So what did Joseph do?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
supper fuzzy math...
The $687K out of $11.3M is closer to 5% not 0.5% (Actually would be over 6%).
CPJ would be approx. 16%.
I should have phrased it differently. The salaries are separate from the ticket sales. CMJ/GTWBB accounted for 0.5% of the 11.3 million.
CJP/GTMBB for 15% of the 11.3 million $ in ticket sales.

I was trying to show relevance in the comparison of salary to fannies in the seats.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Until she makes the Lady Jackets into a money maker like Pat Summit did with the Lady Vols, a 2 or 3 X pay increase is not justified. (jmo)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Now it makes more sense. Proof being that the Lady Jackets aren't bringing in the big bucks. (my comment above about Pat Summit ties to this).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Also, MBB certainly would be contributing more to the television pot, or other streams of revenue. I brought the ticket sales in to it, because the numbers were easier to break down-unlike advertising costs, television proceeds, etc.

Deleted member 2897

I should have phrased it differently. The salaries are separate from the ticket sales. CMJ/GTWBB accounted for 0.5% of the 11.3 million.
CJP/GTMBB for 15% of the 11.3 million $ in ticket sales.

So men’s basketball accounted for 30x more ticket sales revenue than women’s basketball.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If her complaints were about her individual pay, it would be strange to bring it up after missing the NCAAs 5 years in a row. Could be more about overall resources allocated to the women's program. Or it could be entirely bogus and a distraction to whatever she actually is being investigated for

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So men’s basketball accounted for 30x more ticket sales revenue than women’s basketball.

I think this is a rabbit trail with regards to this specific situation, but if you want to look at revenue, you would need to look at revenue per ticket (higher for men's BB), ancillary stadium revenue (suites, parking, concessions, etc.) and value of TV revenue from men's BB vs. women's BB. The analysis of simply looking at the number of tickets sold probably vastly underestimates the difference between revenue from men's and women's BB.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Having been a multi-sport basketball season ticket holder(please hold the pity jokes); I can tell you we have way too many comps. in WBB. The line is always longer when I walk past for a “bigger game” draw. When Walter accepted tickets at the Gate, he noticed the same. He ushered for both teams.

I approached Coach Jo a few times about Senior Living Facilities that would come out to every Sunday game and some Thursday night games. I only called a handful and all had access to vans, busses and wanted to attend(Activity Directors were itching for a place like McCamish for an afternoon). Look at UConn with the median age of their crowd. Same with school trips if you schedule a few afternoon weekday games, vs. a Clemson or a W.F. or traditionally a 500 seat crowd. I ran movie theatres in the mid to late 70’s....had the daytime secretary call the schools for special morning shows....once she made contact/got a contact, I went in for the close of the sale. It was easy filling up a 700 seat auditorium outside of Perimeter Mall for G.C.C.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I would guess that analyzing salaries is an exercise in mental masterbation because it has nothing to do with the real issue. I would be floored otherwise.
Agree. No way she was suspended for anything related to complaining about gender related issues unless she got physical with someone. There is simply no logic in taking a coach away from her team with 2 games left for something like that. The real issue is one that Tech won’t talk about until the investigation is over.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Gender equity/equality doesn’t have to be about pay. Could be access for female athletes to equipment or anything like that compared to the men’s teams.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Gender equity/equality doesn’t have to be about pay. Could be access for female athletes to equipment or anything like that compared to the men’s teams.
I agree with that, but the point of this thread is her suspension. I simply don't see any way she would be suspended no matter how much she complained. This is about something else, the gender issues are a smokescreen from her lawyers.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Could be she f'd up royally in decision making and it more than likely cost her her career.
Yep. If she was bumping monkeys with a subordinate or a student athlete then she'll never see the floor again at Tech and doubt anyone else hires her either. It's a shame because she's brought in some high level talent this year and for next year. Hopefully we can hire a strong coach that can keep the talent in place and take the program to the next level.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yep. If she was bumping monkeys with a subordinate or a student athlete then she'll never see the floor again at Tech and doubt anyone else hires her either. It's a shame because she's brought in some high level talent this year and for next year. Hopefully we can hire a strong coach that can keep the talent in place and take the program to the next level.

Haha. Made me chuckle

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

FWIW I don't think the gender equity complaints are about pay or anything that specific about the women's program. Recognizing I have no inside knowledge nor am I any of the lawyers hired by Joseph or GT AA, from the outside I think it is very possible Joseph and her lawyer are pissed that CJP was accused of a ton of bad juju and allowed to stay on the job while GT conducted their own investigation. In this case, she has obviously been accused of something and I don't know what it was or the status of any GT investigation (just starting or done) - but it is public that she has been relieved of her duties pending a decision - which may well require an investigation to be conducted. On the surface and from the outside, this seems different than the way GT handled CJP.

Regardless, it is a shot across the bow of Stansbury/GT and likely isn't making her many friends. It may well be a shot to make sure GT knows they better be really legally solid if they try to fire for cause versus negotiating a way out for her. Going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

Deleted member 2897

FWIW I don't think the gender equity complaints are about pay or anything that specific about the women's program. Recognizing I have no inside knowledge nor am I any of the lawyers hired by Joseph or GT AA, from the outside I think it is very possible Joseph and her lawyer are pissed that CJP was accused of a ton of bad juju and allowed to stay on the job while GT conducted their own investigation. In this case, she has obviously been accused of something and I don't know what it was or the status of any GT investigation (just starting or done) - but it is public that she has been relieved of her duties pending a decision - which may well require an investigation to be conducted. On the surface and from the outside, this seems different than the way GT handled CJP.

Regardless, it is a shot across the bow of Stansbury/GT and likely isn't making her many friends. It may well be a shot to make sure GT knows they better be really legally solid if they try to fire for cause versus negotiating a way out for her. Going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

Right, but that accusation was devoid of any evidence. If there was a shred of evidence at all against whatever was suspected here, she would start out from the beginning in a worse legal position than he.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This smells of a settlement rather than removal for just cause without a contract buyout. If there is credibility in the reason for the investigation then I doubt it would end up in court where allegations would become public. A settlement would keep both parties silent.