Roof Out as DC

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It seems that even with Roof leaving the concept of playing defense still eludes some.

In every game and on every team football is played the same way. The winning team gives up less than the losing team. Generally speaking every defensive player around the world, in any sport you pick will tell you that it’s on them when the other team scores. Through turnovers, starting field position, special teams or blown calls in officiating you will still here the same attitude from defensive players — it’s their job to stop the other team.

The only time the defense isn’t responsible for giving up points is when the offense gives up a pick 6, a scoop and score, ST gives up a return or a TD on a blocked kick. Every other point scored is scored on the defense - period.

If you accept that the offense is who losses the games then you accept that you do not have the expectation that the defense will ever stop a score. Be it giving up long drives or simply giving up 10 yards and a first down it’s always on the D to stop the other guys. It starts with the first play from scrimmage - the desire is to stop the other offense on each play, it is not your offensive failure that prevents this .

The concept that short fields or any other situation allows for an exception to the rule is nothing more than a misnomer . I would also challenge any of you to find a defensive coach who would make exceptions to the rule.

Roof is gone for not living up to this rule - it’s a football issue not a personal one and even if the next DC fails in this rule we will see he is treated the same way. Perhaps if there is a need for another DC after the new hire, CPJ will be leaving also but make no mistake that DC will be leaving b/c his defensive consistently failed to do its purpose, regardless of what occurred on offense or special teams.

Teams all over the land face various reasons that their offenses sputter and the DCs on everyone of them are expected to coach basics and create schemes that fill the offensive voids, when they don’t they are allowed to move on, as in this case.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They are related topics. The position of the players and how the scheme presses can help tackling. People dont give enough credit to this in defense. They just think the dude missed the tackle he sucks we need better players.

Its one reason why d who has players in the right positions also seem to tackle the best. Its also why ds that tackle the best tend to force the issue. Although those ds can alos get burnt more like vt. But nothing is perfect
I agree, however we had guys in the right place at times last year but still missed tackles. I also saw our guys pursing the outside shoulder of runners on outside runs instead of forcing them out of bounds and using the sideline as another defender.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree, however we had guys in the right place at times last year but still missed tackles. I also saw our guys pursing the outside shoulder of runners on outside runs instead of forcing them out of bounds and using the sideline as another defender.

Well thats just bad technique etc and more about not demanding that out of your players. We had a ton of guys run up to tackle and leave their feet and that is not good position even if they were there quote unquote. Roofs d had all sorts of dumb in it.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Well thats just bad technique etc and more about not demanding that out of your players. We had a ton of guys run up to tackle and leave their feet and that is not good position even if they were there quote unquote. Roofs d had all sorts of dumb in it.

Tell this to Augusta Jacket.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not much of this c
It seems that even with Roof leaving the concept of playing defense still eludes some.

In every game and on every team football is played the same way. The winning team gives up less than the losing team. Generally speaking every defensive player around the world, in any sport you pick will tell you that it’s on them when the other team scores. Through turnovers, starting field position, special teams or blown calls in officiating you will still here the same attitude from defensive players — it’s their job to stop the other team.

The only time the defense isn’t responsible for giving up points is when the offense gives up a pick 6, a scoop and score, ST gives up a return or a TD on a blocked kick. Every other point scored is scored on the defense - period.

If you accept that the offense is who losses the games then you accept that you do not have the expectation that the defense will ever stop a score. Be it giving up long drives or simply giving up 10 yards and a first down it’s always on the D to stop the other guys. It starts with the first play from scrimmage - the desire is to stop the other offense on each play, it is not your offensive failure that prevents this .

The concept that short fields or any other situation allows for an exception to the rule is nothing more than a misnomer . I would also challenge any of you to find a defensive coach who would make exceptions to the rule.

Roof is gone for not living up to this rule - it’s a football issue not a personal one and even if the next DC fails in this rule we will see he is treated the same way. Perhaps if there is a need for another DC after the new hire, CPJ will be leaving also but make no mistake that DC will be leaving b/c his defensive consistently failed to do its purpose, regardless of what occurred on offense or special teams.

Teams all over the land face various reasons that their offenses sputter and the DCs on everyone of them are expected to coach basics and create schemes that fill the offensive voids, when they don’t they are allowed to move on, as in this case.

Rarely has so little been said with so many words.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we score and the D can get a couple stops in a row the game is over.

See. This is what drives me nuts. I can point to almost any game this year with the exception of Duke, uga, or Clemson where we got multiple stops and multiple three and outs, and still lost the game, with the D taking the brunt of the blame. The UVA game in particular. D played lights out ball, but took the blame when the O couldn't mount consistent drives, regardless of the ridiculous stop rate we were putting up on D.

This is why I say hiring a new DC won't fix our issues. There are systemic problems within the GTAA that need to be addressed before we can truly hope to be a consistent program. All we are doing is pinning expectations on the new DC that really don't make sense. If getting stops and letting the O score were the answer, we'd have won 8 games this year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Tell this to Augusta Jacket.

Again, there were bad things about the D. Roof isn't perfect. But I go back to the Duke game. The announcer, a former GT player, noted that the problems weren't scheme related during the broadcast.

My contention has never been, and still isn't, that Roof is some sort of DC genius. He's a good but not great DC, but he wasn't likely to bolt if we supported him.

My issue is this. We are going to hire a new DC, most likely some younger coach with no P5 experience. If he fails, we'll be back to square one again in a couple of years. If he's successful, a bigger P5 program will poach him, and we'll be back to square one again in a couple of years. I just see no value in this constant changing of coaches when that's not where the problem lies.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Again, there were bad things about the D. Roof isn't perfect. But I go back to the Duke game. The announcer, a former GT player, noted that the problems weren't scheme related during the broadcast.

My contention has never been, and still isn't, that Roof is some sort of DC genius. He's a good but not great DC, but he wasn't likely to bolt if we supported him.

My issue is this. We are going to hire a new DC, most likely some younger coach with no P5 experience. If he fails, we'll be back to square one again in a couple of years. If he's successful, a bigger P5 program will poach him, and we'll be back to square one again in a couple of years. I just see no value in this constant changing of coaches when that's not where the problem lies.

Disagree. Roof has been below average everywhere. It's like Jeff Fisher no matter what he would always be 7-9 or 8-8 .Sometimes you are mediocre in 20 years Ted has been better than mediocre twice. Our GTAA does not teach tackling, CBs lining up 7 yards off the WRs or telegraphing blitzes. Also you can not be afraid to hire a coach because of what he "might do." You don't run a business playing scared. Because the coach "might" love tech decide to stay and be the best coach ever. See how that works?

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Kelly is a bad coach. Don't think Roof is either. But perceptions play big imo and a fresh face is needed imo. If our D struggles under Kelly.....you know what the all knowledgeable complainers will say.

Gotta be a new face imo.

That’s a lot of imo’s in one post, imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk