So what coach interviewed today??

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
During the signing day presentation, he talked a lot about the random connections it turned out he had with the recruits from Alabama that really helped with their recruitment. Unless Oklahoma is planning on recruiting Alabama more, he'd be giving all that up.

Animal02

Banned
IIUC, he's from Goshen, Alabama and went to Auburn. He might be a bit too "country" to see leaving Atlanta as necessarily a step down.
I grew up in the sticks......western Pa., the entire county had 120k people (and still does) The thing I always liked about ATL was that you were in a big city yet could drive a couple hours one direction and be in the mountains and another direction and hit the beach, plus direct flights just about anywhere......you don't get that in Oklahoma.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Pelton is a good coach but not irreplaceable...it was known when we landed him that it would be a fight to keep him long term.

Let's hope we can get him to stay...if not then we can find someone else who gets after it.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Would hate to see him leave, but congrats to him if moving up to a bigger name brand program is where he wants to go with his career.

Aside from being in Oklahoma, OU is a dumpster fire right now. They replaced 8 of 9 assistant coaches from last year, and the guy they hired in January for DC already left for another position in the NFL.

Let's not give up too easily. What if we give him a raise and keep him right here at GT? Wouldn't have to meet the OU offer (assuming it comes). Might be able to bump him up enough to stay. It's their job to want him; it's CPJ's job to try to keep him.
Yoo Hoo! This is the price of success. Do you know how many Dodd assistants went on to bigger things? Dozens. You have to constantly reload coaches just like players when your winning and being constantly hyped on the big stage. It is what we want.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Yoo Hoo! This is the price of success. Do you know how many Dodd assistants went on to bigger things? Dozens. You have to constantly reload coaches just like players when your winning and being constantly hyped on the big stage. It is what we want.

100% correct. Program success leads to individual success for the both the coaches and the players. Mom, apple pie and the American Way!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in the sticks......western Pa., the entire county had 120k people (and still does) The thing I always liked about ATL was that you were in a big city yet could drive a couple hours one direction and be in the mountains and another direction and hit the beach, plus direct flights just about anywhere......you don't get that in Oklahoma.
I call that a metropolis

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Aside from being in Oklahoma, OU is a dumpster fire right now. They replaced 8 of 9 assistant coaches from last year, and the guy they hired in January for DC already left for another position in the NFL.
Yup, it doesn't seem like a great move at this point because of the turmoil there. But, if they offer a lot more money...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Would hate to see him leave, but congrats to him if moving up to a bigger name brand program is where he wants to go with his career.

This. CPJ will be here longer than Stoops at OU is my guess. They may be looking at being 4,5, or 6 in their own conference if UT and State keep improving. Already behind Baylor and TCU. Their fans are restless.

Animal02

Banned
Yeah, Western Texas or Western Nebraska is what I'd call remote. Banner County Nebraska has a population of 759. More cows than people I'd suspect.
The town I lived in had 1500 people and one traffic light. We had a RD address. Everyone knew everyone's business.......could not wait to get out of there. ;).....like many parts of Texas and that part of the country.....people lived for HS sports.