[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters
He may be a "kid" to Supersize, but in reality he is a young man. Have never met one so polite and gracious.
I will tell him you said that. Thanks, and I agree. He just turned 30 yesterday, but even somebody that age is still a "kid" to me....LOL BTW, his last name is Polite, so what do you expect? ;)

Last edited:

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would very much agree with SuperSize about it being easier to get in but harder to get out in the old days. I took an extra year getting a BS CHE in 82 - mainly because of a prof who took it as his personal mission in life to slim down the # of Chem Eng majors. The prof ( He who shall not be named) spent the entire class following the first test where 80% failed, explaining none of us needed to become engineers where we could hurt someone with our shortcomings. Instead he suggested we may want to consider another career such as designing dresses. Not kidding. This type of experience does tend to jade one’s views and I am glad to hear things have changed for the better - although it does toughen one for life’s trials.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I would very much agree with SuperSize about it being easier to get in but harder to get out in the old days. I took an extra year getting a BS CHE in 82 - mainly because of a prof who took it as his personal mission in life to slim down the # of Chem Eng majors. The prof ( He who shall not be named) spent the entire class following the first test where 80% failed, explaining none of us needed to become engineers where we could hurt someone with our shortcomings. Instead he suggested we may want to consider another career such as designing dresses. Not kidding. This type of experience does tend to jade one’s views and I am glad to hear things have changed for the better - although it does toughen one for life’s trials.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: How did some of y'all keep from punching his lights out??????

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In the old days we didn’t talk back to Prof’s - even when they deserved it. I did summon the nerve to go to his office at the end of the semester and ask why I received a D, even though my final average (33) was above the class average (31). He slowly turned to me and said “ Well I believe on average your class was exceptionally poor” then turned back to his work. End of conversation. Still remember the exact words to this day.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL!!! Whistling Straits from the tips is akin to PGA West from the tips! Pete Dye HATES golfers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I could not agree more, OJF. Word has it that Pete Dye said he wanted to be remembered as an SOB. I played WS and it reminded me of when I was a student at GA Tech. I never knew when a royal purple rotating shaft with barbs would ram me from out of nowhere.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I could not agree more, OJF. Word has it that Pete Dye said he wanted to be remembered as an SOB. I played WS and it reminded me of when I was a student at GA Tech. I never knew when a royal purple rotating shaft with barbs would ram me from out of nowhere.

Played PGA West in '89 shortly after the Skins Game was played. Hole#1 390 straight away par 4, benign right? Oh hell no, landing area at 245-255 yards off the tee. The ONLY level part of the fairway. Green was elevated, shallow and bunkered front and back. Course got worse from there. Pete Dye is a sadistic POS.

Animal02

Banned
I took an extra two quarters.....escaping in '83 because the.AE profs that taught structures HATED architecture students.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

It is true that it is harder to get in but easier to get out. It has gotten much harder to get in just in the last 4 years. If you don't have a 750 math SAT plus excellent grades and you are a non-resident, don't even bother to apply.

My son is a first semester transfer. He was SO much more qualified than I was coming out of HS (730 math and A in B/C calculus, for example), but he did not get accepted (neither of us were GA residents). He was able to transfer only because of the Conditional Transfer Pathway for children of alums. He always wanted to go to Tech, and he only applied to two schools--Tech and the one he transferred from.

Tech is still hard for STEM majors. I re-live it through my son as he gets his butt kicked. However, he is trying for A's and B's and I was just trying to get out.

Clough was no friend of athletics, but he did get rid of the flunk out culture that existed before and after the early '70's when I was there. The flunk out culture needed to go away and it has. When I went to orientation this fall, they stressed all of the academic help that is available. A speaker said "I understand that it used to not be this way." No kidding. They would flunk you out and not even say "sorry" as you were on your way to Vietnam.

Animal02

Banned
It is true that it is harder to get in but easier to get out. It has gotten much harder to get in just in the last 4 years. If you don't have a 750 math SAT plus excellent grades and you are a non-resident, don't even bother to apply.

My son is a first semester transfer. He was SO much more qualified than I was coming out of HS (730 math and A in B/C calculus, for example), but he did not get accepted (neither of us were GA residents). He was able to transfer only because of the Conditional Transfer Pathway for children of alums. He always wanted to go to Tech, and he only applied to two schools--Tech and the one he transferred from.

Tech is still hard for STEM majors. I re-live it through my son as he gets his butt kicked. However, he is trying for A's and B's and I was just trying to get out.

Clough was no friend of athletics, but he did get rid of the flunk out culture that existed before and after the early '70's when I was there. The flunk out culture needed to go away and it has. When I went to orientation this fall, they stressed all of the academic help that is available. A speaker said "I understand that it used to not be this way." No kidding. They would flunk you out and not even say "sorry" as you were on your way to Vietnam.
Interesting.....I had heard somewhere you were better off being out of state because they liked the extra tuition.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.....I had heard somewhere you were better off being out of state because they liked the extra tuition.

The target is 60% Georgia residents, 30% non-residents and 10% foreign. They have a LOT more out of state applicants so the acceptance rate is lower.

However, there is a lot of competition in metro Atlanta. It seems that they are under political pressure to admit students from all over Georgia. Getting in from metro Atlanta is probably--and I don't know the percentages--about like trying to get in from out of state. Also, they won't admit it, but being female is an advantage.

The school that gives an advantage for out of state for tuition generation is U of Florida.

Animal02

Banned
The target is 60% Georgia residents, 30% non-residents and 10% foreign. They have a LOT more out of state applicants so the acceptance rate is lower.

However, there is a lot of competition in metro Atlanta. It seems that they are under political pressure to admit students from all over Georgia. Getting in from metro Atlanta is probably--and I don't know the percentages--about like trying to get in from out of state. Also, they won't admit it, but being female is an advantage.

The school that gives an advantage for out of state for tuition generation is U of Florida.
I know U of Mich loves them some foreign students.....they pay a huge premium, and there are no restrictions on percentage of state students etc.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, I got my EE degree in March 1995. I was the definition of an average student and have forgotten basically EVERYTHING I learned. I have been working in telecom for 20+ years. I have been an "engineer" in some form or another, Technical Support Eng, Network Eng, etc, but I don't consider anything I do to be real engineering. Do get to work from home and avoid this horrible ATL traffic...yuck.

herb

Helluva Engineer

Female is a huge advantage, just look at admission percentages. Atlanta is under no more pressure than the rest of the state (excepting some of the very rural areas, aka God’s country) based on experience

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I guess I have the nerd mentality that Milwaukee pretty much denigrates, and I am neither proud of nor ashamed of that fact. I went to and got out of Tech in '66 with a BS in Phys and got out again in '67 with an MS in NE. I doubt very seriously that I could get in today, but my impression is that although it was easier to get in back in the 60s than it is today, it was probably harder to get out. That is just my IMPRESSION; I have no facts to back it up, but it just seems that it is not quite as hard there these days. Maybe that's because those who get in today are smarter than they were in the 60s. At any rate, in the 60's EVERYBODY went to the games. Now obviously, everybody didn't go, but I sure didn't know any students who didn't. And that's one of the thing that pisses me off today --- that student attendance is so pathetic. I simply don't buy the claim offered by some that they are too busy studying; I think that for whatever reason, they simply don't want to go. Frankly, I only personally know a few Tech alums, but those I know still support the team, and most of them go to the games, if not as season ticket holders, then whenever they can. But most of my Tech FAN friends either did not go there at all, or were unable to get out, and the majority of them also are either season ticket holders or go when they are able to. For the past two years I have brought a "kid" from my church with me to all the home games, and he has become a big and relatively knowledgeable fan simply because of the exposure he has had by coming with me. There is no way that he could even get into Tech today, much less make it there, but he has come to love the Jackets big time. So, even though I am probably a nerd by Milwaukee's standards, I am an enthusiastic nerd who, even at my age, gets as carried away at games as anyone else in the stadium, and I totally value and encourage the support of non-nerd non alums. If someone pulls for the Jackets, I really don't give a damn whether they went to Tech or not, and, as many have always said, we need a helluva lot more of them.

+1

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
In the old days we didn’t talk back to Prof’s - even when they deserved it. I did summon the nerve to go to his office at the end of the semester and ask why I received a D, even though my final average (33) was above the class average (31). He slowly turned to me and said “ Well I believe on average your class was exceptionally poor” then turned back to his work. End of conversation. Still remember the exact words to this day.

I have ZERO doubt this is exactly how it took place! Had similar story with a Physics prof. :mad: