So what coach interviewed today??

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I am glad he is staying, but I'll pose the question no one is asking:

If CMP was not offered the job he applied for, why does he seem so stoked to be at GT? If he is this excited about staying at GT, why apply elsewhere?

Can someone add more data points to this? Did he get a raise here? Was his job here in question? What am I missing.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

If CMP was not offered the job he applied for, why does he seem so stoked to be at GT? If he is this excited about staying at GT, why apply elsewhere?

Can someone add more data points to this? Did he get a raise here? Was his job here in question? What am I missing.
Did not Eric post earlier that the assistants are due raises in spring or early summer, as part of Johnson's contract? And maybe the tradeoff he made for a really not bombshell-like $200k raise? Even with them, and I am just guessing with no internal knowledge, if competitors want to outbid us for assistants -- per Charles Kelly, and it was clear that Kelly really enjoyed working with Johnson -- they will.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck

to speculate on why he applied: to explore another situation and how much it would pay
to speculate on why he might be happy to stay: he didn't think that highly of the situation at Oklahoma

FWIW, according to an al.com article, Pelton was making $300k in 2011 at Auburn. It sounds like he has been making less than that at Tech last couple seasons.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Hahaha just a few days ago..."Pelton wouldn't be that big of a loss we can replace him easily."...Today "Hell yeah Pelton is staying 5 star coach." Oh how fickle us fans can be

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Eli

Who said that?

I feel the same about him as I did earlier in the thread.

He's a good coach who I wanted to stay but he can be replaced...he wouldn't have been as big of a loss as someone like CAM would be.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Well here are two examples

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 80

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well here are two examples

If you read those two examples closely, they both say they hoped CMP stayed. Neither has come back and said, "Hell yeah, 5 star coach" or whatever.

I'm glad he's staying, and I think he's a great coach for us; however, I still don't think we've seen evidence to say that he was irreplaceable. As I said, in my earlier post, I tend to think that our problem on DL stemmed from being just one of those years with a combination of factors rather than blaming one coach.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
He's stoked to be staying at GT because we gonna be winning a national championship next year! Yeah baybeeeeee!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't fault him for looking at what may have been a substantial $ increase. With that, I'm glad he's still at GT and open enough to recognize that what we think we want isn't always what is truly best for us.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Chemistry and Consistently are huge and yes everyone is replaceable but building relationships and trust with staff, players, high school coaches, recruits, alumni, fans should never be under estimated …..It takes time ….so it’s not plug and play. Am glad CMP is staying and hopefully we can continue to keep our onfield coaches here for a while. Also coaching Good Kids who work hard has got to be a pleasure!!! as noted several times by CPJ