[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Since we are doing polls, we should combine them with Did you attend Tech and want to keep the option.

Or did you attend Tech, want to keep the option and have a dog named Skippy?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
My buddy just became a Battery 1SG in Korea. I know you'll be glad to get outta there! Enjoy Lewis. I was never stationed there myself. Did all my time in Baumholder, Germany.

Baumholder! That's a place I haven't thought about since I was there in 72/73. Not stationed there, but went there for maneuvers, training, punishment, etc. Can't believe we still have troops there.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Tech grad, 77. As are two nieces and their husbands. Disgusted with some of my Tech friends that live within a couple of hours drive of BDS that won't even accept my offer of 50 yd line tickets.

I work with someone who claims to be a big Tech fan but hasn’t been to a game in years. Complains about CPJ’s offense...boring. I sent him CPJ’s list of accomplishments but he didn’t care. He lives less than an hour from BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I work with someone who claims to be a big Tech fan but hasn’t been to a game in years. Complains about CPJ’s offense...boring. I sent him CPJ’s list of accomplishments but he didn’t care. He lives less than an hour from BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man this pisses me off living in Seattle. I made the drive every home game when I lived in Orlando. I’m jealous of anyone who can make it to a game without paying 600-800 just for plane travel.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech grad, 77. As are two nieces and their husbands. Disgusted with some of my Tech friends that live within a couple of hours drive of BDS that won't even accept my offer of 50 yd line tickets.
After all these years, I still have trouble calling it BDS... It's still Grant Field to me! :)

Then again, the "Indianapolis" Colts also still sounds strange to my ears...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It is true that it is harder to get in but easier to get out. It has gotten much harder to get in just in the last 4 years. If you don't have a 750 math SAT plus excellent grades and you are a non-resident, don't even bother to apply.

My son is a first semester transfer. He was SO much more qualified than I was coming out of HS (730 math and A in B/C calculus, for example), but he did not get accepted (neither of us were GA residents). He was able to transfer only because of the Conditional Transfer Pathway for children of alums. He always wanted to go to Tech, and he only applied to two schools--Tech and the one he transferred from.

Tech is still hard for STEM majors. I re-live it through my son as he gets his butt kicked. However, he is trying for A's and B's and I was just trying to get out.

Clough was no friend of athletics, but he did get rid of the flunk out culture that existed before and after the early '70's when I was there. The flunk out culture needed to go away and it has. When I went to orientation this fall, they stressed all of the academic help that is available. A speaker said "I understand that it used to not be this way." No kidding. They would flunk you out and not even say "sorry" as you were on your way to Vietnam.

That is pretty much how my brother in law (RIP) described it. EE graduated in 1969. Smartest man I ever knew and was a true gentleman and a wonderful husband to my sister.

Towers219

Georgia Tech Fan
Class of '76 but BArch was a five year program so class of '77, had to pay my way so worked first on campus then full time at a small arch firm in midtown.... Got out in 79!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would very much agree with SuperSize about it being easier to get in but harder to get out in the old days. I took an extra year getting a BS CHE in 82 - mainly because of a prof who took it as his personal mission in life to slim down the # of Chem Eng majors. The prof ( He who shall not be named) spent the entire class following the first test where 80% failed, explaining none of us needed to become engineers where we could hurt someone with our shortcomings. Instead he suggested we may want to consider another career such as designing dresses. Not kidding. This type of experience does tend to jade one’s views and I am glad to hear things have changed for the better - although it does toughen one for life’s trials.
Even in something like a social science course this happened to many of us. Was it the history? Professor who showed up on his first day and announced “I am Professor Bastard W**** and I have that name for good reason”. He lived up to his name and did not make it easy in a non STEM course.