Recruiting.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Collins will be visiting at least Troupe HS today in a Helicopter. Wonder where else is on his list. I would think that he would have deployed some fellas over to McEachern Highschool in Powder Springs, GA to check out some of their players. That school has 56 alumni on college rosters according to a article that I saw recently. https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-schoo...-college-rosters-2018/Rq0Yk67GPTPgGq8UJAIJwK/
On a side note Clemson has 21 players on their roster from GA. We've got to make sure that we recoup some ground with the elite players in our own state!

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
The concept of processing doesn't sit right with a lot of people... but there are a lot of layers to processing. Telling a player up front that they are unlikely to see the field or make the 2-deep and letting them have the decision is one thing... cutting a player, telling them they are losing their scholarship and kicking them out the door is another.

On the other hand, I think once you've helped a player get that GT degree, I have absolutely no problem with telling them it's time to move on. I don't believe we are obligated to give a 5th year senior grad student a roster spot and scholarship. By helping them get their degree, the program and the university have absolutely fulfilled their side of the deal. If the kid wants to keep playing, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for him through the transfer portal coming from a P5 school.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
GT should always be different for guys that have done the right stuff in the classroom and on the practice field. (and stayed out of trouble otherwise)

GT should be known for putting the "student" in the term student athlete FIRST. If a guy has eligibility left, and he desires to have that last year of football at GT, and he has done everything correctly, he should get it.

That is my opinion.
Actually a good question imo. If a player is here 4 years and earns his degree, have we fulfilled our commitment? We have had numerous guys leave with eligibility remaining who we were counting on for their 5th year. If they aren’t going to see the field does it work both ways? Not sure how I feel about it to tell the truth.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The concept of processing doesn't sit right with a lot of people... but there are a lot of layers to processing. Telling a player up front that they are unlikely to see the field or make the 2-deep and letting them have the decision is one thing... cutting a player, telling them they are losing their scholarship and kicking them out the door is another.

On the other hand, I think once you've helped a player get that GT degree, I have absolutely no problem with telling them it's time to move on. I don't believe we are obligated to give a 5th year senior grad student a roster spot and scholarship. By helping them get their degree, the program and the university have absolutely fulfilled their side of the deal. If the kid wants to keep playing, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for him through the transfer portal coming from a P5 school.

I think this is a reasonable take and I agree. Once an SA has his degree, GT has fulfilled its commitment.

We won't be processing in the sense that factories supposedly do, and actually, they don't do it as much as people think they do.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If you have a degree, it is not being processed. It is absolutely a two way street. If someone can get into our graduate program and is in our two deep, I am sure conversations will take place from both sides about a mutual desire. Kids want to play. We will not see a non performer stay after graduation. They are much more likely to move on to a school that will give them the chance to see the field. Heck, we have lost kids not in the two deep prior to graduation for a chance to see the field.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope he at least touches down in Rome for a few minutes. I heard NC State is bringing the house to meet with Griffin today.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I hope he at least touches down in Rome for a few minutes. I heard NC State is bringing the house to meet with Griffin today.

Relatively rare for someone to end up signing with the school that he decommited from. I guess he was the centerpiece of their class though, so they aren't throwing in the towel.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT should always be different for guys that have done the right stuff in the classroom and on the practice field. (and stayed out of trouble otherwise)

GT should be known for putting the "student" in the term student athlete FIRST. If a guy has eligibility left, and he desires to have that last year of football at GT, and he has done everything correctly, he should get it.

That is my opinion.

This is not, never has been, and will not be our problem.

We have for years had too many ships available, not too few.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is not, never has been, and will not be our problem.

We have for years had too many ships available, not too few.

Well, the above discussion had "presumed" that GT going forward might try to alleviate having "leftover" 'ships by over recruiting, and others were asking if that would mean the possibility of "Processing some of 5th year players".

I agree with you that this has never been a problem in the past (and most likely will not be in the future), but I do want us to be different in the way we handle "student" athletes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It'd be pretty hard to reconcile processing a kid with the whole "we're a family" sermon you keep preaching. If you oversign, you're setting yourself up for a major predicament when you don't have the expected attrition. What do you do if that happens??? Well the factory option is two fold: a) cut the current player(s) (dead weight) you don't want or b) greyshirt one (or more) of your new commits. Slippery slope.

Animal02

Banned
It'd be pretty hard to reconcile processing a kid with the whole "we're a family" sermon you keep preaching. If you oversign, you're setting yourself up for a major predicament when you don't have the expected attrition. What do you do if that happens??? Well the factory option is two fold: a) cut the current player(s) (dead weight) you don't want or b) greyshirt one (or more) of your new commits. Slippery slope.
But but but.....other postered have guaranteed that it will not be an issue since he is paid millions and oversigning would NEVER happen.:rolleyes:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
But but but.....other postered have guaranteed that it will not be an issue since he is paid millions and oversigning would NEVER happen.:rolleyes:

Yep! So, stop worrying about hypotheticals and trust the staff to manage the roster and do right by our SA's. I don't think they have given you a reason not to, but you're searching for one. Lol

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yep! So, stop worrying about hypotheticals and trust the staff to manage the roster and do right by our SA's. I don't think they have given you a reason not to, but you're searching for one. Lol

I appreciate that on this topic, as many others here lately, people can be sensitive and defensive on both sides. Not every pro-CGC post is anti-CPJ, and not every question is anti-CGC.

None of us knows for sure what actually happens that has led to undersigning in the past. IIuc, CPJ was having conversations with guys to get a measure on early attrition and attempted to sign to that number. For example, 4 guys with eligibility apparently chose to participate in Sr Day, but I don't know if all were on scholarship.

Sometimes guys with eligibility graduate, and are not seen as contributors for the next year, and their scholarship is not renewed. I don't see that as processing.

From both of these situations, you know an actual number of scholarships available greater than those losing eligibility.

Signing to that number is not oversigning.

However, sometimes guys who don't fit into either situation-- because they haven't graduated and plan on coming back--make a different decision after Spring.

Counting on this kind of attrition leads to what most call oversigning. It requires reducing the roster number before Fall camp. This is what the factories do, iiuc.

So, I think it's a fair question to ask whether people are for or against this practice.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate that on this topic, as many others here lately, people can be sensitive and defensive on both sides. Not every pro-CGC post is anti-CPJ, and not every question is anti-CGC.

None of us knows for sure what actually happens that has led to undersigning in the past. IIuc, CPJ was having conversations with guys to get a measure on early attrition and attempted to sign to that number. For example, 4 guys with eligibility apparently chose to participate in Sr Day, but I don't know if all were on scholarship.

Sometimes guys with eligibility graduate, and are not seen as contributors for the next year, and their scholarship is not renewed. I don't see that as processing.

From both of these situations, you know an actual number of scholarships available greater than those losing eligibility.

Signing to that number is not oversigning.

However, sometimes guys who don't fit into either situation-- because they haven't graduated and plan on coming back--make a different decision after Spring.

Counting on this kind of attrition leads to what most call oversigning. It requires reducing the roster number before Fall camp. This is what the factories do, iiuc.

So, I think it's a fair question to ask whether people are for or against this practice.
I agree. I think that is a thread unto itself. I'd be interested to follow the dialog of fans that are willing to "process" underperformers to get better, those who want to guarantee 4-5 year scholarships regardless of how it affects the team quality, and all those in between.