Roof Out as DC

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
There wasn't a lot of D in the Army - SDSU game today, but Army held the ball for 46 minutes. They had the same problem Tech has had in not generally stopping the other team on D, but at least they got one BIG interception today. Going for two pints and the win at the end was priceless. The play looked a lot like Tech's 2-point play against the Vols, but the army QB pitched the ball, and the back walked in for the two pints.
(y)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
ST and Offensive turnovers lost the UT game.

True
Speaking of stubborn, Johnson would not let Groh hire any assistants. He let Roof hire Pelton, who Roof knew from Auburn, but that was it.

As others have suggested, after 4 DCs and 10 years of bad defenses, the buck stops at the top. Not only have there been consistently bad defenses, special teams are usually bad, and despite what some people say, recruiting has been worse than average by GT standards (and I am not necessarily talking about service ratings)--you have to go back to Pepper to find consistently worse (he also ran TO).

We have a good offense every other year, just enough to keep Johnson off the hot seat with just enough people. (FBS games-Yds per attempt last five years: 51, 10, 60, 19, 52). If things get really tough, he also runs off a scapegoat.

So look for a good offense next year.

How long will this go on?

How about this: offense yards per play vs power 5:
Ranking:
2017 - 34
2016 - 18
2015 - 64
2014 - 8

Using your metric on the games that matter offensively this year we weren't bad.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I like nate woody’s front 7 system. There is a clear rhythm to it. The way they slant and attack gaps is exactly what i love and think works here. Just a quick observation so far. They dont zone blitz much. A little. But the way they attack los is not easy to pick up. Its not telegraphed. The OL had to be on their toes.

So far really nice look

Some of you probably are wondering about the deep S. Thats ok. You need to watch the cb play a ton of inside technique. They line up off but this is a super aggressive system. The slot db often doesnt move and waits on the wr.

I had to google it. But after watching a bit i was sure woody had time under patterson. And he didn’t. Alot of what they do on the backend is like tcu especially in combo coverages.

I actually cant wait to watch more of this game. His defenses are really well disguised. I have to rewind alot to make sure what i am seeing

slugboy

Staff member
There wasn't a lot of D in the Army - SDSU game today, but Army held the ball for 46 minutes. They had the same problem Tech has had in not generally stopping the other team on D, but at least they got one BIG interception today. Going for two pints and the win at the end was priceless. The play looked a lot like Tech's 2-point play against the Vols, but the army QB pitched the ball, and the back walked in for the two pints.

I’ve walked back in for two pints before. Recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
ASU has held Toledo to 44 yards through part of the 2nd qtr.

I am not good enough to know what is going on in real time, so I just go through a play during the commercial break. They do a lot to mix up the pressure from the front 7. They slant a lot.

I think this scheme is what we have been asking for, and is a complement to CPJs offense.

If we score and the D can get a couple stops in a row the game is over.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I am not good enough to know what is going on in real time, so I just go through a play during the commercial break. They do a lot to mix up the pressure from the front 7. They slant a lot.

I think this scheme is what we have been asking for, and is a complement to CPJs offense.

(y)

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So everyone is liking the idea of Nate Woody. So much so that it seems like a forgone conclusion. Does anyone have any inside info that they can share? I don't want to get sold on someone who's not coming here.

So everyone is liking the idea of Nate Woody. So much so that it seems like a forgone conclusion. Does anyone have any inside info that they can share? I don't want to get sold on someone who's not coming here.
I don't think anybody here has a clue, but someone mentioned him and the possibly convenient timing of his bowl game tonight.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Even if we already had him locked up, they would not announce anything until (probably) after Christmas...they would wait for him to finish his bowl game without distraction, and tomorrow being Christmas Eve, I suspect they'll wait until Tuesday or Wednesday....

That failed to happen way too many times this year. It failed because the offense got shut down by defenses that have seen this offense for 10 years now and nothing has changed with it. Dive blocking and no passing. Don't start the rant if we could only get a couple of stops crap. That logic has way too may holes shot through it. Did you watch any of the games this year?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like nate woody’s front 7 system. There is a clear rhythm to it. The way they slant and attack gaps is exactly what i love and think works here. Just a quick observation so far. They dont zone blitz much. A little. But the way they attack los is not easy to pick up. Its not telegraphed. The OL had to be on their toes.

So far really nice look

Some of you probably are wondering about the deep S. Thats ok. You need to watch the cb play a ton of inside technique. They line up off but this is a super aggressive system. The slot db often doesnt move and waits on the wr.

I had to google it. But after watching a bit i was sure woody had time under patterson. And he didn’t. Alot of what they do on the backend is like tcu especially in combo coverages.

I actually cant wait to watch more of this game. His defenses are really well disguised. I have to rewind alot to make sure what i am seeing
Outside of scheme, I’ll add that his D tackles very good.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That failed to happen way too many times this year. It failed because the offense got shut down by defenses that have seen this offense for 10 years now and nothing has changed with it. Dive blocking and no passing. Don't start the rant if we could only get a couple of stops crap. That logic has way too may holes shot through it. Did you watch any of the games this year?
Dude, our offense was pretty good in 2016, who cares if they’ve seen it for ten years? Everyone has seen pro style offenses, but that doesn’t mean everyone can stop it. It’s all about the players executing their assignments. This past year we didn’t have enough of it, although the O wasn’t AWFUL.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Every game. Most games multiple times. I am unsure what you mean by things haven’t changed. CPJ tweaks things almost every game. It looks the same unless you dig deeper.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Outside of scheme, I’ll add that his D tackles very good.

They are related topics. The position of the players and how the scheme presses can help tackling. People dont give enough credit to this in defense. They just think the dude missed the tackle he sucks we need better players.

Its one reason why d who has players in the right positions also seem to tackle the best. Its also why ds that tackle the best tend to force the issue. Although those ds can alos get burnt more like vt. But nothing is perfect

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
They are related topics. The position of the players and how the scheme presses can help tackling. People dont give enough credit to this in defense. They just think the dude missed the tackle he sucks we need better players.

Its one reason why d who has players in the right positions also seem to tackle the best. Its also why ds that tackle the best tend to force the issue. Although those ds can alos get burnt more like vt. But nothing is perfect
Bingo. The very best are going to take advantage of the risk-taking, but the very best were probably going to beat you anyway. Give me a scheme that gives me an advantage 75% of the time and I'll take it with a smile.