Roof Out as DC

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We could have been a lot worse on D, and now we just lost a great recruiter.

But we'll hire an "up and comer," which is a fancy way of saying a young guy who hasn't proved himself at this level yet, and we'll hope that he is up to the task. One of two things will happen, either he'll fail, and the fan base will treat him as crappily as they treated Roof, or he'll succeed, and within a couple of years a bigger school will poach him.

Either way, we will be looking for a new DC in a few years, so yeah, Merry Christmas GT...
All of this is sad but true

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Rarely has so little been said with so many words.

Ok Whiskey I’ll say it slower for ya.

It’s the job of the defense to stop the other team regardless of where on the field they are asked to do so. When they don’t do that enough the DC gets fired, it happens everywhere ! Yes even where the offense isn’t a Triple Option.

Ask any defensive player or coach if it’s their fault or the offenses fault when they give up a score.

Is that better for ya ?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It would really be helpful if we could talk about football on this site without the personal garbage. All of us have opinions and none are more important than the other, if they were then some of us would be getting paid to coach. It’s fun to argue about the game but the personal crap you can keep to yourselves.

If you don’t like my post then stop reading them !

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who was Ted the lead recruiter for?

He was a major part of getting Chimedza. Quote from a MYAJC article: "Chimedza’s decision to attend Tech was founded on relationships with defensive coordinator Ted Roof, coach Paul Johnson and defensive line coach Mike Pelton and secured on the school’s academic prowess. (Tech ranks 34th in the U.S. News & World Report’s college rankings, ahead of Georgia at 54th, Florida State at 81st and Oregon at 103rd.)"

There were others as well. Yomanser affirmed earlier on the previous Roof thread that Roof was a dynamic recruiter.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The D didn't give up 40 points.

7 points came on a KO return. 2 points came on a safety. Of the remaining 31 points, the first FG was scored after a long KO return to the GT 34. GT held UVA to a FG on a short field. The second FG came after we kicked an on-sides kick and failed to recover. Again, a short field for UVA. ANother FG and a TD came on short fields due to GT turnovers. So, 25 points were scored because our O and ST failed. Only two of UVAs scoring drives went longer than 60 yards. All of the others were less than 40. 11 of 18 drives, not including end of game, were stopped cold by our D. Our D scored a Pick 6, and recovered a fumble. We held UVA to 4-17 on third down. Conversely, on 14 of 18 possessions, our Offense either punted it away or turned it over, and yet they get a pass and the D gets blamed.

This game was a microcosm of what's wrong with the way we view things. We treat CPJ and his O with kid gloves and blame the D for all the failures. Against uva, the D did exactly what the poster above said would guarantee wins: get a few stops in a row and let the Offense score. We got a lot of stops, but the offense didn't score, so we lost.

Now, I am a huge CPJ fan, and was only a moderate Roof fan. I just feel we aren't being very honest in our analysis this last year. Some of that is due to the prior year of ineptitude on D, and I get that, but to claim that our problem this year were mainly defensive in nature is dishonest. The D was improving, the offense, not so much.

Ok, in what universe does giving up 31 points equal lights out?

You can say that the defense wasn't AWFUL, and you can say that "there were mitigating factors", but never in the history of organized football has a defense given up 31 points and been called "lights out", REGARDLESS of mitigating factors.

Milwaukee

Banned
It would really be helpful if we could talk about football on this site without the personal garbage. All of us have opinions and none are more important than the other, if they were then some of us would be getting paid to coach. It’s fun to argue about the game but the personal crap you can keep to yourselves.

If you don’t like my post then stop reading them !

You've been here 2 weeks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He was a major part of getting Chimedza. Quote from a MYAJC article: "Chimedza’s decision to attend Tech was founded on relationships with defensive coordinator Ted Roof, coach Paul Johnson and defensive line coach Mike Pelton and secured on the school’s academic prowess. (Tech ranks 34th in the U.S. News & World Report’s college rankings, ahead of Georgia at 54th, Florida State at 81st and Oregon at 103rd.)"

There were others as well. Yomanser affirmed earlier on the previous Roof thread that Roof was a dynamic recruiter.
What the hell kinda metric has Uga that close to GT?

slugboy

Staff member
What the hell kinda metric has Uga that close to GT?

US News’ rating system has been criticized for ages, and colleges game it. Schools get points for being selective (how many applicants they turn down), SAT scores, reputation (via survey), graduation rate, etc.
Being hard to get into and easy to get out of are a plus in their ratings
You can find bunches of criticisms like https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...news-world-report-em-college-rankings/279103/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

TK said he had a relationship with the head coach, the D coordinator, and his position coach. Seems like a pretty generic answer imo. Also that doesn’t mean Roof is or was the reason he came, nor does it mean he wouldn’t have came if it wasn’t for Roof. Do you think Pelton is this great recruiter, because by your statement of what TK said, that would mean he is. If TK would have strictly mentioned Roof and no one else and elaborated that Roof was a big part of his decision I would say ok. TK also said academics was huge, and for all we know that could have been the deciding factor. We honestly don’t have enough info to know though and so this isn’t really a good example for saying Roof is this great recruiter. I’m not saying Roof is this bad recruiter, but what has he done that’s so GREAT? if someone can show me I’ll agree, but i haven’t seen it.

For what it’s worth I have no hard feelings towards Roof and wish him nothing but good things.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
TK said he had a relationship with the head coach, the D coordinator, and his position coach. Seems like a pretty generic answer imo. Also that doesn’t mean Roof is or was the reason he came, nor does it mean he wouldn’t have came if it wasn’t for Roof. Do you think Pelton is this great recruiter, because by your statement of what TK said, that would mean he is. If TK would have strictly mentioned Roof and no one else and elaborated that Roof was a big part of his decision I would say ok. TK also said academics was huge, and for all we know that could have been the deciding factor. We honestly don’t have enough info to know though and so this isn’t really a good example for saying Roof is this great recruiter. I’m not saying Roof is this bad recruiter, but what has he done that’s so GREAT? if someone can show me I’ll agree, but i haven’t seen it.

For what it’s worth I have no hard feelings towards Roof and wish him nothing but good things.

Gotcha. You're going to dismiss Roof as a recruiter regardless of the facts. No point in arguing about it if your mind is made up regardless of what the recruits themselves say. Yomanser himself said Roof was a good recruiter. That's enough for me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok, in what universe does giving up 31 points equal lights out?

You can say that the defense wasn't AWFUL, and you can say that "there were mitigating factors", but never in the history of organized football has a defense given up 31 points and been called "lights out", REGARDLESS of mitigating factors.

Again. You're going to ignore the fact that GT only allowed 2 sustained drives against UVA in 18 tries? You're going to ignore the 11 stops out of 18 tries? You're going to ignore the Pick 6 and the fumble recovery? You're going to ignore the third down conversion wins we had?

Instead, you're going to focus on the fact that we allowed 17 points on short fields where our D did their level best to make chicken salad out of the chicken %^$@ that the O and ST gave them.

But, yeah. Let's blame the D when clearly anything but pitching a shutout is going to be their fault.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Again. You're going to ignore the fact that GT only allowed 2 sustained drives against UVA in 18 tries? You're going to ignore the 11 stops out of 18 tries? You're going to ignore the Pick 6 and the fumble recovery? You're going to ignore the third down conversion wins we had?

Instead, you're going to focus on the fact that we allowed 17 points on short fields where our D did their level best to make chicken salad out of the chicken %^$@ that the O and ST gave them.

But, yeah. Let's blame the D when clearly anything but pitching a shutout is going to be their fault.

I agree with you, the offense did nothing in the 2nd half of that game.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotcha. You're going to dismiss Roof as a recruiter regardless of the facts. No point in arguing about it if your mind is made up regardless of what the recruits themselves say. Yomanser himself said Roof was a good recruiter. That's enough for me.

What facts? Who was he the lead on?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just said if someone can show me..... but I’ll give you TK even though he didn’t say that was his deciding factor, nor did he say anything other than having a good relationship, which he also said about Pelton and CPJ. I’ll also give the Swillings. Can you show me anyone else that has at least produced on the field? You might think I’m just not wanting to find out or have my mind made up, but that’s just not true. If someone can show me proof, and not just a few players over 5 years, then I will say ok. You say I have my mind made up, but I think that’s actually you, especially after showing no prof to back what you’re saying up @Yomanser it’s been said you did a post with what he’s done, can you lead me in the direction to find that post? Thank you.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

The D has a job and that’s to stop the opposing offense. I agree the short fields don’t help, but you are completely ignoring other factors of the game. The D gave up 2 long drives for TD’s on 17 drives, (not bad) (not counting the drive before the half because it was only 1 minute and 2 seconds, and the final drive of the game)but part of that is because they had so many short fields (not their fault) however, because of that we can’t say they played good. They very well could have still given up more long drives if the field position would have been different (that’s just a big what if though). The D gave up 7 plays of 20 yards or more, 4 of those were over 30 yards, that’s stuff that can’t be ignored. 2 of their TD’s were on BIG plays.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I just said if someone can show me..... but I’ll give you TK even though he didn’t say that was his deciding factor, nor did he say anything other than having a good relationship, which he also said about Pelton and CPJ. I’ll also give the Swillings. Can you show me anyone else that has at least produced on the field? You might think I’m just not wanting to find out or have my mind made up, but that’s just not true. If someone can show me proof, and not just a few players over 5 years, then I will say ok. You say I have my mind made up, but I think that’s actually you, especially after showing no prof to back what you’re saying up @Yomanser it’s been said you did a post with what he’s done, can you lead me in the direction to find that post? Thank you.
Yomanser says in this post (second post in thread) that the elevation in our recruiting started with Roof, particularly the inroads he was able to help establish. He's also been noted to be a really good closer in multiple threads over the years.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/yomansers-recruiting-roundup-8-7-17-q-a.12630/#post-326486

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok Whiskey I’ll say it slower for ya.

It’s the job of the defense to stop the other team regardless of where on the field they are asked to do so. When they don’t do that enough the DC gets fired, it happens everywhere ! Yes even where the offense isn’t a Triple Option.

Ask any defensive player or coach if it’s their fault or the offenses fault when they give up a score.

Is that better for ya ?

Let me speak even slower for you. Our D has never taken the field, regardless of starting field position the offense they faced possessed, and simply surrendered points with a shrug.

They fought like hell to prevent a score, regardless in their success of meeting that goal. Your presumption that they ever did less is ignorant and insulting to our SAs. I'd continue but don't want to get banned for issuing a personal insult.

Last edited:

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Apologies for being incredibly busy this holiday season (Merry Christmas, by the way!) - I've just now had time to check the site and this is the first post I saw myself tagged in. I'll quote it for you:
FYI, TK Chimedza (currently committed 4-star defensive tackle) is entirely a Roof product. We wouldn't have him committed without Roof in the picture. This also applies to the Swillings, one of which was an Army All-American and consensus 4-star. They also committed because of Roof. Along with them, Jaquan Henderson was a 4-star who whose main recruiter was Roof. Beyond those, TD Roof, Xavier Gantt, and currently committed Malachi Carter are all high-ceiling highly-regarded Roof recruits that I can name off the top of my head. He's also had us in the discussion with several high-profile recruits that Tech didn't end up landing, but wouln't have had a shot at without him. We're only now starting to see the benefits Roof is providing us in recruiting
I stand by what I said previously. I have personally talked with numerous people involved in the recruiting process, and have been told that Ted Roof and Andy McCollum are the best recruiters they have ever met, specifically citing them two. Several defensive recruits would not be at Georgia Tech today were it not for Ted Roof's efforts. To devalue his efforts is disingenuous at best, and willfully ignorant at worst