QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sadly, even when Tech has won consistently, over the past 30 years, we still didn't consistently fill the stands. Clemson and Georgia filled their stadiums long before they ever went on the streaks they have recently been on.
Clemp had ZERO sellouts last year & they’re selling 2k less tickets per game than in 2013 (82.4k vs 80.4k). Yes their stadium is 98.5% full which is great for them, but it’s not like they are selling every ticket.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-football-2018-attendance-stadium/1298253001/

I wish we had 98.5% full at Bobby Dodd!!!! I will be there next week withabout 20k of my Faithful Jackets Supporters cheering em on... (Would love to get 40K next Sat...Not seeing it)
Even though I'm sure Clemson would not be 98.5% full for a game like Citadel, I bet they would have a higher percentage of occupied seats than we will next Saturday.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So here is a question for folks....especially for former players and or Coaches.... Is it to late for GT to go with a run heavy offense this year say like Wyoming or has the offense scheme installed thus far not compatible with going Run Heavy???

For Example the scheme called Zone Wham. (Like Zone Read) The play features a split flow action in the backfield with the H back moving against the grain of the play to kick out the EMOL.

Why the Zone Wham ?? It blocks the EMOL, so there is no need for a QB read. That keeps the read viable and accounts for the backside linebacker in a gap-exchange. It was something like a signature play for the 49ers during the Colin Kaepernick era. (SO it can be a Developmental Offense)

The Zone Wham can be executed out of an unbalanced formations— the tight end is covered by a wide receiver— with a Jet Sweep fake as window dressing and onand on...

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So here is a question for folks....especially for former players and or Coaches.... Is it to late for GT to go with a run heavy offense this year say like Wyoming or has the offense scheme installed thus far not compatible with going Run Heavy???

For Example the scheme called Zone Wham. (Like Zone Read) The play features a split flow action in the backfield with the H back moving against the grain of the play to kick out the EMOL.

Why the Zone Wham ?? It blocks the EMOL, so there is no need for a QB read. That keeps the read viable and accounts for the backside linebacker in a gap-exchange. It was something like a signature play for the 49ers during the Colin Kaepernick era. (SO it can be a Developmental Offense)

The Zone Wham can be executed out of an unbalanced formations— the tight end is covered by a wide receiver— with a Jet Sweep fake as window dressing and onand on...
Too late no but could hurt his recruiting and what was said. I have no idea what he told them so it may not if he said this year's offense will not be what we will run in 3 years.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Also when we run the Inverted Veer... Why do we not use our Run blocking strength...and use the blocking scheme...Power. So run the Inverted Veer. with a Power Blocking scheme...
Power is from a family called Gap schemes. In Gap schemes, the playside linemen block to their backside gaps while one or more blockers from the backside pull around to the playside. In Power, the backside guard (the right guard in the above diagram) is the puller.

Inverted Veer adapts the Power blocking scheme for spread formations. Neither a tight end nor a fullback are necessary to block on the playside because the quarterback reads the playside EMOL. (end man on the line of scrimmage)

The QB puts the ball in the RB’s belly and shuffles laterally. If the playside EMOL— here the defensive end— squeezes inside, the quarterback hands to the RB on a sweep path.
If the EMOL comes upfield, the QB pulls the ball and runs it up inside. you could also dress this up with a Jet Sweep fake going the opposite way.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
It may not be a major goal of GTFB this year to ‘settle’ on a QB.
Our biggest weakness being OL – and we had 2 OL injuries yesterday (so we went from not good to worse), it’s almost impossible for us to protect the QB in a passing situation, which makes it difficult to showcase much of what LJ can do.
And, in the interest of winning games and playing to our players’ strengths, we have to run the ball – and TO does that better than any other QB. This is where the transition away from the CPJ era maybe gets a little more painful than some expected. But that's why CGC got a 7 year contract...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Not a former player, but yes, I would think week 3 of the season would be too late to install a new offense.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Back on topic, it is important that CGC and Patenaude stop over coaching and stick with one guy. If that guy doesn’t get it done after being given a legit shot, roll the dice with someone else. The constant shuffling in and out, and splitting practice reps prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. The ATL concept is cute and all, but it does not bode well for winning football when you are playing 3 QBs.

Deleted member 2897

Not saying it’s bad at all, but you have to admit it’s strange they lost 2k ticket sales per game after winning 2 Nattys in 3 years AND they didn’t sellout a single game in a 15-0 season, not a single one.

There is also always a difference between sold and attendance. I went to the Louisville @ Clemson game last year and there were easily 10,000 empty seats. I’ve been to every GT game there for a decade and typically just a few seats in the corners looked empty. The Louisville game was crazy.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It may not be a major goal of GTFB this year to ‘settle’ on a QB.
Our biggest weakness being OL – and we had 2 OL injuries yesterday (so we went from not good to worse), it’s almost impossible for us to protect the QB in a passing situation, which makes it difficult to showcase much of what LJ can do.
And, in the interest of winning games and playing to our players’ strengths, we have to run the ball – and TO does that better than any other QB. This is where the transition away from the CPJ era maybe gets a little more painful than some expected. But that's why CGC got a 7 year contract...
I agree with everything you are saying... I just thought I heard the OC DP say he was going to install a scheme that fit his players... So I am wondering why we are not a run heavy team until we can recruit the players that will fit is spread Scheme? I would think that would give us the best chance to win.. The more Wins you get the easier it will be to recuit...But Hey I am just a guy who bought into the Hype and maybe I misunderstood what the OC was going to do...

I sure Hope that Coach Collins does not have to change OC as many times as CPJ had to change DC....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Do you mean run heavy as in calling 65-70% run plays based on what we have already installed? No. Pretty much any offense can do that except those that are the opposite extremes. We can, and probably will be run heavy in that sense.

I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that our staff should give up practice and game experience to implement a system they don't know how to coach nor call plays for nor have any intent to run long term. That would make no sense for a number of reasons, most notably that the coaching hire we made was a decision to move away from such an offense. To do that would be the ultimate sacrifice the long term good of the program for maybe a sm=mall short term gain (and probably not even that).

GTFLETCH

Banned
Back on topic, it is important that CGC and Patenaude stop over coaching and stick with one guy. If that guy doesn’t get it done after being given a legit shot, roll the dice with someone else. The constant shuffling in and out, and splitting practice reps prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. The ATL concept is cute and all, but it does not bode well for winning football when you are playing 3 QBs.
Agree