QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTFLETCH

Banned
My exact thoughts. I will root for GT no matter what because I want the team to win and become great, doesn't matter who the QB is.

However, I don't think the QB is Lucas Johnson, for the time being we need to start Graham to see what he has got to offer and go from there, if he doesn't work out then we stick with Oliver. Either way I just want to see GT succeed.
Agree.... I really hope Tucker Gleason is ready to start from day 1

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think LJ could be a decent QB given time. He does need to make quicker decisions and put his head down a bit more. Problem is he will not get the time. While I have seen written that Tech fans will allow a down year, well if it is 2-10 with blowouts by UGA and maybe UVA will that be acceptable? Will it hurt recruiting? Yes I think so. If CGC had inherited a bad team then yes give it time to grow, but he didn't. This was a 7 and could have been a 9 win team last year. If Graham is the guy, much like JT5 should have been over Vad Lee then play him. Although tell him he can't outrun the defense running backwards. If you want to go to just 2 QB's then Tobias is the starter as the proven QB and let him start throwing. As said he broke all of his high schools records for passing.
Spot On!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
LJ might be a great practice player but so far he does not appear to be a gamer. I think DP likes him because of the 3 he is the best at making pre-snap reads and checking into the proper line protections and adjusting the play. I think Tobias is not as good at that and also has a Taquon Marshall tendency to keep the ball and miss whatever read post snap to make the most out of the play. Graham is probably even less effective at making pre-snap adjustments and processing where to go with the ball. It appears to me that Lucas is just too slow in processing his knowledge into action on the field. That might develop with time but to be honest we don't have that much time. Oliver is kind of a street baller that will give you all he's got but he just does not have the natural skill set (throwing and making the proper reads) to be an upper caliber P5 quarterback. Graham has the most natural talent but will have to work hard to learn the intricacies of the position. Sometimes, I feel like the coaches are a bit cautious with him not only because of his lack of experience but also because of his tenuous academic standing (I know that will offend some but I am just stating my opinion). In other words do you want to put your eggs in that basket and risk him being gone after this season.

If it were me I would go with Oliver and really focus on his development. I would give Graham the second shot and focus hard in his development as well. It looks like Yates is out of the Mix for this season and Gleason is a total unknown until he gets here. We really don't have a good solution but this experimentation with playing all 3 is very unproductive and makes the coaching staff look indecisive and the team without direction. I think Coach Collins needs to address this with the fan base and the press

Go Jackets!

PS - How bout the Falcons! They need to clean house and start over.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think LJ could be a decent QB given time. He does need to make quicker decisions and put his head down a bit more. Problem is he will not get the time. While I have seen written that Tech fans will allow a down year, well if it is 2-10 with blowouts by UGA and maybe UVA will that be acceptable? Will it hurt recruiting? Yes I think so. If CGC had inherited a bad team then yes give it time to grow, but he didn't. This was a 7 and could have been a 9 win team last year. If Graham is the guy, much like JT5 should have been over Vad Lee then play him. Although tell him he can't outrun the defense running backwards. If you want to go to just 2 QB's then Tobias is the starter as the proven QB and let him start throwing. As said he broke all of his high schools records for passing.

How exactly could we have been a nine win team last year?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well based on the Attendance yesterday some fans have already left..they gone...Even with all theis Hype that has not produced any results except a really ugly loos to s tem that is reaaly really bad...(USF)... this year will determine how the fan base grows or shrinks.. The last time we had a coaching change that coach won 20 games in his first two years and the fan base still shrunk....
Everybody has lost butts in the seats, to the tune of about 10% since 2008. The world evolves and we keep trying to act like it’s 1999 all over again. CGC is trying something different and it’s a big financial gamble. The ROI on the $9M transition demands about 5k more tickets per game and additional staff expense another 2k. I believe though the strategy will be to defray the additional expenses by increased ACC revenue- went from $26M to $28M in 2019 and are expecting $31.8M at end of FY2020 (July). This trajectory would make GT slightly budget revenue negative, then neutral over future spans unless attendance increases. Time will tell. Sometimes you got to spend money to make money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...initial-revenue-boost/9AjoGZ8Q83W6gclknsN44J/

https://accsports.com/acc-news/football/declining-football-attendance-inside-the-numbers-in-the-acc/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
USF, don't fumble as we are headed to score and we win. Pitt, don't run a fake punt on your 30. Yes we did those things but we basically beat ourselves. Point is Tech was a pretty decent team last year and you can't go 2-10 this year. You need at least 6 wins.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... We were an OK team last year. Got absolutely destroyed in 3 games. We beat some OK teams but nobody of note. The combined record of the FBS teams we beat was 28-46.

Our returning QBs have a total of 17 pass attempts. We lost 4 of our 8 leading rushers. Our top 3 receivers. Our returning players caught a whopping 23 passes last year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Everybody has lost butts in the seats, to the tune of about 10% since 2008. The world evolves and we keep trying to act like it’s 1999 all over again. CGC is trying something different and it’s a big financial gamble. The ROI on the $9M transition demands about 5k more tickets per game and additional staff expense another 2k. I believe though the strategy will be to defray the additional expenses by increased ACC revenue- went from $26M to $28M in 2019 and are expecting $31.8M at end of FY2020 (July). This trajectory would make GT slightly budget revenue negative, then neutral over future spans unless attendance increases. Time will tell. Sometimes you got to spend money to make money.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...initial-revenue-boost/9AjoGZ8Q83W6gclknsN44J/

https://accsports.com/acc-news/football/declining-football-attendance-inside-the-numbers-in-the-acc/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/
Good Point.... But I think the USF game shows something... The Bad Press CPJ got for Running the TO was not the reason why fans did not show up... And yesterday with a NewEra in town was not a reason for fans to show up.... So the question is when will Georgia Tech Fans Show Up?? I think we know the answer... When Tech has season like 1998, 2008, 2009, 2014.... So I think it is a blessing that CGC has a 7 year contract and the ACCN will provide TV money becuase if he can't at leasst avg 7 wins a season like CCG and CPJ fans will not show up. The pressure to win in College is much like the NFL...(What have you done for me lately) Since AI 2020 is not complete and funds will be needed

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Guys, while I have my now opinions based on what we have seen on the field the first two games, please let's remember that the coaches see these guys in practice A LOT more than we do. I am comfortable with letting them decide when and how to use them.

I am not a huge fan of "situational offense" as it is called....like bring in a running back to take the direct snap and run the ball, mostly because the defense knows what you are going to run. BUT, I am all about letting guys compete and rewarding those who do well in practice...at least, to a point. Let the coaches decide this stuff.

CGC saw King in practice and made a stupid damn game day decision. So I’m skeptical of his appraisals of offense and special teams players in practice and game day decisions.

LJ had a good week of practice just like King did. So we got both of them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Good Point.... But I think the USF game shows something... The Bad Press CPJ got for Running the TO was not the reason why fans did not show up... And yesterday with a NewEra in town was not a reason for fans to show up.... So the question is when will Georgia Tech Fans Show Up?? I think we know the answer... When Tech has season like 1998, 2008, 2009, 2014.... So I think it is a blessing that CGC has a 7 year contract and the ACCN will provide TV money becuase if he can't at leasst avg 7 wins a season like CCG and CPJ fans will not show up. The pressure to win in College is much like the NFL...(What have you done for me lately) Since AI 2020 is not complete and funds will be needed
I have had season tickets for 38 years before we add the North end zone seating was about 44,000 to maybe 48,000 and we could get sellouts. I'm not sure right now anything will help too many games on TV. Parents want to go see their kids play times have changed. We not going to get sellouts even if we average 7 or 8 wins a year. Lots of students in college don't care about sports. I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years there are only 30 teams or less playing D1 football.

I have had season tickets for 38 years before we add the North end zone seating was about 44,000 to maybe 48,000 and we could get sellouts. I'm not sure right now anything will help too many games on TV. Parents want to go see their kids play times have changed. We not going to get sellouts even if we average 7 or 8 wins a year. Lots of students in college don't care about sports. I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years there are only 30 teams or less playing D1 football.
Tell that to Clemson and (from what I have gathered) Bama and Georgia, among many others. Clemson was packed (INCLUDING THE STUDENT SECTIONS) at least 15 minutes before kickoff.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Tell that to Clemson and (from what I have gathered) Bama and Georgia, among many others. Clemson was packed (INCLUDING THE STUDENT SECTIONS) at least 15 minutes before kickoff.

Yep. It was. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that many people in a stadium. Granted, I haven’t been to many games in the last 4-6 years, but UGA and Clemson can fill a stadium (last two games I’ve been to prior to this year), and basically turn people away (not enough tickets for demand). It’s how the buy in/mandatory contribution for both Clemson and UGA season tickets has gotten so expensive. Wins (or the expectation of) will almost always put butts in the seats. Win at the Clemson/Bama/even Ohio state level for a long enough stretch and people will come.

Ok when we win like Clemson Alabama and uga fans will show up there are how many college teams ? Question than how long will that be ?
Sadly, even when Tech has won consistently, over the past 30 years, we still didn't consistently fill the stands. Clemson and Georgia filled their stadiums long before they ever went on the streaks they have recently been on.