QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Back on topic, it is important that CGC and Patenaude stop over coaching and stick with one guy. If that guy doesn’t get it done after being given a legit shot, roll the dice with someone else. The constant shuffling in and out, and splitting practice reps prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. The ATL concept is cute and all, but it does not bode well for winning football when you are playing 3 QBs.
People keep saying this, but I'm seriously wondering if this is "fake news." I'm not buying it. Show me how, demonstratively, it prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. I don't think it necessarily does. If there is a QB controversy, then there can be division, but I've heard nothing out the locker room that talks to QB controversy. CGC has been very clear that it is a meritocracy and that the guy who has shown in practice he can do it is going to get his shot. Athletes respect that. Period.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you are saying... I just thought I heard the OC DP say he was going to install a scheme that fit his players... So I am wondering why we are not a run heavy team until we can recruit the players that will fit is spread Scheme? I would think that would give us the best chance to win.. The more Wins you get the easier it will be to recuit...But Hey I am just a guy who bought into the Hype and maybe I misunderstood what the OC was going to do...

I sure Hope that Coach Collins does not have to change OC as many times as CPJ had to change DC....

We ran 70 percent of the time vs Clemson and 65 percent vs usf. We are going run heavy. If you want 90 percent running, there was no need to change the offense at all. Settle down and have some patience while our players learn.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We ran 70 percent of the time vs Clemson and 65 percent vs usf. We are going run heavy. If you want 90 percent running, there was no need to change the offense at all. Settle down and have some patience while our players learn.
Than my next question would be 65 percent of the time against USF ( How many was with Tobias at QB) I know on the two Touchdown drives he was the QB to move the O down and score....but of the 65% How many times was TO at QB for those?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Than my next question would be 65 percent of the time against USF ( How many was with Tobias at QB) I know on the two Touchdown drives he was the QB to move the O down and score....but of the 65% How many times was TO at QB for those?

I dunno. Tobias was 2 of 3 passing. Graham was 1 for 1. Lucas was 11 of 17.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have to say I was surprised this offseason that so few people were as concerned about QB as me. There seemed to be a lot of blind faith that these guys would pick things up fast, even though none had other offers to play QB in P5. Honestly, I would be surprised if our QB of the future is among these 3 (Graham has the most upside). I expect to see Yates sooner than people think.

That said, lets give some credit to them They are working hard and taking their lumps. Lucas came back from 2 injuries and stuck with us through a coaching change. And the record will forever show he won his first career start.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
People keep saying this, but I'm seriously wondering if this is "fake news." I'm not buying it. Show me how, demonstratively, it prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. I don't think it necessarily does. If there is a QB controversy, then there can be division, but I've heard nothing out the locker room that talks to QB controversy. CGC has been very clear that it is a meritocracy and that the guy who has shown in practice he can do it is going to get his shot. Athletes respect that. Period.

Name a successful team that plays 3 QBs then. The offense has been pure lifeless through two games. Now mind you, I didn’t expect much against Clemson. The only frustration I had in the Clemson game was Patenaude refusing to give Johnson or Graham a shot early when it was apparent Clemson was going to stuff the box and make ya through it. But I surely expected more than we showed against USF. It’s two games; no conclusions can be made so quickly. But our offense has zero flow or rhythm, and no sign of any identity. We put up 250 yards on a less than mediocre opponent. The old adage if you have two QBs then you really have zero QBs rings very true to this point. Name a starter and give someone a legit chance. Playing 3 QBs will not get the job done.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Name a successful team that plays 3 QBs then. The offense has been pure lifeless through two games. Now mind you, I didn’t expect much against Clemson. The only frustration I had in the Clemson game was Patenaude refusing to give Johnson or Graham a shot early when it was apparent Clemson was going to stuff the box and make ya through it. But I surely expected more than we showed against USF. It’s two games; no conclusions can be made so quickly. But our offense has zero flow or rhythm, and no sign of any identity. We put up 250 yards on a less than mediocre opponent. The old adage if you have two QBs then you really have zero QBs rings very true to this point. Name a starter and give someone a legit chance. Playing 3 QBs will not get the job done.

YES! Right now, we have no offensive scheme or identity. Either name a QB and run the best offense for him, or name the best offense and pick the best QB for that scheme. At this point, we are changing QBs AND offensive schemes depending on which way the wind blows!! PICK A LANE AND STAY IN IT!!!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It may not be a major goal of GTFB this year to ‘settle’ on a QB.
Our biggest weakness being OL – and we had 2 OL injuries yesterday (so we went from not good to worse), it’s almost impossible for us to protect the QB in a passing situation, which makes it difficult to showcase much of what LJ can do.
And, in the interest of winning games and playing to our players’ strengths, we have to run the ball – and TO does that better than any other QB. This is where the transition away from the CPJ era maybe gets a little more painful than some expected. But that's why CGC got a 7 year contract...

Good observation. I and I think many around here want us ideally to throw the football...we're starved for a passing offense...but if we can't pass block it might be back to the drawing board 'til next year.

Optimally, James Graham might be the best option for the future IMO, but weakness on the OL might dictate we go in another direction.

It's hard to have much offense without a good OL. Good thing the defense is playing well, and that we have an excellent punter.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
( LJ was instered to hand off to JP)*
upload_2019-9-8_23-52-25.png

*TO was inserted to run the ball.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh, and iirc correctly, CPJ famously said of Graham that he will always make something happen when he plays. It might not always be good, but he will make *something* happen...LOL. My guess is the coaches want to see him control that tendency a bit better. You say it yesterday when he got a rush, ran straight backwards and then got sacked for something like a 12 yard loss. Drive-killer!

Let's watch this play out and see who performs best over time....
I think that was about Jay Jones:
On the quarterbacks:

“They didn’t play as well tonight as they’ve played most of the spring. I was a little disappointed the way they played. We missed a lot of open receivers, especially play action. And the ball security – Jay (Jones) had that thing all over the place. He’s going to make something happen one way or the other. But he had done a better job just executing with ball security than tonight.”

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
If the QBs don’t stop staring down the primary receiver we aren’t going anywhere. On the long pass late in the game, Johnson didn’t even look anywhere else. The corner who broke up the pass left his man on the outside to play the focus inside receiver. The target receiver had beaten his man deep off the line of scrimmage. The wide open people were sometimes wide open because of this - and there are two or three defenders when the ball arrives. You usually won’t see this on TV - only when you are at the game and can see the whole 22.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So here is a question for folks....especially for former players and or Coaches.... Is it to late for GT to go with a run heavy offense this year say like Wyoming or has the offense scheme installed thus far not compatible with going Run Heavy???

For Example the scheme called Zone Wham. (Like Zone Read) The play features a split flow action in the backfield with the H back moving against the grain of the play to kick out the EMOL.

Why the Zone Wham ?? It blocks the EMOL, so there is no need for a QB read. That keeps the read viable and accounts for the backside linebacker in a gap-exchange. It was something like a signature play for the 49ers during the Colin Kaepernick era. (SO it can be a Developmental Offense)

The Zone Wham can be executed out of an unbalanced formations— the tight end is covered by a wide receiver— with a Jet Sweep fake as window dressing and onand on...
Also great to see u are off the edge.

slugboy

Staff member
If the QBs don’t stop staring down the primary receiver we aren’t going anywhere.
That’s a habit that’s been burned in for a while. I hope the quarterback coaching is enough to break it. We leave a lot of opportunities on the table because we don’t see what’s there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the QBs don’t stop staring down the primary receiver we aren’t going anywhere. On the long pass late in the game, Johnson didn’t even look anywhere else. The corner who broke up the pass left his man on the outside to play the focus inside receiver. The target receiver had beaten his man deep off the line of scrimmage. The wide open people were sometimes wide open because of this - and there are two or three defenders when the ball arrives. You usually won’t see this on TV - only when you are at the game and can see the whole 22.
There is very little time our receivers are open.

The other teams have been playing against this type offense for many games.
They disguise coverages and play fast.

We have played 2 games.

If u are at the games u can see we are turn over adverse.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

for 11 years all they did was stare at a primary receiver, never had to presnap read defenses the way we do now, our prior presnap reads focused on the option calls primarily, or the route combos we do now. Its like, one spring practice, one fall, and some of us expect peyton manning. I expect the QB to stare down all year. All they did in the old offense was throw 9 routes and comebacks. There was no crossing routes, pick plays, minimal to no screen game, no RPO; we did have smash concepts only for the deep ball or comeback. Thats about it.

We essentially have 3 true freshman QBs. How many true freshman qb's stare down their target? Like, all of them.

Its going to take time. It won't be fixed this year....Its on reason I think you just let graham roll with it all year; and use TO in packages