Preseason Depth Chart

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Howard needs to start over Benson and we need one of the WR reserves to step up and claim a spot. Looking forward to seeing it play out.

KirVonte is flat out the best B.B. we’ve had since Dwyer, I think you’re greatly underestimating him. Howard is a very talented kid in his own right, and who knows he may end up being better when it’s all said and done, but he hasn’t shown close to the performance yet to say he should be ahead of Benson. In a year where the WRs and ABs were very low-impact, teams were able to focus on the middle, yet KB was still able to put together some fantastic numbers in his first year starting. I expect to see him blow up and lead the ACC in rushing this year (~1500 yards or so).
As for WR, I’m looking at Jalen Camp expecting him to put it together for a Bay Bay 2008 or Smelter 2013 type season...not dominating but actually showing his true potential, and setting up for a monster year in 2019.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Howard had 1 fumble that PJ overreacted on.

Maybe PJ sees the kid carry the ball in practice a whole lot more than just what you see in games, and from that greater body of evidence concluded that he couldn’t be trusted to not fumble in clutch situations. You do realize the coaches watch these guys in practice too, right?
Btw I’m not knocking Jerry here, I think he’s a hell of a talent, I’m just pushing back against the idea that our coach “overreacted” based on one mistake.

Milwaukee

Banned
KirVonte is flat out the best B.B. we’ve had since Dwyer, I think you’re greatly underestimating him. Howard is a very talented kid in his own right, and who knows he may end up being better when it’s all said and done, but he hasn’t shown close to the performance yet to say he should be ahead of Benson. In a year where the WRs and ABs were very low-impact, teams were able to focus on the middle, yet KB was still able to put together some fantastic numbers in his first year starting. I expect to see him blow up and lead the ACC in rushing this year (~1500 yards or so).

See below:

Benson is a safe bet, Howard's just on another planet. Kid is a beast.
As far as the yards last season, that position will do that. What do you think Mills would've done with those touches?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
As for WR, I’m looking at Jalen Camp expecting him to put it together for a Bay Bay 2008 or Smelter 2013 type season...not dominating but actually showing his true potential, and setting up for a monster year in 2019.

I think KirVonte's performance will improve with less carries. He's an amazing athlete, but still a little on the smallish side. I think he was pretty banged up at the end of the year. I'll say I was pleasantly surprised by his showing last year, and I think he'll do better when/if Quon makes better reads.

Ant Allen was pretty good at the end of his shot at B-Back (he started to trust the holes and found them quickly). Synjyn had some really good days (but I think his surrounding cast that year supported his abilities better).

And I agree on Jalen. I think this is the year where he starts to show WR skills.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
The numbers put up by KirVonte last year are even more impressive considering that he was going to be the # 2 BB heading into training camp. What an incredible burden dumped onto him when Mills got himself kicked out of school after training camp started. This is much different than being the next man up when someone gets hurt in a game and you have to quickly step up in the moment.

I'm expecting great seasons from both him and TM who was also faced with a similar situation heading into last season with Matthew Jordan's injury.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I am all for using the big lineup -- Jerry at BB, kirvonte and JPM at A, Jalen hand on the ground with line over and if Dolphus can catch a jump ball, split him at wr on the over side.

With ABs I think we should put the best players on the field if they can handle the cross training.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
See below:

I guess I see Benson as way more than just a “safe bet”, but as a legit stud on his own. Even if Howard goes full beast, I don’t think there’s much room above Benson’s ceiling. As to what Mills would have done last year, I think it would have been about what KB put up last year, but he would have had an advantage by having KB to spell him and wear defenses down to dust. That 1-2 punch would have been like Laskey/Days at the end of 2014.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Is Masón in the running for any quality playing time or just in mop up duties this season?

That is up to him, he has the talent to push for playing time at both A and B back :) But you know that! :D

I think he will see quality time. He has 4-5 A backs ahead of him and 2 B backs but he has a great skill set that will serve him well

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's the thing about being a second hand fan.

I root for Georgia Tech in my head, I root for UVA in my heart.

During a Georgia Tech game I analyze the game. During a UVA game I I suffer.

I know what it's like for you guys. When Georgia Tech loses it's like a gut-punch, and when Georgia Tech wins all you feel is relief.

Yeah, the Highs are higher when it's a team you love, but the lows are lower too.

Georgia Tech is fun for me, and to paraphrase Danny Ocean's wife, they don't make me cry.

I have wept over UVA football. Georgia Tech was involved.

"I have wept over Georgia Tech football. UVA was involved". Yes, it has been that kind of a series, full of ups and downs for both teams. The absolute worst for UVA, even more so than 1990, was the Joe Hamilton led comeback in the fourth quarter at Grant Field. Can't remember the year but it was the game that had UVA way ahead with Aaron Brooks doing his thing then he tried to make something out of nothing fumbled the ball and Tech picked it up and ran it in. Dez White ran a short pass pattern literally all the way across the field with about half the Cavaliers having a shot at him for another score and it was (as so often happened with Tech teams in that era) Katie bar the door. That UVA team was balanced running and passing the ball and had great players on both sides of the ball. Just one of those things, so yes I can feel your pain. I remember watching Dez catch two touchdown passes and thinking why would Coach Lantz (UVA coordinator) not have him double covered? I guess he had his reason but old George was giving him hell all the same on the UVA sideline.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Howard needs to start over Benson and we need one of the WR reserves to step up and claim a spot. Looking forward to seeing it play out.

I am not sure about this. If one of the wide receiver reserves had shown something in spring ball it would be obvious by now. We are probably going to have to make it with who we have now. I am firmly convinced that the nature of B back is such that having two play a good bit is almost an absolute necessity. I know AA and Dwyer were the bell cows when they played but both of them were at 230 and could run like crazy. That kind of talent at that size is not an every year kind of thing for Georgia Tech. Our B backs take a terrific beating whether they have the ball or not. Kirvonte has proven to be tough and reliable but goodness he needs a break now and then. We are fortunate to have Jerry and we may as well use him judiciously. Having two tough runners at that position is a good problem to have.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I see Benson as way more than just a “safe bet”, but as a legit stud on his own. Even if Howard goes full beast, I don’t think there’s much room above Benson’s ceiling. As to what Mills would have done last year, I think it would have been about what KB put up last year, but he would have had an advantage by having KB to spell him and wear defenses down to dust. That 1-2 punch would have been like Laskey/Days at the end of 2014.
Agree. Will be nice to hopefully have a 1-2 punch of Benson & Howard that others will be compared to in the future ;)

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
"I have wept over Georgia Tech football. UVA was involved". Yes, it has been that kind of a series, full of ups and downs for both teams. The absolute worst for UVA, even more so than 1990, was the Joe Hamilton led comeback in the fourth quarter at Grant Field. Can't remember the year but it was the game that had UVA way ahead with Aaron Brooks doing his thing then he tried to make something out of nothing fumbled the ball and Tech picked it up and ran it in. Dez White ran a short pass pattern literally all the way across the field with about half the Cavaliers having a shot at him for another score and it was (as so often happened with Tech teams in that era) Katie bar the door. That UVA team was balanced running and passing the ball and had great players on both sides of the ball. Just one of those things, so yes I can feel your pain. I remember watching Dez catch two touchdown passes and thinking why would Coach Lantz (UVA coordinator) not have him double covered? I guess he had his reason but old George was giving him hell all the same on the UVA sideline.
1998 was a ridiculous game vs the Cavs in Atlanta. When Dez White turned the corner on his last TD, I thought the Upper East was going to shake loose. 41-38 part 2, IIRC.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1998 was a ridiculous game vs the Cavs in Atlanta. When Dez White turned the corner on his last TD, I thought the Upper East was going to shake loose. 41-38 part 2, IIRC.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Yep. That was the one. A cautionary note to any team with what seems like a big lead. A turnover, a quick touchdown, a three and out another touchdown and all of a sudden you are fighting for your life with the momentum swing. The announcer kept saying in the fourth quarter that UVA badly needed just one more score and a few minutes to give their defense a rest. They got neither and what had seemed like a game that was in the bag was in serious jeopardy before you could say "Dez White"