So what coach interviewed today??

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
This could be a huge loss to our d line. Not surprised him wanting to be at factory school again with the academic restrictions Tech has.

SMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
He's going to stare up some other DC's butt for a bit more $$??

I would classify a potential $100k raise as different than a "bit more $$$" (this math obviously excludes current unannounced raise). A 50% raise is nothing to sneeze at, even with the potential for instability. Doesn't hurt to have a school like Oklahoma on your resume.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like CMP and would be happy for him to stay, but our DL was a major weakness for us in 2014. According to football outsider, we had the #82 DL in fbs.

footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

Were we #82 or worse in talent? Was it scheme?

I'm prone to think that it was just one of those years with loss of guys we were going to count on, but it was at least a bad year, even with the improvement.

Just as our losses in past years led many to underestimate how good our O has been, I fear some may have let our wins become an excuse to overestimate our D and even D improvement.

Imo, we played some of our best D vs ga and cu with 3 down linemen. We need to get better on D, esp DL, and I hope CMP is the guy, but I don't know.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
This could be a huge loss to our d line. Not surprised him wanting to be at factory school again with the academic restrictions Tech has.

^^^This^^^. We have a terrible time recruiting d-line talent due to academics and being smack dab in the middle of Mutt/SEC land. This could get very frustrating to a guy like Pelton who has coached at a place like Auburn before.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We don't have Bammers ability to call the bag man and hand him a bag of cash but we should be able to be competitive in our own respect. I can understand Pelton wanting a leadership position upgrade but to move laterally to a dumpster fire program (they may have the name but recent events indicate otherwise) if we were in the ballpark on cash would be telling. If this was a promotion to DC, then money may not even be an issue but damn. He's going to stare up some other DC's butt for a bit more $$?? He knows what he's got in Roof, CPJ, GT. I'd think that would count for something.

I personally evaluated a similar position recently and turned it down for that very fact. Both companies are equally stable, but I know what I have now. The interview dancing painted a rosy picture and was very enticing (in addition to shedding current problems) but in the end was my new Boss going to be better, same or worse than my current one and were the new problems going to be likewise?
Dumpster fire program? Do you stay awake nights coming up with this stuff?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Too Soon, but nevermind -- I was going to say Tim Edwards of UL-L, but he just got hired by Buffalo

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We don't have Bammers ability to call the bag man and hand him a bag of cash but we should be able to be competitive in our own respect. I can understand Pelton wanting a leadership position upgrade but to move laterally to a dumpster fire program (they may have the name but recent events indicate otherwise) if we were in the ballpark on cash would be telling. If this was a promotion to DC, then money may not even be an issue but damn. He's going to stare up some other DC's butt for a bit more $$?? He knows what he's got in Roof, CPJ, GT. I'd think that would count for something.

I personally evaluated a similar position recently and turned it down for that very fact. Both companies are equally stable, but I know what I have now. The interview dancing painted a rosy picture and was very enticing (in addition to shedding current problems) but in the end was my new Boss going to be better, same or worse than my current one and were the new problems going to be likewise?
Oklahoma wins 10+ games a year. They had a "down" season last year and still won 8 games. This would not be a lateral move for Pelton.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Eric- Don't want to derail topic too much, but since you mention Roof being here for the long haul...do you know how he feels about the TO? As in, if he were a successor to CPJ (hopefully CPJ is here for a very long time obviously), do you think he would keep the TO and bring in/promote one of CPJ's disciples into an official OC role?
Not Eric, but I feel in this wishful scenario, Roof would promote Cook to OC, Pelton to DC, and PJ close by for advice. Also, I hope we don't F up like southern did when they ditched the option. It's what we do now and I'm in love with the option culture.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lateral moves aren't usually made unless someone is unhappy. Even Kelly was stepping up when he moved.
As long as you say "usually" you get a pass. But there are all kinds of reasons for lateral moves, none of them having to do with unhappiness, disaffection, anger, money, upward mobility, name it. And all justifiable. Once I made a lateral move from Florida to Ohio on the premise that I had never seen Ohio. Then from Southern Ohio to Northern Ohio because my wife wanted to be closer to her family. Both times same job, same money. It was only after kids that I thought seriously about money. I know nothing about Pelton, even where he is from, though I am sure of this: Oklahoma may be down but Oklahoma ain't gonna stay down. For whatever reason he moves, if he moves, god bless him, thanks for two years, go forth and be happy. Next man up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
OU players have talent but under perform. Fruit basket turn over means the DL coach under the dc must get 100% intensity level from each player. It was obvious - pelton can do that as he got every ounce our guys had.
In past OU has had strong DL but not recently he could consider it a promotion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OU players have talent but under perform. Fruit basket turn over means the DL coach under the dc must get 100% intensity level from each player. It was obvious - pelton can do that as he got every ounce our guys had.
In past OU has had strong DL but not recently he could consider it a promotion.
A poster -- sorry, I cannot remember which -- noted the D line play, particular the tackles -- against MSU that shut down runs between the tackles and forced them to run wide, which didn't get them a lot.

Henrymcg

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he stays. (guess we'll know soon enuff)

And between Coach Johnson & Coach Roof we have every angle covered if he doesn't

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Attempting to be neutral on Pelton- his results have been mixed. He got a lot out of Freeman, Gotsis and (if word is to believed) Jabari. The results for Rook-Chungong (former 3 star) and Pat Gamble (3 star and borderline 4 star) have been spotty. He hasn't been able to turn the light on for Francis Kallon (4 star). I'd like to see him stick around another year, and see if he can get a big improvement out of the last three. Chungong improved a lot toward the end of the season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not Eric, but I feel in this wishful scenario, Roof would promote Cook to OC, Pelton to DC, and PJ close by for advice. Also, I hope we don't F up like southern did when they ditched the option. It's what we do now and I'm in love with the option culture.
My goodness. We go from "Is Pelton leaving" to "Johnson may be leaving or some such and here is a proposed line of succession and ..." My head is hurting. No argument on GSU, but Hatcher had succeeded elsewhere. Read that Johnson was peeved they ditched his offense but, hey, it wasn't his team anymore. It works that way.