QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Our biggest issue isn't our QB's, its the offensive line. We were struggling just getting the snap to the QB. That affects the timing of the whole play and it becomes a mental albatross. LJ is learning just like everyone else and might not be a fit this year just because we need someone who can run and make broken plays successful. I felt bad for LJ because he made a good read on a RPO and would have been a huge play but a USF player got his paw up and made a good play. That hurt.

Side note: I'm actually shocked the LJ was recruited by CPJ for the 30. LJ looks like a more conventional QB.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Our biggest issue isn't our QB's, its the offensive line. We were struggling just getting the snap to the QB. That affects the timing of the whole play and it becomes a mental albatross. LJ is learning just like everyone else and might not be a fit this year just because we need someone who can run and make broken plays successful. I felt bad for LJ because he made a good read on a RPO and would have been a huge play but a USF player got his paw up and made a good play. That hurt.

Side note: I'm actually shocked the LJ was recruited by CPJ for the 30. LJ looks like a more conventional QB.

LJ had an 80 yard td in a spring game one year and a 30 yard on a scramble before he got injured in 2017. He was definitly going to be more of a thrower but Johnson recruited him likely to try the Vad experiment again. Unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
LJ had an 80 yard td in a spring game one year and a 30 yard on a scramble before he got injured in 2017. He was definitly going to be more of a thrower but Johnson recruited him likely to try the Vad experiment again. Unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy.
That was against a Ted Roof defense

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One of my issues with LJ is that he doesn’t seem to have a good pocket presence, imo he gets happy feet at times prematurely. I like Graham, i think he has the most upside of the 3 QB’s, he’s going to make mistakes but the coaches and fans need to suffer through so he can learn and gain confidence. I think he starts this week (because it’s his turn) i just hope the coaches leave him in there and put the situational rotating on the shelf.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Oliver is a gamer, and has something special. Not sure he's a big time QB as far as throwing the ball, but I would give him the majority of the snaps next week and let him throw it around. I'm fine with whatever the coaches decide if we win games. Kicker on the other hand is absurd to me... Wells deserves to kick. I don't care about practice. The guy has never missed a kick on the field for us. That should be enough.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Oliver is a gamer, and has something special. Not sure he's a big time QB as far as throwing the ball, but I would give him the majority of the snaps next week and let him throw it around. I'm fine with whatever the coaches decide if we win games. Kicker on the other hand is absurd to me... Wells deserves to kick. I don't care about practice. The guy has never missed a kick on the field for us. That should be enough.
To be honest I just want whoever is the kicker to make kicks, but what you’re saying is that for everyone else on the team practice matters but nor for Wells? Just hw do you sell that to the team?

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
Lucas Johnson
2016 (True Freshman): Redshirted.

2017 (Redshirt Freshman): Appeared in nine games as a backup behind starting quarterback TaQuon Marshall and, in the second half of the season, the holder on place kicks … Did not attempt a pass and only had one rush, a one-yarder in the season finale against Georgia (Nov. 25).

2018 (Redshirt Sophomore): Did not see game action after sustaining a season-ending foot injury during fall camp.

2019 (Redshirt Junior): Was granted extra year due to injury but should finish his 4year degree this year & could transfer and play two years at another school in 2020 and 2021.

FACTS: Could not beat out Taqoun Marshall in 2017.... Has not out right won the job yet this year!!!
IMHO: He is not the answer for GT, if he was he would have won the job outright at this point....You are correct there is nothing wrong with FCS, DIVII, DIV III or even NAIA athletics...

I think LJ made a mistake coming to Tech.

The CPJ system was not for him for him and in that system he would never have beaten out Taquon as bad as he was.

That is unless he came for the education and not for football.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The CPJ system was not for him for him and in that system he would never have beaten out Taquon as bad as he was.

GT was LJ's best offer. CPJ offered him based on his scouting.

If LJ's intent was to play football at the highest level and get the best degree possible then LJ made the best decision for himself which I have zero issues with.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Please define "gamer".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Then the question becomes: under what system could he play?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Please define "gamer".

There have been a couple of plays that had me feeling similar to things with Nesbitt. The one that stands out from the USF game was the bad snap that he picked up off the ground and then picked up 10 on a busted play. I think long term we want to do things Oliver isn't really suited for at QB but I think he's going to be a big part of the offense going forward no matter what. I could easily see him down the road being a sort of utility guy that we get the ball to in different ways and end up with something like 800 receiving, 500 rushing.