Roof Out as DC

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't think Kelly is a bad coach. Don't think Roof is either. But perceptions play big imo and a fresh face is needed imo. If our D struggles under Kelly.....you know what the all knowledgeable complainers will say.

Gotta be a new face imo.

Oh no. There is no more blaming the D after this. Every complaint should be CPJ this, CPJ that. No one gets the luxury of 4 DCs in 11yrs and skirt some blame. This is all or nothing now

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lmao...watched the first few plays of App state on D. Cushions by the DBs looked...remarkably similar to what many here have criticized Roof for. I'll come back and watch more after my belly cramp from laughing settles down.
I wasn’t going to watch the game until you posted this, so I went and watched to get an observation of what the corners were doing. A few things, although they were playing off the LOS like we do, it was still a lot different at times. First, for the most part the corner playing far off the LOS was on the wide side of the field where the throw is longer and easier for a CB to close. Second, the CB’s were not 10 and 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and mediums, which is something we did. Third, on medium downs the CB’s played the sticks a lot better, we were consistently playing 3 or so yards behind the sticks. Fourth, their CB’s were not back peddling at the snap as fast or often, they would allow the WR’s to get closer which allows them to close on quick routes faster. I also saw a corner playing off the LOS but at the snap sprint up (playing zone).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take physical superiority thank you very much.
Joke follows
You are now in charge of defensive RECRUITING! You will be paid based 1000000 per player drafted into NFL before their senior year. But while we wait for talent we will give you 100000 per year to get players to move around pre snap.
Its not an either or situation.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t going to watch the game until you posted this, so I went and watched to get an observation of what the corners were doing. A few things, although they were playing off the LOS like we do, it was still a lot different at times. First, for the most part the corner playing far off the LOS was on the wide side of the field where the throw is longer and easier for a CB to close. Second, the CB’s were not 10 and 12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and mediums, which is something we did. Third, on medium downs the CB’s played the sticks a lot better, we were consistently playing 3 or so yards behind the sticks. Fourth, their CB’s were not back peddling at the snap as fast or often, they would allow the WR’s to get closer which allows them to close on quick routes faster. I also saw a corner playing off the LOS but at the snap sprint up (playing zone).
I've watched (UGA, Wake Forest, Idaho) 2.5 of thei games so far this morning on youtube, and I looked for exactly what you were.

What I DID see them do was rush 3, and line all 4 linebackers up at the sticks. Then they would plant their heels and NOT back up at all.

Other things that stood out.
1. They LOVE to send the double ILB blitz, where both ILB's take the same track, and the 2nd guy through essentially uses the first ILB a lead blocker on an iso play, and cuts off his hip on his way to the QB.
2. The DL slants one way or the other on EVERY play. Trying to disrupt and get up field. This is STRICTLY a 1 gap scheme.
3. It actually reminds me a little bit of the old bears 46, in that the goal is rush the QB, and you sort of gobble up the run on the way to the QB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh no. There is no more blaming the D after this. Every complaint should be CPJ this, CPJ that. No one gets the luxury of 4 DCs in 11yrs and skirt some blame. This is all or nothing now

Like I said in another thread, after 10 years and 4 DCs, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

If the next DC doesn't work out, the common denominator may be...well, doesn't take much imagination to figure what the outcome will be.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've watched (UGA, Wake Forest, Idaho) 2.5 of thei games so far this morning on youtube, and I looked for exactly what you were.

What I DID see them do was rush 3, and line all 4 linebackers up at the sticks. Then they would plant their heels and NOT back up at all.

Other things that stood out.
1. They LOVE to send the double ILB blitz, where both ILB's take the same track, and the 2nd guy through essentially uses the first ILB a lead blocker on an iso play, and cuts off his hip on his way to the QB.
2. The DL slants one way or the other on EVERY play. Trying to disrupt and get up field. This is STRICTLY a 1 gap scheme.
3. It actually reminds me a little bit of the old bears 46, in that the goal is rush the QB, and you sort of gobble up the run on the way to the QB.
I strictly watched the the DB’s but I’m going to go back and watch the DL and LB’s. Was the Wake game good to see his system be effective?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, after 10 years and 4 DCs, you have to start looking at the common denominator.

If the next DC doesn't work out, the common denominator may be...well, doesn't take much imagination to figure what the outcome will be.

Wommack, Groh and Roof were all below average D coordinator everywhere. I would like to know what it would be been like if the AD said. "Hire who you want to Paul."

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

If he was allowed to hire his first choices I would agree, but he wasn’t. Now, since we have Tstan and things are changing at GT this is where I will look and say ok something needs to change if the D issues continue. I think the big common denominator has been above CPJ, JMO.

slugboy

Staff member
Wommack, Groh and Roof were all below average D coordinator everywhere. I would like to know what it would be been like if the AD said. "Hire who you want to Paul."

Groh had a Super Bowl winning defense. CPJ hired him partially because he saw Groh do interesting things on defense.
I don’t want Groh back, and he didn’t succeed here, but he has a record as a solid DC. He just got old. And he kept getting burned by his stubborn streak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Groh had a Super Bowl winning defense. CPJ hired him partially because he saw Groh do interesting things on defense.
I don’t want Groh back, and he didn’t succeed here, but he has a record as a solid DC. He just got old. And he kept getting burned by his stubborn streak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree I was meaning later on in his career when referrng to him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's his team. No one made CPJ hire Wommack, Groh, or Roof. CPJ hand picked Groh, and even paraded him around while Wommack was still the active DC under the guise of "Groh was just curious about our offense..."

I'm a CPJ fan, but man, some of the excuses people make for the guy after 10 years is amazing. At the end of the day GT > CPJ for me. All day, every day.

Ted Roof got paid $750K/year which is in the upper 10% of pay for DCs, but yet people are still complaining that we don't have the money to pay for a good DC. Yet Wake Forest, Boston College, Purdue, Temple...all have better defenses than us (according to FEI metrics), recruit worse than us, and pay their DCs less. Somehow they were able to consistently field better defenses? Come on, we're smarter than that.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It's his team. No one made CPJ hire Wommack, Groh, or Roof. CPJ hand picked Groh, and even paraded him around while Wommack was still the active DC under the guise of "Groh was just curious about our offense..."

I'm a CPJ fan, but man, some of the excuses people make for the guy after 10 years is amazing. At the end of the day GT > CPJ for me. All day, every day.

Ted Roof got paid $750K/year which is in the upper 10% of pay for DCs, but yet people are still complaining that we don't have the money to pay for a good DC. Yet Wake Forest, Boston College, Purdue, Temple...all have better defenses than us (according to FEI metrics), recruit worse than us, and pay their DCs less. Somehow they were able to consistently field better defenses? Come one, we're smarter than that.
Yeah it seems a lot of people are CPJ>GT which is crazy

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Is this app st dc coaching tonight vs toledo. If so i will watch and study some of the calls.

Off the bat it seems this guy runs a 3-4 right? I am not a fan of that here unless its a one gap version not a 2 gap that relies on a war daddy at nt. But i will watch and see what i can learn.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Is this app st dc coaching tonight vs toledo. If so i will watch and study some of the calls.

Off the bat it seems this guy runs a 3-4 right? I am not a fan of that here unless its a one gap version not a 2 gap that relies on a war daddy at nt. But i will watch and see what i can learn.
See the above. it's a game from this year. it's a 1 gap version.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer