Recruiting.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
After reading through this thread, I don't understand why I must either believe that: Any recruit(no star thru 4 star) recruited by the previous coach is a bum or that any recruit(no star thru 4 star) recruited by the current coach is a bum. Why can I not have great respect for CPJ and feel good about what CGC is currently doing? Why can't I support all of the athletes recruited by either coach as GT men?
Words folks should read again and take to heart.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
the NCAA and SACS did not have joint hearings. UNC told SACS that no degrees were awarded based off of the fake classes. UNC told the NCAA that degrees were awarded to both athletes and non-athletes based on the fake classes. UNC flat out lied to at least one of the organizations. If they had been required to present in joint hearings, then they would have had penalties from at least one. I think loss of accreditation for such circumstances would be the most appropriate outcome instead of NCAA penalties. Loss of accreditation would affect the $3 billion school instead of the instead of the $96 million athletic department.
They actually slyly did not lie. They stayed out of big trouble with SACS because no degrees were awarded based off credit from the courses. They told the NCAA both athletes and (even mostly iirc) non-athletes took the courses, therefore an academic not NCAA issue.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They actually slyly did not lie. They stayed out of big trouble with SACS because no degrees were awarded based off credit from the courses. They told the NCAA both athletes and (even mostly iirc) non-athletes took the courses, therefore an academic not NCAA issue.

From what I saw reported, they told the NCAA that athletes and non-athletes took the courses, and that degrees were conferred based on the courses. Conferring degrees was important to the NCAA because if the courses did not count toward a degree, then the student athletes would not have made adequate progress toward their degrees and would have been ineligible.

EDIT: One important thing to note is that the hearings were not public. UNC was not on public record with the NCAA stating that degrees were conferred. SACS publicly stated that they were going to look into the issue again, but I never heard if they actually had or not.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
To get this back to recruiting I do believe that oversigning in the first year with the knowledge that there will be some attrition is actually ok. Although oversigning knowing that you are potentially cutting someone that you sold “family” to is going to hurt you in the long run.

I also heard someone mention that there may be a rule where it is acceptable in the first year. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Hyperbole? Seriously? Calling GT your dream job when it's not* is a dishonest attempt to ingratiate yourself with the fanbase.

*We don't know this to be the case, but the fact that it's being discussed makes me restrained in my enthusiasm.

OMG are we really looking for more reasons to dislike our new coach even before he's coached a single game?
After reading through this thread, I don't understand why I must either believe that: Any recruit(no star thru 4 star) recruited by the previous coach is a bum or that any recruit(no star thru 4 star) recruited by the current coach is a bum. Why can I not have great respect for CPJ and feel good about what CGC is currently doing? Why can't I support all of the athletes recruited by either coach as GT men?

Well said!!! That’s exactly how I feel, too!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Trying to post a some screen captures from the data base the Animal found.

Did not look at factories as that is irrelevant.

But did look at schools more like us to see where the found athletes

i added a few comments into the PDF where i pasted the maps

IMO we need to recruit very hard in Jacksonville, Tampa and in Orlando. We have done that some and it could payoff pretty quickly.
I suggest we start testing (social media ) the water in Texas near Houston and Dallas where the good school and football is player - north and west of the metro.
i don't have data to prove it but from living in NW Houston for 40 years there are lots of GT grads in that small area.
GT is well respected by every one but most coaches think we flunk out football players.

i will test the pdf to see if it comes up

Attachments

• recruting map gt army stan NW.pdf
    316.6 KB · Views: 27

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stanford has come up with a way to find 50% at very diverse locations.
The top three states are their home state, georgia, and texas. in other states is pretty much from big cities.

i wonder if Stanford and NW have trusted (not bag men) in these key cities

Attachments

• ga tech footprint.jpg
    ga tech footprint.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 55
  • stanford recruit footprint.jpg
    stanford recruit footprint.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Northwestern recruit footprint.jpg
    Northwestern recruit footprint.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 50
  • army footprint.jpg
    army footprint.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 48

slugboy

Staff member
Stanford has come up with a way to find 50% at very diverse locations.
The top three states are their home state, georgia, and texas. in other states is pretty much from big cities.

i wonder if Stanford and NW have trusted (not bag men) in these key cities

Military academies require nominations from a congressperson or you can come through military channels. They’re already recruiting across the country by necessity. Army recruits across the nation for cadets, and being a star athlete is a factor. In some respects, they have a huge number of recruiters, just not the traditional football coaches.
You’d expect a lot of regional diversity at the academies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Military academies require nominations from a congressperson or you can come through military channels. They’re already recruiting across the country by necessity. Army recruits across the nation for cadets, and being a star athlete is a factor. In some respects, they have a huge number of recruiters, just not the traditional football coaches.
You’d expect a lot of regional diversity at the academies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My best friend from high school was recruited by UT, GT and others plus West Point. He went through the nomination process like everyone else but he knew if he picked Army he would get the nomination. That's where he played.