So what did Joseph do?

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
This smells of a settlement rather than removal for just cause without a contract buyout. If there is credibility in the reason for the investigation then I doubt it would end up in court where allegations would become public. A settlement would keep both parties silent.
If there's credibility and truth to the allegations against her why would Tech settle especially with her lawyer coming out and making accusations of their own against the school trying to make the school look bad?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If there's credibility and truth to the allegations against her why would Tech settle especially with her lawyer coming out and making accusations of their own against the school trying to make the school look bad?

That happens all the time. This is about Joseph's job and career - and she has every right to play hardball if she and her lawyer believe it is the best way forward. Stansbury and GT are big boys as well and used to conducting high stakes negotiations with their head and not their pissed off parts. If GT chooses to go forward with their complaint (not assured at this point), then both sides are going to make calculations on what they have to have in any settlement versus what their risk is of being found wrong in court - and what the cost of being found wrong is. Joseph is simply laying a marker that she is planning to make this deeper than just the salary outstanding. Likely a smart legal marker - again realizing I nor anyone else at this point knows anything about the case/accusations themselves.

At a base level I think she makes something around $600K and is under contract for one more year. She has a high powered employment lawyer. I can see a scenario where she wants to keep as much of that coming money as possible and keep things under CDA so she has a shot at continuing her career. GT wants to get her gone and move on with a minimum of muss and fuss. Both sides have to calculate what going to trial costs - money and reputation - and find a number and circumstances that work. GT could see trial costs of $600K fairly easily and the disruption of discovery on their operations plus as much unpleasantness in discovery as Joseph's legal team can come up with - and I expect they can be pretty good at it.

Again, settlements - even of strong cases - happen all the time - and why a good litigator is a negotiator more than a "lawyer". How many times have you seen s settlement announced where someone pays a fine and makes changes but admits no guilt and most of the evidence remains under seal? I don't know what is going on but Joseph laying out accusations doesn't bother or surprise me in the least. And doesn't change my expectation that if there is anything here there is an 80+% chance there is a settlement more than a court case.

She may have every right to play hardball, but when youre busted sometimes it's best to politely leave with as little fanfare as possible. Stay classy is always best. Her true character is about to be shown to the world.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Her strategy.

That's pretty spot on. Blame someone for something else, force them to spend a LOT of money defending it, and possibly threaten them that the discovery process could expose them to other things and create a LARGE PR mess. In the end, what's going to happen is GT and Joseph will settle and both sides part ways.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
That happens all the time. This is about Joseph's job and career - and she has every right to play hardball if she and her lawyer believe it is the best way forward. Stansbury and GT are big boys as well and used to conducting high stakes negotiations with their head and not their pissed off parts. If GT chooses to go forward with their complaint (not assured at this point), then both sides are going to make calculations on what they have to have in any settlement versus what their risk is of being found wrong in court - and what the cost of being found wrong is. Joseph is simply laying a marker that she is planning to make this deeper than just the salary outstanding. Likely a smart legal marker - again realizing I nor anyone else at this point knows anything about the case/accusations themselves.

At a base level I think she makes something around $600K and is under contract for one more year. She has a high powered employment lawyer. I can see a scenario where she wants to keep as much of that coming money as possible and keep things under CDA so she has a shot at continuing her career. GT wants to get her gone and move on with a minimum of muss and fuss. Both sides have to calculate what going to trial costs - money and reputation - and find a number and circumstances that work. GT could see trial costs of $600K fairly easily and the disruption of discovery on their operations plus as much unpleasantness in discovery as Joseph's legal team can come up with - and I expect they can be pretty good at it.

Again, settlements - even of strong cases - happen all the time - and why a good litigator is a negotiator more than a "lawyer". How many times have you seen s settlement announced where someone pays a fine and makes changes but admits no guilt and most of the evidence remains under seal? I don't know what is going on but Joseph laying out accusations doesn't bother or surprise me in the least. And doesn't change my expectation that if there is anything here there is an 80+% chance there is a settlement more than a court case.

Except what was she "busted" for?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I really hope that T.S. and Tech's lawyers have their A game ready. It always seems that Tech gets caught "with their pants down" by not knowing all the angles in this kind od situation.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I really hope that T.S. and Tech's lawyers have their A game ready. It always seems that Tech gets caught "with their pants down" by not knowing all the angles in this kind od situation.
Does GT’s lack of a law school make us inept or is this just an Engineer-type affliction? I think it’s closer to the latter. We’re seemingly poorer at people skills and miss the signals, then underestimate the risks and take action too late in these kinds of deals.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I might have missed it, but have there been any specific allegations stated?
Right now isn’t it all just third party/message board speculation (as to what exactly the reason for the suspension is)?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Family is in Indiana. Doubt the lawyer would let any of them comment. No children. Was in a previous relationship with former Purdue coach Lin Dunn(who she was an Asst. Coach to, and CMJ was a star player at the school). Lin went on to coach in the WNBA after the dismissal with the Boilermakers.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
In the world of social media and instant news, I'm ready for this to be over and seeing things move on to the next phase. I want to see Tech hoops relevant, men and women.

slugboy

Staff member
I have zero knowledge outside of what I've seen written up on this matter. She's been here a long time and done well with the women's team. If this was something minor, I would expect that something proportional would be done quietly. I think it's unlikely with everything going on that we just wanted someone different; it seems like we'd just let a program doing decently continue on that course.
If it was retaliation, like her attorney is claiming, I would have expected to hear rumors first and then see the suspension. It's not impossible that she would have been trying to fix things quietly, but it would be a really bad idea to suspend someone who's brought legitimate complaints without strong evidence of wrongdoing on her part.
Both parties could have screwed up. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's possible. With as long as she's been here, I wouldn't be surprised if she had a list of things that the AA should have handled better. If so, that doesn't mean that those things aren't minor. It also looks like she's escalated this situation out of a quiet fix.
Also, based on the vague statement from the AA, the personnel issue could be any of a number of things other than what's been guessed at, but you'd expect it to be serious. She could have misused funds, for example.
One difference between this and Pastner's situation is that this is within the AA, and the suspension is because the AA says they saw something wrong. There would have been an internal investigation or some paper trail for Joseph, but we probably wouldn't have heard anything about it. With Pastner, since the accusation came from outside, it's reasonable that the AA did an investigation to see if it was true and announced it since the allegation was public.

GT_EE78

Banned
Family is in Indiana. Doubt the lawyer would let any of them comment. No children. Was in a previous relationship with former Purdue coach Lin Dunn(who she was an Asst. Coach to, and CMJ was a star player at the school). Lin went on to coach in the WNBA after the dismissal with the Boilermakers.
haven't seen any stories about a relationship between these women but Lin Dunn and Michelle Joseph were both fired by Perdue in 1996 for recruiting violations https://www.apnews.com/699e7c45d36d0c85bd24d8886f3fe47e
just having the high profile attorney with a sleazy reputation is enough to have some cause for concern.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing news, as Tech's WBB team was close to the NCAA this year. Next year, higher expectations. Not sure anymore. How many players will leave/de-commit based on this? Have to do what's right, but damn, can't Tech sports catch a break?

Animal02

Banned
I have zero knowledge outside of what I've seen written up on this matter. She's been here a long time and done well with the women's team. If this was something minor, I would expect that something proportional would be done quietly. I think it's unlikely with everything going on that we just wanted someone different; it seems like we'd just let a program doing decently continue on that course.
If it was retaliation, like her attorney is claiming, I would have expected to hear rumors first and then see the suspension. It's not impossible that she would have been trying to fix things quietly, but it would be a really bad idea to suspend someone who's brought legitimate complaints without strong evidence of wrongdoing on her part.
Both parties could have screwed up. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's possible. With as long as she's been here, I wouldn't be surprised if she had a list of things that the AA should have handled better. If so, that doesn't mean that those things aren't minor. It also looks like she's escalated this situation out of a quiet fix.
Also, based on the vague statement from the AA, the personnel issue could be any of a number of things other than what's been guessed at, but you'd expect it to be serious. She could have misused funds, for example.
One difference between this and Pastner's situation is that this is within the AA, and the suspension is because the AA says they saw something wrong. There would have been an internal investigation or some paper trail for Joseph, but we probably wouldn't have heard anything about it. With Pastner, since the accusation came from outside, it's reasonable that the AA did an investigation to see if it was true and announced it since the allegation was public.
I have zero knowledge as well.....just having read the press releases and the stuff here.
Just speculation.......she was doing something and was told to stop.....she points to similar thing happening within the GTAA with male staff. She gets put on leave and makes the bias accusation.
Doesn't see like it would be a pay issue...but who knows.

LibertyTurns

Banned
haven't seen any stories about a relationship between these women but Lin Dunn and Michelle Joseph were both fired by Perdue in 1996 for recruiting violations https://www.apnews.com/699e7c45d36d0c85bd24d8886f3fe47e
just having the high profile attorney with a sleazy reputation is enough to have some cause for concern.
OMG I never realized Joseph was such a huge cheater. Giving recruits sodas. Surprised she didn’t get a lifetime ban from NCAA.

slugboy

Staff member
OMG I never realized Joseph was such a huge cheater. Giving recruits sodas. Surprised she didn’t get a lifetime ban from NCAA.

That was a strange article about Purdue. I’m not used to hearing about coaches fired for secondary violations.
I have to wonder if the article got the story right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
That was a strange article about Purdue. I’m not used to hearing about coaches fired for secondary violations.
I have to wonder if the article got the story right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The article to me looked more like a cover story trying to hide the truth rather than reveal it. Lin