[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
This is not a poll to call out anyone for attending whatever school they did attend, I am just wondering what percentage of this board attended Georgia Tech.

Milwaukee

Banned
Did not attend Tech

Undergrad Program 2008 - BS Psychology - Jacksonville State University 4.0 President's List (calculus and advanced calculus is simple, don't listen to these people on here)
Graduate Program 2012 - Counseling Psychology - Lakeland University

I like the mixture here of alums and non alums. I've come to the conclusion after 15 years attached to the program and financially investing in it that the non alum GT fans are the best fans we have, much better than the cheap complaining alums that usually don't even know much about sports to begin with. The alum fans are just a little on the weird side, let's face it, the nerdy stereotypes are true. That being said, there are outliers. I've met some of the coolest, most knowledgeable fans that actually did go to Tech but they're few and far between. Most alums here don't understand the fundamental aspects of sports but they do thoroughly enjoy making a spreadsheet that tells you our PPD rate in the rain vs Atlantic opponents on the road during the months of October and November. Hopefully TStan can tap into more intellectual sports fans and have them join the mix, we DESPERATELY need them. Like I said though, there are certainly outliers. But most of our alum are not guys or gals you wanna have a beer/cocktail with and talk football. Fortunately for us here at Swarm though, there's a good mix of both.

Long story short, our sidewalk fans are so much better and knowledgeable than our alum fans. We need so many more and we can start finally acting like a real fan base.

Ouch, Milwaukee throwing down the heat. #truth

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have attended Georgia Tech on fall Saturdays for 35 years but I didn't go to school there. It was a family tradition for me. Most of my family and extended family are Tech fans and none of us ever attended the school or any other school for that matter. One of my few family members that went to college, my uncle, went to Auburn and he was and still is a huge Tech fan! When he was in school there in the early 70's he would sit in the Auburn student section with his gold Tech shirt when we played over there. Our Tech sports roots run deep and we never attended.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My buddy just became a Battery 1SG in Korea. I know you'll be glad to get outta there! Enjoy Lewis. I was never stationed there myself. Did all my time in Baumholder, Germany.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
My buddy just became a Battery 1SG in Korea. I know you'll be glad to get outta there! Enjoy Lewis. I was never stationed there myself. Did all my time in Baumholder, Germany.

i was in Illesheim, Germany for bout 4.5 years. miss Germany at times. Fun place to be stationed for sure

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Did not attend Tech

Undergrad Program 2008 - BS Psychology - Jacksonville State University 4.0 President's List (calculus and advanced calculus is simple, don't listen to these people on here)
Graduate Program 2012 - Counseling Psychology - Lakeland University

I like the mixture here of alums and non alums. I've come to the conclusion after 15 years attached to the program and financially investing in it that the non alum GT fans are the best fans we have, much better than the cheap complaining alums that usually don't even know much about sports to begin with. The alum fans are just a little on the weird side, let's face it, the nerdy stereotypes are true. That being said, there are outliers. I've met some of the coolest, most knowledgeable fans that actually did go to Tech but they're few and far between. Most alums here don't understand the fundamental aspects of sports but they do thoroughly enjoy making a spreadsheet that tells you our PPD rate in the rain vs Atlantic opponents on the road during the months of October and November. Hopefully TStan can tap into more intellectual sports fans and have them join the mix, we DESPERATELY need them. Like I said though, there are certainly outliers. But most of our alum are not guys or gals you wanna have a beer/cocktail with and talk football. Fortunately for us here at Swarm though, there's a good mix of both.

Long story short, our sidewalk fans are so much better and knowledgeable than our alum fans. We need so many more and we can start finally acting like a real fan base.

Ouch, Milwaukee throwing down the heat. #truth

Lol, I am an alum fan that doesn't fit any of your little stereotypes.

And no to anyone with half a brain in engineering calculus isn't hard. The calculus thing comes up in reference to negative recruiting. The perception is that calculus is hard, and to be honest if your entire high school education was centered around basic academic competency to ride athletics. GT will kill you. You didn't attend the school so you don't know. The subject matter is not what is difficult about calc 1 and 2 at ma tech. Its the way the information is presented. If you aren't a self learner you can easily fail a calculus class with 400 other students in it in a lecture hall. Where the TA that teaches you doesn't even really know your name and just regurgitates the professor who was only really there on the first days lessons.

Im glad you like tech, I am glad you donate but people who try to talk down on something they don't possess. Well. Use that counseling degree to determine why someone might want to do that.

As for knowing the sport. If you don't recognize my name for that on this board. just do a search on posts and look for scheme talks.

Milwaukee

Banned
Lol, I am an alum fan that doesn't fit any of your little stereotypes.

And no to anyone with half a brain in engineering calculus isn't hard. The calculus thing comes up in reference to negative recruiting. The perception is that calculus is hard, and to be honest if your entire high school education was centered around basic academic competency to ride athletics. GT will kill you. You didn't attend the school so you don't know. The subject matter is not what is difficult about calc 1 and 2 at ma tech. Its the way the information is presented. If you aren't a self learner you can easily fail a calculus class with 400 other students in it in a lecture hall. Where the TA that teaches you doesn't even really know your name and just regurgitates the professor who was only really there on the first days lessons.

Im glad you like tech, I am glad you donate but people who try to talk down on something they don't possess. Well. Use that counseling degree to determine why someone might want to do that.

As for knowing the sport. If you don't recognize my name for that on this board. just do a search on posts and look for scheme talks.

Bud, you have a nice degree, but it ain't MIT. The classroom environment you're describing as if its NASA is pretty much every campus in the US. "400 students, TA's not knowing your name because there's so many students". Good Lord man, how did you "Get Out" with that going on? That's just college, and any decent student with good work ethic should walk right through it. Techs a great school and one should have pride about their diploma, but if you've convinced yourself it's more impressive than it actually is then I guess I shouldn't care. I want everyone to be happy and have high self esteem.

All that being said, there are in fact outliers. But the outliers are easy to spot due to their self awareness.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
A bunch of drunken nonsense
:rolleyes:

The subject matter is not what is difficult about calc 1 and 2 at ma tech. Its the way the information is presented. If you aren't a self learner you can easily fail a calculus class with 400 other students in it in a lecture hall. Where the TA that teaches you doesn't even really know your name and just regurgitates the professor who was only really there on the first days lessons.
Yup. I took calculus at tech, and then re-took calc at GSU 9 years later in prep for grad school. Georgia State required about 20% of the effort that Tech required. Calc II didn’t even include linear algebra at GSU..

I agree - Tech needs more non-alum fans. I even think the term “sidewalk fans” is a bit derogatory and I wish it weren’t used. My dad was a fan and he never attended Tech, but that’s how I became a fan and eventually a graduate. But to see a non-alum come in here and talk down on the alums... :rolleyes:

Animal02

Banned
:rolleyes:

Yup. I took calculus at tech, and then re-took calc at GSU 9 years later in prep for grad school. Georgia State required about 20% of the effort that Tech required. Calc II didn’t even include linear algebra at GSU..

I agree - Tech needs more non-alum fans. I even think the term “sidewalk fans” is a bit derogatory and I wish it weren’t used. My dad was a fan and he never attended Tech, but that’s how I became a fan and eventually a graduate. But to see a non-alum come in here and talk down on the alums... :rolleyes:
Yes,. I escaped from tech, then got a second degree at the U of Detroit. The course work was a joke compared to Tech. I but in 20% of the effort and the goal was a full point higher.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Bud, you have a nice degree, but it ain't MIT. The classroom environment you're describing as if its NASA is pretty much every campus in the US. "400 students, TA's not knowing your name because there's so many students". Good Lord man, how did you "Get Out" with that going on? That's just college, and any decent student with good work ethic should walk right through it. Techs a great school and one should have pride about their diploma, but if you've convinced yourself it's more impressive than it actually is then I guess I shouldn't care. I want everyone to be happy and have high self esteem.

All that being said, there are in fact outliers. But the outliers are easy to spot due to their self awareness.

It ain't MIT, but depending on major it's not far off. When I graduated AE it was consistently top 5 and MIT wasn't considered the best. Some rankings have GT as the best AE in the nation.

Having said that, it doesn't matter. I am reasonably intelligent and I make a decent amount of money (far less than 250k), but that's not the be all end all.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t attend GT. I have two cousins that graduated from Tech. However, my dad grew up in ATL and went to Bobby Dodd as a kid with my grandpa. I’ve been to a bunch of Tech games but the best was when I had the pleasure of going to a game with my dad in Bobby Dodd. I will take my son when he’s old enough as well to keep the tradition going.

Go Jackets!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m an alum but I was never inundated with Tech culture. I got an associate degree from a community college and then transferred to Tech, sort of. I was part of the GTREP program where GT partnered with Georgia Southern and Armstrong (now defunct). Two days per week, I would go to a Georgia Southern classroom where we would join the Tech Atlanta classes via satellite feed and two days per week we would attend classes at the Tech campus in Savannah. I only took one exam in Atlanta, the day before I walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Milwaukee, are you just trying to piss off all the alums here speaking like a know it all? It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder b/c you didn't attend Tech and I'm not sure who can help you with that than yourself. You can say anything you want like you know it but the thing is, it's simply not true. You may have taken calc at Jacksonville State and may have passed with flying colors but that doesn't mean you can just automatically apply your experience to the actual experience of what a Tech student goes through. When the emag prof walks into the lecture hall and announces that the class average of the test that we took the other day is a 42... then to the shock and horror of everyone in the room, proceeds to say that he's not gonna curve it b/c he's got tenure and he doesn't give a **** even if half the class failed... when you've been put through that, then we'll talk. When you meet a transfer student from GSU (and no knock on GSU) taking CS1501 and he has to retake intro to CS again and he tells you that what they covered at GSU in an entire qtr is what we covered in a week at Tech... When the graduation percent is really 60-something percent... not because kids are dumb but Tech is really that unforgiving... unless you adjust as a freshman, drop all your bad habits, and study like crazy, you're not making it to sophomore year at Tech. The kids that were in all the AP classes in high school and were considered as one of the "smart" kids in high school... all the sudden, you're a nobody and feel dumb b/c so many kids are smarter than you. You may have a near 4.0 in high school... first qtr, you get a 2.1. That was me and I had to claw my way out of the huge hole I dug during my freshman year for the 4 years that followed. When I actually pulled out a B in emag, that was among my proudest moments of my student career. And btw, at MIT, they gave out pass/fail to freshmen, not the standard A-F grades (they have since changed that it appears).

Sidewalk fans are of course welcomed and appreciated and this forum should be open to anyone that likes rooting for Tech football. Tech sure needs it since by default, if you're born in the state of Georgia, you're automatically become those idiot fans that walk the streets of Atlanta on a conference championship Saturday barking like animals (I live in Midtown and it actually happened, though last year, not this year). And c'mon bro, plenty of alums know football here... some are casual fans, some can do a dissertation on the Xs and Os. I know of at least one alum here personally that fall in the latter camp.

Finally, since we're talking about how easy Tech is, I'll leave on this note. Here's the lyrics to our alma mater (alternate version):

Oh Shafts of Tech arise behold
The falling of my GPA;
From 3.6 to 2.4,
I got a 1.5 today.

The shaft I got in calculus,
The ream I got in physics,
My P-Chem prof is such a whore,
That I wish that she would finally die.

I'm signing off the shaft list....
Gonna try my luck at uga.

Animal02

Banned
Milwaukee, are you just trying to piss off all the alums here speaking like a know it all? It seems like you have a chip on your shoulder b/c you didn't attend Tech and I'm not sure who can help you with that than yourself. You can say anything you want like you know it but the thing is, it's simply not true. You may have taken calc at Jacksonville State and may have passed with flying colors but that doesn't mean you can just automatically apply your experience to the actual experience of what a Tech student goes through. When the emag prof walks into the lecture hall and announces that the class average of the test that we took the other day is a 42... then to the shock and horror of everyone in the room, proceeds to say that he's not gonna curve it b/c he's got tenure and he doesn't give a **** even if half the class failed... when you've been put through that, then we'll talk. When you meet a transfer student from GSU (and no knock on GSU) taking CS1501 and he has to retake intro to CS again and he tells you that what they covered at GSU in an entire qtr is what we covered in a week at Tech... When the graduation percent is really 60-something percent... not because kids are dumb but Tech is really that unforgiving... unless you adjust as a freshman, drop all your bad habits, and study like crazy, you're not making it to sophomore year at Tech. The kids that were in all the AP classes in high school and were considered as one of the "smart" kids in high school... all the sudden, you're a nobody and feel dumb b/c so many kids are smarter than you. You may have a near 4.0 in high school... first qtr, you get a 2.1. That was me and I had to claw my way out of the huge hole I dug during my freshman year for the 4 years that followed. And btw, at MIT, they gave out pass/fail to freshmen, not the A-F grading system. (they have since changed that it appears).

Sidewalk fans are of course welcomed and appreciated and this forum should be open to anyone that likes rooting for Tech football. Tech sure needs it since by default, if you're born in the state of Georgia, you're automatically become those idiot fans that walk the streets of Atlanta on a conference championship Saturday barking like animals (I live in Midtown and it actually happened, though last year, not this year). And c'mon bro, plenty of alums know football here... some are casual fans, some can do a dissertation on the Xs and Os.

Finally, since we're talking about how easy Tech is, I'll leave on this note. Here's the lyrics to our alma mater (alternate version):

Oh Shafts of Tech arise behold
The falling of my GPA;
From 3.6 to 2.4,
I got a 1.5 today.

The shaft I got in calculus,
The ream I got in physics,
My P-Chem prof is such a whore,
That I wish that she would finally die.

I'm signing off the shaft list....
Gonna try my luck at uga.
I remember freshman orientation. They asked the National merit scholarship to stand up..I thought I was so special.....except that a quarter of the room was standing as well.......
I too graduated near the top of my class....it took me until graduation to dig myself out of the similar hole I dug.