Roof Out as DC

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
See. This is what drives me nuts. I can point to almost any game this year with the exception of Duke, uga, or Clemson where we got multiple stops and multiple three and outs, and still lost the game, with the D taking the brunt of the blame. The UVA game in particular. D played lights out ball, but took the blame when the O couldn't mount consistent drives, regardless of the ridiculous stop rate we were putting up on D.

This is why I say hiring a new DC won't fix our issues. There are systemic problems within the GTAA that need to be addressed before we can truly hope to be a consistent program. All we are doing is pinning expectations on the new DC that really don't make sense. If getting stops and letting the O score were the answer, we'd have won 8 games this year.

I don’t disagree that we need to be better on the offensive side of the ball, but my point is more around the defense getting off the field quickly. Duke and UVA were able to grind it out and put us in bad field position when we did get the ball back. I don’t think the defense got a 3 and out against Duke in the second half until the game was over.

UGA and Clemson were just better than us. You. Aren’t going to win those very often.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of a younger DC with experience at D1 level who is enthusiastic and will really hit the recruiting hard. Someone not afraid to adopt new schemes to defend new offenses. I hope we don't get another retread on the end of their careers.

Dude, our offense was pretty good in 2016, who cares if they’ve seen it for ten years? Everyone has seen pro style offenses, but that doesn’t mean everyone can stop it. It’s all about the players executing their assignments. This past year we didn’t have enough of it, although the O wasn’t AWFUL.
Record?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Ted Roof was like the Chan Gailey of defensive coordinators. He recruited pretty decently, but he couldn’t get his talent to play up to their potential, with the exception of PJ Davis. However, I think our roster on defense is better than it was when Groh left. We may not have as many superstars as back then, but we have depth and young talent with potential. Roof didn’t do great, but at least he put us in a position where we can hire a guy like Woody and expect immediate success.

Every game. Most games multiple times. I am unsure what you mean by things haven’t changed. CPJ tweaks things almost every game. It looks the same unless you dig deeper.
We still run 99% of the time. We still fail at the forward pass. We still dive block. We still are in the top 10 in rushing , but we are still in the bottom 2% in passing. We didn't go bowling again. We had the "best OL" since Paul's been here and that was a dumpster fire. How many tweaks can he have different than 10 yrs ago. The longer he stays the worse we are getting. You should be a lot better in year 10 than you were in 1 and that is not the case. We are getting worse.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We still run 99% of the time. We still fail at the forward pass. We still dive block. We still are in the top 10 in rushing , but we are still in the bottom 2% in passing. We didn't go bowling again. We had the "best OL" since Paul's been here and that was a dumpster fire. How many tweaks can he have different than 10 yrs ago. The longer he stays the worse we are getting. You should be a lot better in year 10 than you were in 1 and that is not the case. We are getting worse.

The last part of your statement is absolutely false. Tcu was 4-8 two years ago. Michigan State was 3-9. So you'e saying both Gary Patterson and Mike Dantonio are idiots because their teams regressed later on in their career?

The last part of your statement is absolutely false. Tcu was 4-8 two years ago. Michigan State was 3-9. So you'e saying both Gary Patterson and Mike Dantonio are idiots because their teams regressed later on in their career?
Let me rephrase this. We shouldn't be as bad on the OL as we are. We shouldn't be as inept at passing as we are. We shouldn't be on our 4th DC in year 11. Those issues aren't in those programs. Id trade Paul Johnson and money for both examples you gave.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Let me rephrase this. We shouldn't be as bad on the OL as we are. We shouldn't be as inept at passing as we are. We shouldn't be on our 4th DC in year 11. Those issues aren't in those programs. Id trade Paul Johnson and money for both examples you gave.

You are dead wrong. Tcu has 3 offensive coordinators since 2013 and promoted a co offensive coordinator after going 6-7 last year

Wrong. Kids don't play 10 years. Every year is a different team. There is no carry-forward from year to year. Each new group has to learn every year, then they leave.
Not really, you have fr and sr on the the same roster that are all recruited at Tech on offense to run the Wing t. So at Tech we are bringing in the same type players every year to fit our system, which only the academy's run. So we essentially have the same roster every year. Yes there is a talent difference between classes, but in every class the cream should rise. After 10 years we are still in 1st gear. All I heard in the early years is wait until Paul gets his players and then you'll see how good we'll be. How much longer is the waiting going to be?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Not really, you have fr and sr on the the same roster that are all recruited at Tech on offense to run the Wing t. So at Tech we are bringing in the same type players every year to fit our system, which only the academy's run. So we essentially have the same roster every year. Yes there is a talent difference between classes, but in every class the cream should rise. After 10 years we are still in 1st gear. All I heard in the early years is wait until Paul gets his players and then you'll see how good we'll be. How much longer is the waiting going to be?

You lose all credibility calling our offense the wing T. Also dis the academies running it all you want but Army just won 10 games yesterday for the first time since 1996 and only the 2nd time in school history...

You are dead wrong. Tcu has 3 offensive coordinators since 2013 and promoted a co offensive coordinator after going 6-7 last year
TCU went 10-2 in 17
6-7 in 16
10 win in 15
10 plus in 14.
We have not seen that in our lifetime at Tech. Yes I'll trade that success any day. Records is what counts.

Milwaukee

Banned

How many times do you plan on saying the same thing though? You want PJ out, it's well noted. You're looking for an echo chamber that obviously isn't here no matter how bad you want it to be.

Merry Christmas man, just enjoy your weekend.

Hahaha no it's not. Also you went 4-8 in 2013. Pick stats that fit your narrative
7-6 in 2012
10 plus in 2011
Undefeated in 2010
10 plus wins in 2009
10 plus wins in 2008
How is that? So since 2008 TCU went two years not winning at a high level. Ok you got me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree that we need to be better on the offensive side of the ball, but my point is more around the defense getting off the field quickly. Duke and UVA were able to grind it out and put us in bad field position when we did get the ball back.

Complete bs on the uva game. The defense scored a td, and gave the ball to the offense at the uva 14 and set up another td. They also gave the ball to the offense at the 47 yard line for our first score. Another drive of ours started at the 43 and went nowhere. Another started at the uva 45 and went nowhere. The defense gave us plenty of good starting field position and we squandered it. The bad field position we did have was also mostly caused by inept offense. Our safety happened after our defense gave us a 3 and out following an int . Tgat safety led to a very short field where qe got another 3 and out which led to us having the ball at the 10 yard line. 6 3 and outs, 2 4 and outs, a defensive scores, and another turnover in the uva redzone.

The bad field position we had against uva was a result of the offense not defense. Our 4 worst field position starts came after 3 and outs and 1 4 and out. The problem was those 3 and outs came at mid field becaude of interceptions, sadeties, or just bad play by the offense.