - what if they handed out 'White' shirts? Does that mean everyone should be cheering for the "White Team"???? If they handed out Gold shirts, then everyone is cheering for the 'Gold Team'??? Maybe our marketing department was smart enough to give out a neutral color?? Hmmmm.

Yes, it does reflect your notable distaste for blue! At least be honest about it! I've been catching up on this thread today, and I've read no fewer than a dozen comments from ONE PERSON about the FREE shirts handed out to students. Don't you have anything better to gripe about? Hey, we got it - OVER AND OVER AGAIN - you think it's not a good idea to hand out Navy Blue shirts in the 'Gold' versus 'White' game, and you think our marketing department is a bunch of idiots. You also think anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot!!! YEAH, WE GET IT!! Now get over it! You have a problem with BLUE!

Let's look at it another way - what if they handed out 'White' shirts? Does that mean everyone should be cheering for the "White Team"???? If they handed out Gold shirts, then everyone is cheering for the 'Gold Team'??? Maybe our marketing department was smart enough to give out a neutral color?? Hmmmm.
At the risk of continuing the "hijack" of this thread, I will not sit back and not respond. My objection to the free shirts would have been the same had they been grey or any other color, even though yes, it was made even worse because they were blue. I have never called anyone who disagrees with me an idiot. Everyone is free to an opinion, but I will argue the opinion, no matter what the topic is, if it's one I disagree with. But I NEVER attack the individual, other than to ask why he or she can't get the drift of what I am saying, whether they agree with it or not. And at least one person on here asked me essentially the same question over and over, so yes, I questioned his ability to get what I was saying.
It would have also been "stupid" to give out only white shirts, but it would have been an easy matter to produce both white shirts and gold shirts, or a gold and white shirt. Actually I think the latter would have been awesome.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of continuing the "hijack" of this thread, I will not sit back and not respond. My objection to the free shirts would have been the same had they been grey or any other color, even though yes, it was made even worse because they were blue. I have never called anyone who disagrees with me an idiot. Everyone is free to an opinion, but I will argue the opinion, no matter what the topic is, if it's one I disagree with. But I NEVER attack the individual, other than to ask why he or she can't get the drift of what I am saying, whether they agree with it or not. And at least one person on here asked me essentially the same question over and over, so yes, I questioned his ability to get what I was saying.
It would have also been "stupid" to give out only white shirts, but it would have been an easy matter to produce both white shirts and gold shirts, or a gold and white shirt. Actually I think the latter would have been awesome.
Did u go to the game? all us minions drinking the mantra juice had a ball.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
And while here, some thoughts:
1. Definitely have some athletes. Hopefully we can make it work.
2. Nervous about DL and RB
3. Tribute or dig, who knows. Seemed tacky to me.
4. Only real complaint is players seemed to be overdoing the “swag” stuff a bit bit. Like I said im another thread, having fun and being confident is great and in fact necessary. Hopefully we don’t overdo it though and become obnoxious.

And while here, some thoughts:
1. Definitely have some athletes. Hopefully we can make it work.
2. Nervous about DL and RB
3. Tribute or dig, who knows. Seemed tacky to me.
4. Only real complaint is players seemed to be overdoing the “swag” stuff a bit bit. Like I said im another thread, having fun and being confident is great and in fact necessary. Hopefully we don’t overdo it though and become obnoxious.
Considering all the teams we play with obnoxious fans and team members, I wouldn't object to us becoming a little obnoxious too, as long as it's kept under control.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
“A little homage to the past on the first play.”

That’s a direct quote.

Geez. Why can't we just enjoy nice things?!

CGC has never stepped on CPJ's toes, and I highly doubt he's trying to show up a coach that was not only one of the most successful, but is still dearly loved by a majority of fans. I'm 100% convinced CGC and/or someone on his staff surfs various GT boards. I think they know how most of us feel about CPJ...I have no doubt they understand that a lot of us still like CPJ and we sure as heck are appreciative of the things he did here.

I actually suggested this in one of the threads a few months ago. When I saw it, I stood up and clapped. I took it as a sign of respect, but also a symbolic gesture of moving from one era to the next. That's all. That's it.

Let's enjoy the increased interest in GT football, the increased alumni support, the increased sidewalk fan support, increased recruiting interest and recruiting commits, the increased media attention, and overall fun a lot of us (current players included) seem to be having because it's new. Respect the past, but let's enjoy the process as our current coach is trying to build upon what CPJ was able to accomplish. GT is rarely in the position we're in. Let's not ruin it by thinking negative about something that was supposed to be positive.

Go Jackets!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just wish LJ had been healthy last year. I think he will be the starter, with either Graham or Oliver coming in when we need a change of pace.

IMO, LJ is clearly the starter, and it's not close. In fact, I think a true freshmen (Jordan Yates) will probably be the backup this season. I like Graham and Oliver, but Oliver is a backup or plays another position, and I think Graham struggles a bit with the touch and anticipation passes needed for this offense. He's definitely a good "change of pace" option at QB, as his athleticism and speed is among the best on both sides of the ball. For what Patenaude wants to do with the offense, I find it hard to see their long term fit there.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Geez. Why can't we just enjoy nice things?!

CGC has never stepped on CPJ's toes, and I highly doubt he's trying to show up a coach that was not only one of the most successful, but is still dearly loved by a majority of fans. I'm 100% convinced CGC and/or someone on his staff surfs various GT boards. I think they know how most of us feel about CPJ...I have no doubt they understand that a lot of us still like CPJ and we sure as heck are appreciative of the things he did here.

I actually suggested this in one of the threads a few months ago. When I saw it, I stood up and clapped. I took it as a sign of respect, but also a symbolic gesture of moving from one era to the next. That's all. That's it.

Let's enjoy the increased interest in GT football, the increased alumni support, the increased sidewalk fan support, increased recruiting interest and recruiting commits, the increased media attention, and overall fun a lot of us (current players included) seem to be having because it's new. Respect the past, but let's enjoy the process as our current coach is trying to build upon what CPJ was able to accomplish. GT is rarely in the position we're in. Let's not ruin it by thinking negative about something that was supposed to be positive.

Go Jackets!!!
I think the only people who took it as a dig are the only ones who wanted it to come off as a dig. I appreciated it and thought it was classy. Hopefully the majority of the fan base feels the same.

We need to win some games. With any luck, the fan base will quit arguing over silly topics and disagreements and come together. Ready for fall

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
I think LJ is the likely starter, but part of me wants to see what Graham can do. He showed an electric burst on a couple runs, and he was surely limited by the lack of contact on the QBs, as he would have potentially escaped several "sacks." You want the ball in the hands of a guy like him every snap. He's a home run theat every play. No clue if he can make the right reads and decisions, and questions of his arm were not answered Friday. Graham would have been the best athlete CPJ had at QB, and maybe it was just the #, but Graham gave me flashbacks to Joe Ham Friday night. If he's not the QB, I want his explosiveness on the field somewhere.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Go Jackets!!!

You didn’t get the swarm memo. If you believe the bold italics you hate CGC and think any promotion of current systems is a slap in the face to the old.

Get on board with the masses. It was clearly ONLY an homage of respect. That and NOTHING else.

Whew. Glad we got that cleared up before folks got unglued again.