Recruiting.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He had more than one P5 offer than never made the papers. Don't ask for a link or a source, I know this to be fact. You can choose to believe me if you want to or not, I really don't care.

There were a couple of times he could have legitimately gotten poached. One was after his first couple of years and the other after 2014. I know Auburn supposedly offered. I don't have trouble believing that. There were whispers about Nebraska wanting to bring back the option at various times, too. Post-2015, I don't think anyone was going to offer. The offense has become untouchable to AD's.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, I have heard that CGC talked privately about wanting to be the GT head coach as far back as when he left in 2007. This being his "dream job" is not a line that popped up on the day of his introductory press conference, it's been talked about for pretty much the last decade. It's a big reason why he was at the top of the donors' HC big board back when we started the season 1-3. Out of all the coaching options that we had available to us, I feel that Collins had the greatest capacity to stay if he were successful. He seems to have a strong connection with and vision for GT, which could not be said of Neal Brown, Scott Satterfield, Mike Norvell, etc. Everything he has said and done so far makes it seem like he's had a plan in place for a long time.

So from this post, I will surmise that CGC has always been a huge GT fan over UGAG.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
There were a couple of times he could have legitimately gotten poached. One was after his first couple of years and the other after 2014. I know Auburn supposedly offered. I don't have trouble believing that. There were whispers about Nebraska wanting to bring back the option at various times, too. Post-2015, I don't think anyone was going to offer. The offense has become untouchable to AD's.

Yep, that's why Monken and Ken haven't generated serious interest even though both have been as successful as CPJ was at Navy.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yep, that's why Monken and Ken haven't generated serious interest even though both have been as successful as CPJ was at Navy.

When Coach Ken was rumored to be a candidate at Arizona, their QB and fans pitched a fit and that got shut down quickly. I was reading an article on football scoop that said last year was the most efficient passing year in the whole history of college football. I think that CPJ, Ken and Monken are very good football coaches, but it is just way too tough of a sell right now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Destination job???
Bill Curry - Alabama
George O’Leary - Notre Dame
Pepper Rodgers- Georgia Tech
Nick Saban - NFL
Steve Spurrier- NFL
Chip Kelley- NFL

Grass is not always greener on the other side. I hope this is dream job and is lured by every team out there. And turns them all down.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Top tier college football has pretty much been polluted by the NFL. Too many of these kids are majoring in NFL and minoring in something really easy at the factory, where 'leave early' is often the real goal. Nowhere was this more evident to me than at UNC when Butch Davis was there. He made no bones about it when talking to recruits.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Top tier college football has pretty much been polluted by the NFL. Too many of these kids are majoring in NFL and minoring in something really easy at the factory, where 'leave early' is often the real goal. Nowhere was this more evident to me than at UNC when Butch Davis was there. He made no bones about it when talking to recruits.
But maybe there's a little bit of hope. Had not seen this when I submitted prior post:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article221899245.html

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

Would CPJ’s offense still work with someone like a Cam Newton at the helm? Absolutely! CPJ’s problem was simply an inability to get “the guy” with a great arm to run his offense. A credible passing game just adds to the effectiveness of the running game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
When Coach Ken was rumored to be a candidate at Arizona, their QB and fans pitched a fit and that got shut down quickly. I was reading an article on football scoop that said last year was the most efficient passing year in the whole history of college football. I think that CPJ, Ken and Monken are very good football coaches, but it is just way too tough of a sell right now.
That worked out fabulously for Arizona. Bravo Wildcats on a great choice!

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
He had more than one P5 offer than never made the papers. Don't ask for a link or a source, I know this to be fact. You can choose to believe me if you want to or not, I really don't care.

I'm not sure why you're being snarky but I can have an opinion too. I never thought CPJ would be offered another P5 job after about 4 years here. BTW, being asked interest in a position and willingness to interview for position is not the same thing as being offered the job. Are you saying a contract was offered to him by Auburn or Nebraska? I don't doubt programs reached out to him over the years to gauge interest.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why you're being snarky but I can have an opinion too. I never thought CPJ would be offered another P5 job after about 4 years here. BTW, being asked interest in a position and willingness to interview for position is not the same thing as being offered the job. Are you saying a contract was offered to him by Auburn or Nebraska? I don't doubt programs reached out to him over the years to gauge interest.

It was widely reported that Auburn did in fact make an offer.(Widely reported doesn't necessarily mean true). I haven't heard CPJ name schools, but he has said that he was offered a significant raise and turned it down because when his family moved to Atlanta he made a promise to his wife and daughter that she would graduate high school here.(Instead of packing up and moving again) The reports didn't indicate if Auburn had actually drawn up a paper contract or were just verbally offering.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
It was widely reported that Auburn did in fact make an offer.(Widely reported doesn't necessarily mean true). I haven't heard CPJ name schools, but he has said that he was offered a significant raise and turned it down because when his family moved to Atlanta he made a promise to his wife and daughter that she would graduate high school here.(Instead of packing up and moving again) The reports didn't indicate if Auburn had actually drawn up a paper contract or were just verbally offering.
There's that commitment paradigm again...classy!!!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But maybe there's a little bit of hope. Had not seen this when I submitted prior post:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article221899245.html

I would be against the NCAA meddling in academic matters.(What constitutes a class, what constitutes a degree, etc.) The accreditation organizations are in charge of that. The issue at UNC was that they told the NCAA one thing and told SACS another thing. Perhaps the NCAA and the accreditation organizations could have joint hearings in matters involving academics and athletics such that the school cannot say opposite things to each.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
So from this post, I will surmise that CGC has always been a huge GT fan over UGAG.
I think it is much more likely that he became a fan of CGO and Tech when given the chance as a G.A. , although a lot of guys that were in high school or younger in 1990 were swayed by Tech. He certainly is the right age to have been injected with buzz love.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I said earlier, these things run in cycles. You might be right for the time being, but offensive trends in college football are inherently unpredictable. It seems to be the opinion here that concerns about making the NFL or being able to pass a lot and attract ESPN interest or attracting attention on social media (God knows what the causal link here is) will dictate how things go in the future. All I can say to that is that they never have. What rules in college is winning. As Ds catch up with present schemes - and they will - the schemes will change. It really is only a matter of time and coach's choices. And when they do we can expect run heavy offenses to predominate.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be against the NCAA meddling in academic matters.(What constitutes a class, what constitutes a degree, etc.) The accreditation organizations are in charge of that. The issue at UNC was that they told the NCAA one thing and told SACS another thing. Perhaps the NCAA and the accreditation organizations could have joint hearings in matters involving academics and athletics such that the school cannot say opposite things to each.
But that's just what they did... and got away with it. The NCAA is just looking at how best to close the loop hole. I think the NCAA wants to stay as far away from getting into the academic underbelly as possible; in fact I'd bet that in a perfect world they'd like to avoid it altogether, which is why university leaders are involved in potential rules changes.