QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Will we see Yates this week? Time to give him some PT.

As we've seen, the coaches have no issues playing freshmen.

If a player hasn't seen the field, it's because he isn't ready. Given that QB is unsettled, I highly doubt the coaches are holding Yates back for any other reason than he's just not ready. Of course, that could change depending on Yates.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
As we've seen, the coaches have no issues playing freshmen.

If a player hasn't seen the field, it's because he isn't ready. Given that QB is unsettled, I highly doubt the coaches are holding Yates back for any other reason than he's just not ready. Of course, that could change depending on Yates.
I mean at this point Graham and Johnson are basically freshman too, Oliver is the only one with actual play time in a game so we might as well throw Yates out there and see if he does well. Maybe we find our he is out Sam Howell??

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't understand how everybody has such a hardened opinion on QB's that we have seen in 2 games. Oliver is the only one I can say seems to lack some of the skills to run the entire offense. I think he's great running the ball but that seems to be all he can do. Even last year in the 3o all he did was run right and left. I don't think that will work every week and I also don't think he would stay healthy. He took some serious hits on Sat. I think LJ looks like a good QB throwing the ball but is he fast enough to run away and make big plays with his feet when things break down? Will defenses respect his ability to run? We need that right now because the Oline is going to struggle. I think LJ's confidence will get better with playing time. I have no idea about Graham as we have seen so little but what we have seen looks good.
I will agree with everyone that we need to get to a decision for a starter and using three QB's is probably not going to work very long.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I mean at this point Graham and Johnson are basically freshman too, Oliver is the only one with actual play time in a game so we might as well throw Yates out there and see if he does well. Maybe we find our he is out Sam Howell??

What if he doesn't have the plays down, can't command the huddle, doesn't know where to go with the ball, and just looks lost right now? So let's just throw him out there for the heck of it?

Like I said, if Yates could help us right now, I have zero doubts the coaches would put him out there to help us.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
What if he doesn't have the plays down, can't command the huddle, doesn't know where to go with the ball, and just looks lost right now? So let's just throw him out there for the heck of it?

Like I said, if Yates could help us right now, I have zero doubts the coaches would put him out there to help us.

That's a fair point.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think LJ made a mistake coming to Tech.

The CPJ system was not for him for him and in that system he would never have beaten out Taquon as bad as he was.

That is unless he came for the education and not for football.
Maybe he wanted a GT education? Iirc we were his only Div. 1 offer...

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
CGC saw King in practice and made a stupid damn game day decision. So I’m skeptical of his appraisals of offense and special teams players in practice and game day decisions.

LJ had a good week of practice just like King did. So we got both of them.
This also bothers me. If Dodd had gone by practise results, Lotheridge would never have started. Dodd considered Stan the Man Gann would be All American based on practise. But after 3 or 4 games in 1960, when freshman Lotheridge would pull the game out in the second half, Gann never started another game. Lotheridge never looked good in practise according to his teammates that I knew.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There have been a couple of plays that had me feeling similar to things with Nesbitt. The one that stands out from the USF game was the bad snap that he picked up off the ground and then picked up 10 on a busted play. I think long term we want to do things Oliver isn't really suited for at QB but I think he's going to be a big part of the offense going forward no matter what. I could easily see him down the road being a sort of utility guy that we get the ball to in different ways and end up with something like 800 receiving, 500 rushing.
apropos of exactly nothing, but does his helmet sit kind of funny on his head? Kind of a bubble effect up top?

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Listening to GT:60 this evening, CGC said, "If I've got three QBs who have worked hard all week to earn the right to be Above The Line players for the upcoming game, then why would I not play all three of them in that game?"

CGC is clearly laying out that the coaches' mindset regarding who plays is very different from the typical 'first string, second string, third string' football mindset.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening to GT:60 this evening, CGC said, "If I've got three QBs who have worked hard all week to earn the right to be Above The Line players for the upcoming game, then why would I not play all three of them in that game?"

CGC is clearly laying out that the coaches' mindset regarding who plays is very different from the typical 'first string, second string, third string' football mindset.

That's fine and all because it gives players hope that they could win the position for the week, but I still feel like at the end of the day it hurts us in the long wrong. It cuts down the snaps and in game experience between the QBs which they desperately need.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I'm fine with his ATL But NOT at QB if we keep playing 3 each game this may be our last win this week. After 3 days just pick one and have 1 backup