Roof Out as DC

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad he landed near home and the parting was amicable and agreeable. Unfortunately for him, he also landed with the biggest whiner and complainer in the ACC. Doeren most days can't even imitate a grown man. After five years with Johnson Roof now has to learn to make excuses, because Doeren will.

Doeren is a scapegoat artist. He literally ran OC Matt Canada out of town even though NC State was one of the better offenses, and now Canada actually made LSU QBs better than they have been in the past. Canada was also a great OC at Pitt.

Say what you want about Ted Roof's results, but he was a GT man through and through, and left with class. I hope Doeren doesn't end up Doeren'ing Roof at NC State.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Doeren is a scapegoat artist. He literally ran OC Matt Canada out of town even though NC State was one of the better offenses, and now Canada actually made LSU QBs better than they have been in the past. Canada was also a great OC at Pitt.

Say what you want about Ted Roof's results, but he was a GT man through and through, and left with class. I hope Doeren doesn't end up Doeren'ing Roof at NC State.
This. As much as I dislike leaky Roof defense, guy was a stand up professional and Tech legend as a player.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Groh had a Super Bowl winning defense. CPJ hired him partially because he saw Groh do interesting things on defense.
I don’t want Groh back, and he didn’t succeed here, but he has a record as a solid DC. He just got old. And he kept getting burned by his stubborn streak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of stubborn, Johnson would not let Groh hire any assistants. He let Roof hire Pelton, who Roof knew from Auburn, but that was it.

As others have suggested, after 4 DCs and 10 years of bad defenses, the buck stops at the top. Not only have there been consistently bad defenses, special teams are usually bad, and despite what some people say, recruiting has been worse than average by GT standards (and I am not necessarily talking about service ratings)--you have to go back to Pepper to find consistently worse (he also ran TO).

We have a good offense every other year, just enough to keep Johnson off the hot seat with just enough people. (FBS games-Yds per attempt last five years: 51, 10, 60, 19, 52). If things get really tough, he also runs off a scapegoat.

So look for a good offense next year.

How long will this go on?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
People expect us to score 40 every game and when they don't it's the offenses fault.

For the record, I'll most likely be an ardent supporter of the new DC, but the problems with our O weren't just with scoring. It was sustaining drives.

This fan base, on these very boards, said for years that if we could just get a couple of stops a game, we'd win 10 easy. Well, we got lots of stops this year. Our third down D was top 20 in FBS. Yet our offense couldn't sustain drives and kept putting our D right back on the field. But here we are blaming the D again, when they did exactly what we begged them to do.

I'll say this again. Hiring a new DC isn't going to magically fix what's wrong. We have to commit to fixing the system (GTAA) or else we'll just be playing coaching carousel in perpetuity. Hopefully TStan can make the changes necessary to get the support needed to field a championship level program.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

It's simple really. When you start with a short field, it makes things tough on the D. It's exactly why the NCAA does OT the way they do, to make scoring easier. So, knowing that the OT is set up to favor the O, then you have to acknowledge that the D is at a disadvantage in OT.

Unless, of course, acknowledging that deconstructs a narrative...

Eli

Helluva Engineer
It's simple really. When you start with a short field, it makes things tough on the D. It's exactly why the NCAA does OT the way they do, to make scoring easier. So, knowing that the OT is set up to favor the O, then you have to acknowledge that the D is at a disadvantage in OT.

Tennessee had the ball 18 mins. Therefore scored a Touchdown in regulation every 4 and a half minutes. You have no argument

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck

You kniw the defense is allowed to intercept the ball, force and recover a fumble, force a field goal attempt, right?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck

You know the defense is allowed to intercept the ball, force and recover a fumble, force a field goal attempt, right?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Again. The OT rules were set up to favor Offenses and promote scoring. The real problem in the UT game were the turnovers by our offense and the absolute dumpster fire of ST.

We gave up a scoring drive every four miniutes. How you can blame the loss on the offense is mind boggling

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Tennessee had the ball 18 mins. Therefore scored a Touchdown in regulation every 4 and a half minutes. You have no argument

GT stopped UT on 6 of 10 possessions of regulation. We had several chances to win that game in regulation, but due to turnovers and ST misfires, we let UT get back in the game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just wish we could get a guy that would have the guts to press the receivers

I really like cover 3 defenses. You can mix press with off looks at snap in the same zones. I want more of that. Cpj does too i know. He has said it before.

Less quarters. Cov 3 rolls with man free or 2 deep shells.

There wasn't a lot of D in the Army - SDSU game today, but Army held the ball for 46 minutes. They had the same problem Tech has had in not generally stopping the other team on D, but at least they got one BIG interception today. Going for two pints and the win at the end was priceless. The play looked a lot like Tech's 2-point play against the Vols, but the army QB pitched the ball, and the back walked in for the two pints.