Roof Out as DC

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So if the new DC doesn't work out can we just accept that recruiting is the main issue? We have had pretty good Ds when we had good talent under Johnson.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Roof was not successful here.Whether anybody else will be is open.I do think there is now more DEf talent in the last 2 classes.If we lose key players (swillings,etc) it will hurt. I hope PJ finds a aggressive guy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This tells me that Johnson is under some pressure. Who is going to take the job knowing that the head coach only has 3 years left on his contract and is under pressure? Are we going to guarantee a DC's contract?

Not sure how this is going to work.

crut

Helluva Engineer
This tells me that Johnson is under some pressure. Who is going to take the job knowing that the head coach only has 3 years left on his contract and is under pressure? Are we going to guarantee a DC's contract?

Not sure how this is going to work.

CPJ is not under pressure.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Nate Woody seems like a great person to look at. App State Defensive FEI and S&P ranks since he was hired:
2014 - 81 and 89
2015 - 11 and 40
2016 - 20 and 27
2017 - 30 and 36

For comparison, here is Ted Roof in the same time span:
2014 - 70 and 66
2015 - 62 and 55
2016 - 94 and 57
2017 - 66 and 67

Keep in mind App State was an FCS team moving up to FBS the year he was hired, so it's not like they had FBS level talent on their field those first few years. I'd be excited to hire him and we're certainly a step up from his previous jobs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, it’s not.

Christmas just came early for GT football.

I don’t see how it’s a loss, idk how our D could have gotten any worse.

We could have been a lot worse on D, and now we just lost a great recruiter.

But we'll hire an "up and comer," which is a fancy way of saying a young guy who hasn't proved himself at this level yet, and we'll hope that he is up to the task. One of two things will happen, either he'll fail, and the fan base will treat him as crappily as they treated Roof, or he'll succeed, and within a couple of years a bigger school will poach him.

Either way, we will be looking for a new DC in a few years, so yeah, Merry Christmas GT...

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
My unconventional preference: Take a look at guys in the CFL, even head coaches doing double-duty as GMs; chances are good that they don't make the $$$ that Roof made as DC. Plenty of CFL coaches have roots in American football, and they're accustomed to dealing with wide-open offenses. One guy I'd really like for Stansbury and CPJ to look at is Chris Jones, currently HC of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, even though his contract was recently extended through 2019. He has a reputation for aggressive defenses, exotic blitzes, he has Tennessee roots and is quite familiar with American football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Whoever next defensive coordinator is, he needs to learn a line from Jimmy Buffet’s song “Conky Tonkin” that states “ I’m just the next man you’re going to blame.”

Having said that, I will admit that I liked CTR as a person and thought the defense was improving. However, since he’s on to NC State, I’m excited and looking forward to see what the next coordinator can do, hopefully bringing some new wrinkles to the our D. THWG!

This is kind of where I am at. I think CTR had to leave because our fan base wasn't going to support him. He read the tea leaves and bolted for a better situation. I really don't blame him. But I will root for the new DC and hope he succeeds.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh ****ing PLEASE yes! All I want once in my life is to see Paul Johnson's offense paired up with a hyper aggressive attacking defense with high major athletes.

Again and again and again and again defenses at Georgia Tech have been passive read and react flow and pursue defenses.

Just for once I want to see what it looks like to have an offense and defense that puts a ton of pressure on the other Squad.

Woody runs an attacking slant 50, which is somewhat akin to **** lebeau's old twisting stunting attacking Pittsburgh defenses. This is not Al grohs catch and shed 3/4.

Option, or anyone else, can you give a 10,000 ft view with somewhat layman's terms of what we could expect if we hired Nate Woody away from Appy State? Thanks in advance!!