Roof Out as DC

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Option, or anyone else, can you give a 10,000 ft view with somewhat layman's terms of what we could expect if we hired Nate Woody away from Appy State? Thanks in advance!!
So conceptually it's a 3-4, but with both outside linebackers walked up to the line of scrimmage so it's really more of a 5-2 with standup ends. Now, if they're playing a spread team, those OLB's can and will flex out into coverage.

The idea is that it's attack attack attack, all the time. The DL's will not be 2 gapping, they'll be shooting gaps, trying to blow stuff up in the backfield.

Frankly, I think you guys ahve really good personnel to run it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Oh ****ing PLEASE yes! All I want once in my life is to see Paul Johnson's offense paired up with a hyper aggressive attacking defense with high major athletes.

Again and again and again and again defenses at Georgia Tech have been passive read and react flow and pursue defenses.

Just for once I want to see what it looks like to have an offense and defense that puts a ton of pressure on the other Squad.

Woody runs an attacking slant 50, which is somewhat akin to **** lebeau's old twisting stunting attacking Pittsburgh defenses. This is not Al grohs catch and shed 3/4.

I can tell that I definitely don’t know as much about defense as you. Is your wish something that we can do with current players and recruits or is this something that would take two to three years to fully implement? This is the same question I have when I see “Fire CPJ” on this Board and think about possibly changing offenses.

I would also like to see a more aggressive defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We could have been a lot worse on D, and now we just lost a great recruiter.

But we'll hire an "up and comer," which is a fancy way of saying a young guy who hasn't proved himself at this level yet, and we'll hope that he is up to the task. One of two things will happen, either he'll fail, and the fan base will treat him as crappily as they treated Roof, or he'll succeed, and within a couple of years a bigger school will poach him.

Either way, we will be looking for a new DC in a few years, so yeah, Merry Christmas GT...
Please explain “great recruiter” which players have been great that he recruited? Are you happy with fielding a D turning out performances below what their talent level would indicate? Do you really think our D talent is in the 60’s?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you to both ilovetheoption and Bigdaddybuzz! That style sounds very exciting.

I didn't start following Tech til COFH 2008, so I never really saw the Tenuta defenses, so seeing an aggressive attacking D would be really cool.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Look up YouTube videos of 50-slant defense. It can be very flexible with the right guys as far as coverages and blitzes go. You can get eaten alive by TEs and getting dinked and dunked with short, quick passes (what else is new) without great ILBs.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Are the Swillings close with him? Would hate to lose them and TD.
The Swillings were close, but I would not imagine they would leave. Keep in mind that their father went here and that was a big factor in their recruitment. If we switch to something like Nate Woody's scheme, I'd imagine BJS would be a major factor in that defense. As for Tre Swilling, he might be more likely to follow Roof since Roof is the secondary coach, but the allure of playing for your dad's alma mater has to be great. Plus he'd lose a year of eligibility since he redshirted. As for TD, I think he's probably gone. He didn't take a redshirt year, so the sit out rule doesn't hurt him.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Are the Swillings close with him? Would hate to lose them and TD.

I don’t know for sure but I think I remember something along those lines in one of the Toddcasts early in the season.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I can tell that I definitely don’t know as much about defense as you. Is your wish something that we can do with current players and recruits or is this something that would take two to three years to fully implement? This is the same question I have when I see “Fire CPJ” on this Board and think about possibly changing offenses.

I would also like to see a more aggressive defense.

Again I actually think you have the hosses for it.

St. Amour could definitely be a Jack backer, and I've said before on this board that your DL are better suited to be odd front than even front. Branch is a natural odd ftont type, as is Adams, ,and Glanton could clearly go eitherr way.

It also doesn't require Mitchell to cover as much ground as from Mike. It lets you get Mitchell Alexander St Amour and Swilling on the field at the same time, and lets you get rid of the 2nd DE position that you don't really have anybody for, at the moment.

It's also a GREAT fit for a guy like Dingle.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Again I actually think you have the hosses for it.

St. Amour could definitely be a Jack backer, and I've said before on this board that your DL are better suited to be odd front than even front. Branch is a natural odd ftont type, as is Adams, ,and Glanton could clearly go eitherr way.

It also doesn't require Mitchell to cover as much ground as from Mike. It lets you get Mitchell Alexander St Amour and Swilling on the field at the same time, and lets you get rid of the 2nd DE position that you don't really have anybody for, at the moment.

It's also a GREAT fit for a guy like Dingle.

Sorry if you already wrote that. This thread is going crazy and I may have missed it. Thanks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I would like to start early complaining about whoever is our new DC first. Why, just Why are we playing this aggressive on defense and why our they CB's only a yard after the line of scrimmage. We gave up 7 points , we are wearing down our offensive making them go back on the field every time after only 3 plays.