Roof Out as DC

Groh had a Super Bowl winning defense. CPJ hired him partially because he saw Groh do interesting things on defense.
I don’t want Groh back, and he didn’t succeed here, but he has a record as a solid DC. He just got old. And he kept getting burned by his stubborn streak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds like the current OC.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is this app st dc coaching tonight vs toledo. If so i will watch and study some of the calls.

Off the bat it seems this guy runs a 3-4 right? I am not a fan of that here unless its a one gap version not a 2 gap that relies on a war daddy at nt. But i will watch and see what i can learn.
Yes he runs a 3-4 and runs it as a 1 gap.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to feel like Dan Woody isn't the aggressive attacking DC we need. Someone said he still plays his db's off the ball. I don't like that

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to feel like Dan Woody isn't the aggressive attacking DC we need. Someone said he still plays his db's off the ball. I don't like that

Depends if they are taught to see before you flee. Then off is ok. But bailing at snap and off is a disaster. Hence roof

Jmonty71

Banned
True story. Just got a call from my friend that graduated from NCState. He was whining at me about how stupid his school was. I could not disagree. I said the same, when we hired Roof. All I can say is.. I'm glad. We cut the cancer out, now time to heal. NC State will drop in defense...watch. We will get better on defense. Assuming we don't hire another washed up has been.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is what I posted earlier to the poster who said that.

I wasn’t going to watch the game until you posted this, so I went and watched to get an observation of what the corners were doing. A few things, although they were playing off the LOS like we do, it was still a lot different at times. First, for the most part the corner playing far off the LOS was on the wide side of the field where the throw is longer and easier for a CB to close. Second, the CB’s were not 10 and 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and mediums, which is something we did. Third, on medium downs the CB’s played the sticks a lot better, we were consistently playing 3 or so yards behind the sticks. Fourth, their CB’s were not back peddling at the snap as fast or often, they would allow the WR’s to get closer which allows them to close on quick routes faster. I also saw a corner playing off the LOS but at the snap sprint up (playing zone).

I’ll also add that they didn’t play off as often as we did. I’m gonna watch the game tonight to get a better idea because I’m not completely sold on him, but I do like the small sample I have seen. The only bad thing about him system is with the slanting you can get washed out sometimes, but I’ll take that aggressive style over bend but don’t break any day.

Also, here’s his Bio, he’s done some pretty good things at app state.

http://appstatesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=323&path=football

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wasn’t going to watch the game until you posted this, so I went and watched to get an observation of what the corners were doing. A few things, although they were playing off the LOS like we do, it was still a lot different at times. First, for the most part the corner playing far off the LOS was on the wide side of the field where the throw is longer and easier for a CB to close. Second, the CB’s were not 10 and 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and mediums, which is something we did. Third, on medium downs the CB’s played the sticks a lot better, we were consistently playing 3 or so yards behind the sticks. Fourth, their CB’s were not back peddling at the snap as fast or often, they would allow the WR’s to get closer which allows them to close on quick routes faster. I also saw a corner playing off the LOS but at the snap sprint up (playing zone).

Fair enough. But I also saw us doing more of these things this year also. Played more press type coverage than recently.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on Coach Woody at all. And I intend to watch the rest of that video when I have more time. But it struck me as obviously funny that those very same plays / calls, wouId have been derided by many hear as typical soft Roof coverage calls.

FWIW, I hope our next D.C. has fantastic success. I'll be pulling for, not against, him. But when he makes the right calls, and our guys fail to execute the play, our message board warriors will contend it's bad coaching.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oh no. There is no more blaming the D after this. Every complaint should be CPJ this, CPJ that. No one gets the luxury of 4 DCs in 11yrs and skirt some blame. This is all or nothing now

Depends on how much money he gets to hire the guy he wants imo. Otherwise it will be another crap shoot imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. But I also saw us doing more of these things this year also. Played more press type coverage than recently.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on Coach Woody at all. And I intend to watch the rest of that video when I have more time. But it struck me as obviously funny that those very same plays / calls, wouId have been derided by many hear as typical soft Roof coverage calls.

FWIW, I hope our next D.C. has fantastic success. I'll be pulling for, not against, him. But when he makes the right calls, and our guys fail to execute the play, our message board warriors will contend it's bad coaching.
I would find it on YouTube and watch the defensive plays like that. The other way was a little to fast to see their set up ect.

Edit: here it is

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, after 10 years and 4 DCs, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

If the next DC doesn't work out, the common denominator may be...well, doesn't take much imagination to figure what the outcome will be.
We rep the gt special offense every practice and then tell defense we are supposed to play a conventional defense. They see real game speed after the first two crummy games at the start of the season. By mid season we are better but other team sees our weak links and bang we get the last 6 quarters in 17. We have to mix it up and get more reps for our offense.

We should have a signature defense - lots of movement and frequent blitzes with emphasis on speed == kids flying around to get the ball. Come play here and get after the other team.
The bend but dont break has not worked.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our Qb ran for over 250 yards against Tennessee so yes I'm letting them off the hook for that loss at least. I'm not so anti roof that I can't have an educated debate. It's like this if you have been a below average defensive coordinator your whole entire career it does not change when you turn 50.

ST and Offensive turnovers lost the UT game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ST and Offensive turnovers lost the UT game.
Bad play on D certainly factored in as well though. Sometimes the O has to carry the load. Sometimes the D does. As much as I like Roof and believe personnel issues have been our Achilles...we haven't been able to rely on a D winning a game for us by themselves since Tenuta.

Best we have done in a long time is play good enough on D to win. We haven't dominated anyone in ages. Hopefully the improvements in personnel recently and the new guy can take us to the promised land.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 42 points bro.

When App State played UT in 2016, against QB Josh Dobbs (now with the Steelers), RB Alvin Kamara (candidate for ROY in the NFL with Saints), WR Josh Malone (now with the Bengals) they gave up 13 points in regulation, and 20 points total including overtime.

We played against UT with one of their worst offenses in some time and...well, we all know how that ended...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Roof is gone. Joined NC State's Coaching Staff as 10th Coach. Honestly, I'm happy about this, now i just hope we find a viable replacement who can take us where we need to go. Hope this doesn't affect recruiting too much.
I'm glad he landed near home and the parting was amicable and agreeable. Unfortunately for him, he also landed with the biggest whiner and complainer in the ACC. Doeren most days can't even imitate a grown man. After five years with Johnson Roof now has to learn to make excuses, because Doeren will.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
When App State played UT in 2016, against QB Josh Dobbs (now with the Steelers), RB Alvin Kamara (candidate for ROY in the NFL with Saints), WR Josh Malone (now with the Bengals) they gave up 13 points in regulation, and 20 points total including overtime.

We played against UT with one of their worst offenses in some time and...well, we all know how that ended...

People expect us to score 40 every game and when they don't it's the offenses fault.