Spring Game Postgame Thread

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just hope they kept a few plays from that formation too for short yardage. Also shifting into double slot as he called it (spread in cpj terms) would probably eat a timeout a game for the opposing team.
I do not like the shotgun as a base offense, never have, by anybody, and I once ran tailback in a single wing. But: particularly in short yardage I don't get lining up seven yards deep when you need to gain one yard. I know about the vision thing, and the ability to set up blocks and lanes. I just don't like it. But, if we are going to do it, I hope our QB and set backs are quick and fast and run the offense at speed, and not, based on only two games of Youtube viewing, slowing and awkward like Temple last season. That was hard to watch.

Milwaukee

Banned
I do not like the shotgun as a base offense, never have, by anybody, and I once ran tailback in a single wing. But: particularly in short yardage I don't get lining up seven yards deep when you need to gain one yard. I know about the vision thing, and the ability to set up blocks and lanes. I just don't like it. But, if we are going to do it, I hope our QB and set backs are quick and fast and run the offense at speed, and not, based on only two games of Youtube viewing, slowing and awkward like Temple last season. That was hard to watch.

Agree. I don't like the new offensive scheme at all personally, but it's the current wave.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

They might have a different plan for goal line but not want to show their hands in a public practice.

Milwaukee

Banned
They might have a different plan for goal line but not want to show their hands in a public practice.

Thought about this as well, but I doubt it. All these spread teams stay in the gun inside the 5, even Clemson. They breakout the rare package under center with their DT's playing fullback on the goalline but it's very rare. This is gonna make me pull my hair out this year when we're not running midline under center from the 4inch line. But we shall see.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thought about this as well, but I doubt it. All these spread teams stay in the gun inside the 5, even Clemson. They breakout the rare package under center with their DT's playing fullback on the goalline but it's very rare. This is gonna make me pull my hair out this year when we're not running midline under center from the 4inch line. But we shall see.

Doesn’t have to be midline but something under center sure would be nice. I always thought the criticism recently that we had no shotgun sets at all was fair. Feel similar about having no under center sets.

I haven’t watched the whole spring game still but I thought someone posted that we did run some under center plays. So I shall hold out hope.

I have a problem with remaining in the shotgun for any short yard situation, not just on the goal line.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t have to be midline but something under center sure would be nice. I always thought the criticism recently that we had no shotgun sets at all was fair. Feel similar about having no under center sets.

I haven’t watched the whole spring game still but I thought someone posted that we did run some under center plays. So I shall hold out hope.
We all know the purpose of spring game was to see what the players looked like w plain vanilla schemes.. mam on man

It was also made fun to thank the fans that attended .

I did see some plays that resembled the T Oliver run around end w option pitch to rb . No undercenter in this game. I get the sense we will be passing a lot.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am fairly confident we will have some QB under center sets. The coaches have, to a man, talked about wanting to mold the offense to the players and not the otherway around.

The Spring Game was about showing the crowd all the passing and dancing we could muster. When the team needs 3 feet, we won't regularly line up in the spread shotgun with a deep drop. Unless we are running 5 wide and looking for slant routes to cause coverage issues in a quick hit pass.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This much I think we can infer: no matter who the offensive coordinator is, he is going to run Collins's offense. He can call it what he will, but it is going to look an awful lot like Temple in 2017 and 2018. As in, mirrored. The difference, I hope, is in the athletes. I don't mind all that much that Collins is talking "pro style" offense, just as long as he doesn't run a pro style offense. There are molds to be broken and recruiting to be done, so I get it. As much as I liked the Johnson offense -- I think the only unique offense of the last 30 years -- he was never going to recruit the 1st round NFL picks at QB and running back. His was an offense without a star system. Just effective and sometimes dazzling, based on of all things, "team". Now, can Collins run the RPO with pop and glitter? He did not at Temple. Again, two games only because it was too boring to endure more short slants and lead-footed QBs with robotic hands. I hope he can. No matter how much Clemson fans talked about their defense. they went to see Watson and Lawrence throw the ball downfield.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This much I think we can infer: no matter who the offensive coordinator is, he is going to run Collins's offense. He can call it what he will, but it is going to look an awful lot like Temple in 2017 and 2018. As in, mirrored. The difference, I hope, is in the athletes. I don't mind all that much that Collins is talking "pro style" offense, just as long as he doesn't run a pro style offense. There are molds to be broken and recruiting to be done, so I get it. As much as I liked the Johnson offense -- I think the only unique offense of the last 30 years -- he was never going to recruit the 1st round NFL picks at QB and running back. His was an offense without a star system. Just effective and sometimes dazzling, based on of all things, "team". Now, can Collins run the RPO with pop and glitter? He did not at Temple. Again, two games only because it was too boring to endure more short slants and lead-footed QBs with robotic hands. I hope he can. No matter how much Clemson fans talked about their defense. they went to see Watson and Lawrence throw the ball downfield.
Just curious as to whether you watched temple put up 670 yards and 40 points against Central Fl?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Did you watch Coastal Carolina?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Hi. My name is 85Escape and I'm a 3O-aholic.

I guess I'll need to be educated. As fun as the Spring "Game" was, and despite the fact that I loved the energy and such, I found the offense kinda boring. I don't like to admit that, as I was hoping to be excited about the new direction. But in the end (and after rewatching it), I found it difficult to pay attention. It just looked like a sandlot game to me, with a bunch of people running around. I'm sure there will be a least six here who'll tell me how boring the 3O was, but after a couple of years studying it I found it almost theatrical in its flow and elegance...when it worked. It was a sight to behold and drove our opponent fans crazy during the death march era. I even started watching the O-line rather than the skill positions!

I'm sure the new system is better for a dozen reasons, so no need to jump on me for being nostalgic and wistful. Just expressing my personal reflections and hoping someone does the breakdown videos that get me excited to rewatch games. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that, when properly schooled, there is as much in the RPO/Spread-Option to geek out over.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow

Don't fall out Whiskey - but I agree wholeheartedly.

I certainly hope with the personnel we have we have put in place some under center sets. Our OC has preached that he would fit his scheme to the players he has. One would hope he at least has an under center package for Tobias Oliver for short yardage situations.