Recruiting.

Animal02

Banned
I agree. I think that is a thread unto itself. I'd be interested to follow the dialog of fans that are willing to "process" underperformers to get better, those who want to guarantee 4-5 year scholarships regardless of how it affects the team quality, and all those in between.
I think 4 years should be guaranteed. Red shirting should be a mutual decision in order to guarantee a fifth year. Do not think under performers should be processed. I like the idea of all schools get 'x' number of 4 year scholarships....if the kid drops, gets kicked out etc, you don't get to recycle it until the 4 years are up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think 4 years should be guaranteed. Red shirting should be a mutual decision in order to guarantee a fifth year. Do not think under performers should be processed. I like the idea of all schools get 'x' number of 4 year scholarships....if the kid drops, gets kicked out etc, you don't get to recycle it until the 4 years are up.
Pretty much what I have touted too.

Offer it and let the recruit decide if. 4 year promise is better than a year to year. Once accepted, that slot is locked up for 4 or 5 years (if red shirted). Also subject to graduation.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It'd be pretty hard to reconcile processing a kid with the whole "we're a family" sermon you keep preaching. If you oversign, you're setting yourself up for a major predicament when you don't have the expected attrition. What do you do if that happens??? Well the factory option is two fold: a) cut the current player(s) (dead weight) you don't want or b) greyshirt one (or more) of your new commits. Slippery slope.

It’s about relationships. Right? From the horses mouth.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
That is a pretty cool 'copter. James Franklin did stuff like that at Vandy - he was there for 3 years.

Here is to hoping that CGC is around longer than that, if he has the success we all would like to see.

It is extremely good that someone is providing resources like these to make GT more attractive.
Franklin left for a better gig...

slugboy

Staff member
Same thing could happen with CGC. Not saying it will, but it could.

We have a 7 year contract. If Collins leaves for greener pastures after 3, 1) it’ll show it’s been a heckuva hire and 2) we should have the ability to reload.

Losing a coach because they’re succeeding like crazy is the least of our worries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have a 7 year contract. If Collins leaves for greener pastures after 3, 1) it’ll show it’s been a heckuva hire and 2) we should have the ability to reload.

Losing a coach because they’re succeeding like crazy is the least of our worries

Coach Franklin left after a 9-4 season. I agree if CGC gets us to NY6 game & then leaves, it was a success.

slugboy

Staff member
Coach Franklin left after a 9-4 season. I agree if CGC gets us to NY6 game & then leaves, it was a success.

He also won his last two games against UT, including a 41-18 beat down where I wouldn’t have been shocked if they physically dropped an anchor on UT. I think that was the game where the Vandy placekicker brutally laid out UT’s kick returner and gave himself a concussion, or at least dazed himself.

I think it’ll take more than one NY6 game

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Of course he does, it’s his “dream job”.

We will see. We will see. Usually, if a job is someone's dream job, you see a mention of that job in someone's previous contract, where it is known that if that school came a knocking, both parties understand and have a slightly different agreement. That, of course, is not always true, but it is not always true that a coach has a "dream job".

I hope CGC is successful and stays a long time, but I still have my doubts about GT being his "dream job", although I do believe living in GA (and/or the SE) is definitely where he would rather be than Philly.

On a sidenote, has CGC ever said that growing up, he rooted for GT to beat UGA? I am sure he pulled for one or the other. Again, I think he likes the job, for sure, but I tend to think the "dream job" stuff is somewhat hyperbole.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We will see. We will see. Usually, if a job is someone's dream job, you see a mention of that job in someone's previous contract, where it is known that if that school came a knocking, both parties understand and have a slightly different agreement. That, of course, is not always true, but it is not always true that a coach has a "dream job".

I hope CGC is successful and stays a long time, but I still have my doubts about GT being his "dream job", although I do believe living in GA (and/or the SE) is definitely where he would rather be than Philly.

On a sidenote, has CGC ever said that growing up, he rooted for GT to beat UGA? I am sure he pulled for one or the other. Again, I think he likes the job, for sure, but I tend to think the "dream job" stuff is somewhat hyperbole.
Hyperbole? Seriously? Calling GT your dream job when it's not* is a dishonest attempt to ingratiate yourself with the fanbase.

*We don't know this to be the case, but the fact that it's being discussed makes me restrained in my enthusiasm.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hyperbole? Seriously? Calling GT your dream job when it's not* is a dishonest attempt to ingratiate yourself with the fanbase.

*We don't know this to be the case, but the fact that it's being discussed makes me restrained in my enthusiasm.

The reason I said "hyperbole" is it is my suspicion that having a P5 job in the south, preferably GA, could be his dream. I just don't know if GT is his "dream destination".

My "hope" is that he falls in love with GT, if he isn't already, and he has a long, successful run.

If he does stay for an extended period of time (5+ years), it will be the first time in his coaching career.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

It could be right now his family and a guess his wife's family are from here. Fact is he works very long hours and if his wife's family is from here if she is happy then he will be happy. Doesn't mean in 5-10 year he couldn't have another dream job.

Last edited:

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is this being discussed? Who cares if this is his dream job or not. If he does really well here and some large program, like Alabama, offers him a ridiculous amount of money to coach there then he should take it like any one of us would.

Cam

Helluva Engineer

For what it's worth, I have heard that CGC talked privately about wanting to be the GT head coach as far back as when he left in 2007. This being his "dream job" is not a line that popped up on the day of his introductory press conference, it's been talked about for pretty much the last decade. It's a big reason why he was at the top of the donors' HC big board back when we started the season 1-3. Out of all the coaching options that we had available to us, I feel that Collins had the greatest capacity to stay if he were successful. He seems to have a strong connection with and vision for GT, which could not be said of Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, Mike Norvell, etc. Everything he has said and done so far makes it seem like he's had a plan in place for a long time.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, I have heard that CGC talked privately about wanting to be the GT head coach as far back as when he left in 2007. This being his "dream job" is not a line that popped up on the day of his introductory press conference, it's been talked about for pretty much the last decade. It's a big reason why he was at the top of the donors' HC big board back when we started the season 1-3. Out of all the coaching options that we had available to us, I feel that Collins had the greatest capacity to stay if he were successful. He seems to have a strong connection with and vision for GT, which could not be said of Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, Mike Norvell, etc. Everything he has said and done so far makes it seem like he's had a plan in place for a long time.

This. I also think that a lot of the marketing stuff he came up with at Temple was done with Tech in mind. I actually believe that if he is successful here, Coach Collins would only leave for a very small handful of destinations...maybe even Bama and nowhere else. But it is premature to be talking about this stuff anyway. Small number of posters just want to find any little thing to take issue with right now.